X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Originally posted by Falcon67
    From my manufacturing days - I remember engineers telling me that all plastics shrink. Depending on construction, they will eventually fail in some capacity, crack, split, embrittle, etc. Fuel or no fuel, in the sun or in the dark.
    The amazing thing is I sat in class after class at Umass to learn this.

One of the reasons you can't just up and change a material on the fly, each mold has to be built for the material. Nylon is going to behave differently than Krayton.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon67
    replied
    From my manufacturing days - I remember engineers telling me that all plastics shrink. Depending on construction, they will eventually fail in some capacity, crack, split, embrittle, etc. Fuel or no fuel, in the sun or in the dark.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Interesting.

It's a tradeoff situation and here is how:

Plastic materials fail when exposed to petrol, sunlight, temp changes and vibration. Even a petrol "resistant" polymer will degrade over time, especially when the other factors are present.

Aluminum does not degrade in sunlight, will not fail from this range of temp changes and the vibration is a non issue.

Long term the corrosion could be an issue but my thinking is given the amount of "plastic-fantastic" in the rest of the engine something else will cause a permanent failure long before this block of aluminum does.

Leave a comment:

• The Fixer
    replied
    Plastic is actually the better choice....

So many of these small engine units sit idle for long periods and condensation forms in the fuel tanks causing most of the carb problems. While that aluminum piece you made may look nice and even work well there is a strong possibility that down the road it may well be the cause a of poor running condition due to corrosion. Some manufacturers have even gone to plastic carb bodies!

jmho
    al

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    The arrangement came from me having a "just" a snow-blower and him having "just" a lawn-mower for awhile.

Works out quite well, I love blasting those huge plow-drifts apart with the 'blower. My kind of winter-sport.

Leave a comment:

• digger_doug
    replied
    Originally posted by Liger Zero
    Neighbor is out mowing his lawn, once in awhile he runs his tractor through my yard and mows my lawn... in exchange I run my snowblower across his driveway to break up the plow-bank during the winter.
    Last time the neighbor did that to me, I borowed my friends backhoe,
    promptly dropped (2) 4,000 "mafia blocks" on the property line
    to keep him out. Had a delivery of fire wood, used my driveway,
    and drove over my field (to get to his place) he told the driver
    it was o.k. to do (85,000 lb oshkosh) never did fill the ruts.

Has a tractor mounted snowblower, and never once offered anything,
    even after doing a portable weld job, and other work for him for
    gratis.

There are friends, and there are neighbors.....

Your set-up sounds like a better situation.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Living life to the full.

John,

you live dangerously but can still charm the birds both out of the trees - and their knickers - but the boom will be lowered sooner or later!!!

Live a short life but a merry one - while the good times last!!

I must say that post as a good example an alternative colourful language. I am tempted to give it a go but being of Irish (Mick and Prod) extraction, I may only see things in shades of green and orange as opposed to some who only see in black and white with no recourse to shades of grey - at all.

I wonder how LZ would go with that stunt of yours with his wife being a machinist??

If he did, I'd guess we'd be passing the hat around for two widows instead of one.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Originally posted by Errol Groff
    So apparently your neighbors mower did not look like mine did last spring after it suddently stopped..

http://neme-s.org/Fire/a_hot_time_in...town_tonig.htm

Now using a new to me, pre-owned, MTD rider that works great so far. $250 vs. the $1000 to $2000 for a new one.
    Yeah. I saw all the smoke and assumed that's what I was going to encounter in the back yards.

You'd think they'd design these pumps so they don't suck an entire tank of gas into the crankcase upon failure... or is that intentional?
    ...Slow leak slowly poisons the oil and causes the bearings to seize suddenly.

Wouldn't put it past them.

Leave a comment:

• Errol Groff
    replied
    So apparently your neighbors mower did not look like mine did last spring after it suddently stopped..

http://neme-s.org/Fire/a_hot_time_in...town_tonig.htm

Now using a new to me, pre-owned, MTD rider that works great so far. $250 vs. the $1000 to $2000 for a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    It's not a one-shot plastic piece, three separate pieces for the housing and at least two for the valve.

I know for a fact that molding these in bulk would cost far less than casting or machining. *shrug* No intention of going into mass production.

Leave a comment:

• Circlip
    replied
    Whilst your observations on the right material for the job are admirable LZ, compare casting and machining with a one shot plastic molding. Not advocating the latter, but down to eekingnomics.

Regards Ian.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Good on ya,it feels good to win one every once in awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Best Typo EVER!

Originally posted by Evan
    So where is the picture of the thong?
    Let me check with the wife before I post it.
    Last edited by Liger Zero; 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Originally posted by tdkkart
    Before you get too excited, you're local engine shop is making a killing:
    http://out2win.com/catalog/fuelpump.html
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/fuel_kpump.cfm

It is neat when you can pull this stuff off though. I can't count how many reduced shank drill bits and quickie welding jobs I did for one neighbor.
    Yeah that's quite a price diff even considering shipping.

Problem is though those are still the same sort of plastic-fantastic crap that I hate.

Having a background with the stuff I know for a fact the chosen material and the application do not match. This sort of service calls for a metal piece.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    So where is the picture of the thong?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X