HF Digital Height Gage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF Digital Height Gage

Does anyone have one of these? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93488

I now have a surface plate and need a height gage to go with it. I've looked at the usual inexpensive suppliers but HF's is the least expensive of all of them. I have 2 of their digital calipers and have no complaints with them. I'm looking for someine that has one before I plunk down the cash.

Before the flaming starts, I've looked around and don't see a nice used Mitutoyo or Starret for an amount that I can afford at the moment. I can dream about a really nice one but need one that I can afford now.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=621-8421

This one would be more accurate, and last longer too.
    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

I have one that I got on sale for about $25 when they were closing them out of the stores and it is not bad. If I had to pay full price I think that I would save a little more and try to get a real one though. Under about 2" of difference it is accurate within -.0005, the more you go the more it seems to lose (up to -.002 at around 6"). I mostly use it for setting non-critical tool offsets on my cnc mill, and it is fine for that. Anything serious and I touch off with tissue paper.

Comment

Dickey,

You can find a nice used surface gauge on e-bay. I've invested almost exactly $200.00 in 2 surface gauges(shipping included), One is a digital 24 inch dual column digital Mitutoyo the other is a 12 inch dual column dial Etalon. Both are very nice units, great quality and feel. If your willing to be patient they can be had at great prices. If your willing to use a vernier style they can be had much cheaper. I have a nice B&S vernier tucked away that I still use on occasion. I think it cost me a grand total of $23.00 when I picked it up on ebay a while back. A guy I work with got his 10 inch Mitutoyo dial for $35.00 +shipping with 2 extra scribers, both brand new in the box. Heck the scribers alone are $50 each out of the catalogs. For the price range of either of the cheap imports you can find a nice starrett, B&S, or mitutoyo.

If you prefer to not use e-bay that's cool too. Best of luck either way!

Comment

Originally posted by steverice
          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=621-8421

This one would be more accurate, and last longer too.

That is assuming you are talking about a user that can read a vernier.
          Those people are getting fewer and further between.
          I doubt that she can do it now, but I did teach my wife awhile back, she did pretty good once I drew here a picture of 1st number, 2nd number, 3rd number.........

Comment

If you cant read a vernier, then how do you use a mic?

Comment

Vernier scale is old school and it's going the way of slide ruler, unless it's a hobby and time isn't money.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieKnobbie
                If you cant read a vernier, then how do you use a mic?
                Those come digital too! LOL

I can read a vernier, but I can read digital a lot faster.

I have a cheap height gage like the original poster mentions. It works great. Don't count on better than 0.001" accuracy, but for that, I have had no problems.

Very useful addition to the shop.

Cheers,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Just use one of the HF calipers and and make one. Here is a link to how it's done. I made one and it works great.
                  http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/di...ht_gauge-e.htm
                  Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

Digital Height Guages

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                    Does anyone have one of these? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93488

I now have a surface plate and need a height gage to go with it. I've looked at the usual inexpensive suppliers but HF's is the least expensive of all of them. I have 2 of their digital calipers and have no complaints with them. I'm looking for someine that has one before I plunk down the cash.

Before the flaming starts, I've looked around and don't see a nice used Mitutoyo or Starret for an amount that I can afford at the moment. I can dream about a really nice one but need one that I can afford now.
                    Hi DB.
                    I reckon I have the brother to that digital height guage and have had no problems with it - at all. I'd be only to happy to recommend it as I'm pretty sure it will do all that you want.

0.001" (a thou) is some where between good enough and pretty accurate - mostly. If you are marking out with the supplied scriber, that's plenty good enough.

If you need to be more accurate or more certain fit a Test Dial Indicator (TDI) to it and use it as a comparator to see how the job under test compares with a known dimension - which can be the job itself, a 1-2-3 block or blocks (most are within 0.0002" or better = "a tenth" or 2 tenths") or similar. If you have a set of "shop grade" slip guages, you are laughing.

The thing I really do like is the very fine adjusting screw mechanism.

"Starrett" and "Mitutoyo" and a few others might be "better" (new or in good condition) but are questionable if bought used.

In my opinion, now-a-days, "Starrett, "Moore & Wright" are a bit over-hyped as those who tell you that they are "US made" may not be right as current standards may not be as good as the "good old" stuff. One the other hand all "Asian" is not crap - some is - same as some USA-made stuff and some - most in my experience - is very good indeed.

The good Asian stuff is hard to beat on a "bang for buck" basis.

Don't let anyone else harangue or bully you into doing as they say or want - at your expense. Just sift any advice and act on your own judgment and in your own best interest.

Just a hint. If your are using your height guage (fitted with a DTI) as a comparator on a surface plate or your mill table - or a sheet of good ground "float glass" - leave the height guage in the same place on the "surface plate" and move the job under the TDI - not the other way round - and you will get optimum results.

I quite often just use an old-fashioned - but still very useful and effective surface guage with a fine-adjusted mast. Before any one "knocks" it, that is the same basic method as used to adjust DTI's for run-out test on lathes and mills as well a "tramming" a mill in many cases.

Comment

For a number of purposes I find a vernier calliper much quicker and more convenient than a digital calliper, especially without auto off.

Phil

PS: Interestingly my version of "Word" doesn't even include vernier in the spell check dictionary.

Comment

"Vernier scale is old school and it's going the way of slide ruler, unless it's a hobby and time isn't money."

Just think how many thousands of dollars you could be making in the time it takes to use a couple of brain cells. And speaking of Cells, they don't run out of power on a vernier so it MUST be good for the ecology??

Self wipeing toilet paper? THAT could be a great invention.

Regards Ian.
                        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

In-line vernier scales are far more difficult to read accurately than the rotary style on a micrometer IMO. I have very good vision, but I have trouble consistently getting better than a couple thou on a straight vernier.

Dial calipers are the way to go if you want an analog device.

They even make dial height gages too if you want to go that route.

Comment

I have the HF digital and like it for the most part. It's much nicer than a couple of dial style import gauges I also have. Mine cost about $80 with the 20% off coupon. If you are stisfied with the HF calipers you should like the scale as well.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your input. I haven't given up on finding a good used one but if I don't find one pretty soon, I'm going to give the HF one a try.

I'm hoping it's at least as good as the calipers. They have done fine for my usage in my home shop.
                              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                              X