Peristaltic pump plan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peristaltic pump plan.

Just wondering if anyone knows where one could find a drawing to build a small peristaltic pump. I would like to pump between 0.05 to 1.0 ml/minute. It looks to be fairly straight forward project using a eccentric with a roller such as a small bearing. I have a variety of step and dc motors to drive the pump at variable speed rates.
    Thanks,

The ones we use have two bearings on a cross bar that is run by a DC motor through a gear reduction, the eccentric is in the cast housing that the bearing run in. The hose is just vinyl tubing. My boss pays 1200.00 dollars for ours and they look dead simple to build. As a matter of fact you can buy all the components from McMaster Carr and build one for about 600.00 dollars.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eccentric_pump.gif

That one looks really simple and cheap to make....

- Bart
      Bart Smaalders
      http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

if this isn't in some NASA-certified cleanroom or some medical situation, just use one of these:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r...100&Nav=grel07

i think i have the FP106 to dose chemicals into a saltwater fishtank i have. i am not using it right now, but at one point it ran for about 3 years and all i did was replace the tubing a couple of times and oil the bushing in it. $78 is a HECK of a lot cheaper than $1200.

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

For that low of a volume you could salvage the ink pump from a scrap printer. The last one I salvaged was a complete unit by itself, so it would be easy enough to mount and hook up.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I thought all perstaltic pumps used silicone tubing as vinyl would tend to loose its plastisiser to whatever it was pumping.

Peter
            I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Vinyl isn't suitable for a pump as it is too stiff. Silicone tubing is the material of choice.

You should be able to figure out how to build one from these pictures.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I once had a requirement for a drip-feed of lubricant during a durability test of a product. The test had to run continuously for a couple of weeks. None of the off-the-shelf peristalic pumps would have survived or had the fluid compatibility (ATF). Any other pump I could find provided just too much volume.

I ended up building my own piston pump. The pump was similar to a wobbler steam engine, the piston and cylinder with check valves submerged near the bottom of the fluid reservoir, a long connecting rod to a 40-50 rpm gearmotor driven crank. No rings or seals were fitted to the piston, just a close fit to the cylinder. The pump only had to lift the oil 3-4' and no pressure was involved. Bore was 1/4" stroke was 3/8". Oil from the test was collected in a sump and drained back to the reservoir.

I can post photo & drawing next week if any intrest.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk
                  I thought all perstaltic pumps used silicone tubing as vinyl would tend to loose its plastisiser to whatever it was pumping.

Peter

We use them to pump special Locktite products and Scotchgrip(registered trademark). One is water based and the other petroleum solvent based, acetone, I think. The secret ingredient in both is diotomacious earth. The tubing is usually replaced after a couple of runs, depending on the volume. Silicone rubber just won't stand up. It all depends on what you're pumping.
                  Last edited by Rustybolt; 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Hey Wes,

I am curious about your design.

Rob

Comment

Have a look at the mechanical lubricator for a model steam loco Rob, basically an inverted "Wobbler", the "Flywheel" has ratchet teeth cut onto it and is turned by a rocking lever.

Regards Ian.
                      You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by spkrman15
                        Hey Wes,

I am curious about your design.

Rob
                        Photo and drawing(I hope) Monday or Tuesday.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          Vinyl isn't suitable for a pump as it is too stiff. Silicone tubing is the material of choice.
                          We use Cole-Parmer peristaltic pumps at work quite a bit and generally use Tygon (PVC) or most often Norprene. The latter is stiffer than Tygon but has a longer lifetime. The pumps we use have 3 rollers inside of an acryilc or polycarbonate housing with the tubing between the two. The rollers pinch the tubing against the inside of the housing so the stiffness isn't a major issue as it may be with the pump you pictured.
                          Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

No rush Wes, It is just for my curiousity
                            Rob

Comment

Pump

Or do like the IV infusion system, build it with about 10 solenoids and fire them in sequence.

From the ones I have seen.

Thanks,
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X