Mods to magnetic base indicator holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods to magnetic base indicator holder

Here are some modifications to an HF magnetic base I got a few weeks ago.

For ten bucks it's a pretty amazing value. However...

One of the plastic knob/nuts broke off so I suspended the remaining piece with the sleeve with the metric? threads in epoxy and after it hardened turned it to make a nice round knob - one that can be easily turned from any direction in sometimes limited space, and easier to grab with oily fingers.

Earlier I replaced the bolt and small piece of knurled rod that held the indicator with a scrap yard quick release, I think from a scooter - much easier to tighten now and stays put. The original would loosen and the indicator would drop just as I was getting the rest in place and tightened.

Also replaced the stock arm (with fine adjust) with a plain longer aluminum rod and added a 4-40 screw at the end so the rod won't fall out when everything's loose. The fine adjust worked okay but didn't seem to be really necessary.

The magnet is pretty strong and can hold the rig firmly on a curved vertical surface.

I hope this is useful - I'd like to give back something as I learn here everyday.

Gary

Nice. I like the quick release. I have the same problem with the black plastic knobs fracturing.

The fine adjust comes in handy when indicating things in a chuck with independent jaws. You can measure opposite sides and then use the fine adjustment to set it to zero 1/2 way between the two measurements. Then it's just a matter of getting both sides to adjust to zero.

With the electronic dial indicator you can zero it at any point too.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb
      Nice. I like the quick release. I have the same problem with the black plastic knobs fracturing.

The fine adjust comes in handy when indicating things in a chuck with independent jaws. You can measure opposite sides and then use the fine adjustment to set it to zero 1/2 way between the two measurements. Then it's just a matter of getting both sides to adjust to zero.

With the electronic dial indicator you can zero it at any point too.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I keep finding uses for the quick releases.

Thanks for the tip about the fine adjust. I have the piece and can swap if need be.

I do wish the digital indicator had a wire or something to zero because I find pressing the button can move it off a bit. Not much, maybe .0005" but still...

Gary

Comment

Working...
      X