What I have been making....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I have been making....

I decided it was time for a new bench to put my new vise on and get rid of the crappy one that I made about 4yrs ago...

I kinda like my work so far so I thought I would share. I still have to make and install drawers into the open space.. gonna have 4 drawers....

I am big in using items I have scrounged or have gotten for free...So far the only things that I have paid for are the E.R. Wagner casters. I will have to buy the drawer slides and some wood for the drawers.. otherwise, everything else I obtained for free (which also dictated the design)
    No, vise wasnt free.

What I am kinda surprised with but was hoping for is that the casters are tremendous... When I lock the 2 down, the table doesnt rock or move 1 bit. I was able to put in the bar you see and take my sawzall to it just fine... table didnt budge, rock, sway or anything... way cool.

Thanks for letting me share!

Vise?

Nice job. Where did you scrounge the vise? Jim

Comment

Is the top aluminum? I've never seen that pattern before. What's it called?

Comment

Wow, crappy pics... sorry guys...

The top is not aluminum... its a plastic on top.. It was free from my wifes work.. they got all new counter tops and this was an extra section...

I am leery about having a wood/plastic table top, which is one reason I did the carriage bolt thing.. gives me options later without having to start all over.

Sadly JBL37, I had to purchase the vise new....

Comment

Between the vise and the casters I would say he's hit the lottery and now he's rubbing it in
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
            Between the vise and the casters I would say he's hit the lottery and now he's rubbing it in
            Yes he is, I would never do that

Good looking work table and sounds like it has more then just a pretty face.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              Ahem, I paid for those.... the rest was free....LOL

Comment

(rub) sorry the blurry pics are killing me... 1 more (rub)

Comment

Work Bench

Now that you have the bench finished and the nice looking vise mounted, start over with the vise mounting. A vise should be located so the jaws can hold a long section of material in the vertical position and clear the edge of the workbench.

JRW

Comment

Originally posted by J. R. Williams
                    Now that you have the bench finished and the nice looking vise mounted, start over with the vise mounting. A vise should be located so the jaws can hold a long section of material in the vertical position and clear the edge of the workbench.

JRW

hmmmm, i was afraid to get to close to the edge..

Damn your knowledge and common sense! Leave the curtain alone...
                    Last edited by cuemaker; 07-15-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cuemaker
                      Ahem, I paid for those.... the rest was free....LOL
                      Okay,it was a scratch off ticket and not the Powerball

Nice job anyway.My question is where exactly did you find decent casters?Enquiring minds what to know.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Easy fix, if and when you need to hold something vertically in the vice, just chop of the corner to the right of the vice.

Comment

I got them through work....they are E.R. Wagners...

http://www.toolfetch.com/p-274-1f88e5438007d90.shtml

Not my work but shows all the details.. Good price too

Comment

Ok, so now you need an accessory for that rolling bench. Those are what, 4 inch high castors? Make yourself a 4 1/16 high L shaped support that you can slip under the corner where the vice is. Just make it a tad higher than the bottom of the stand so the support actually takes the load of the bench without lifting that corner. It tales the load off the castor on that corner so you can really pound on the anvil part of the vise, or push against the vise without the stand wanting to move around.

My vise is on a fixed bench, but adding a 2x6 vertical support directly under the vise and to the floor greatly improved things.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

While these one's don't lock, I've been eyeballing them. Good price of $12 for 1000lb rated swivel plate caster, 5" diameter x 2" wide:
                              https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...catname=wheels

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X