M12x1.75 Left Hand Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M12x1.75 Left Hand Bolt

I'm trying to help a friend find a bolt for his machinery. He had it checked by a friend of his who is a good machinist and determined that it is an M12x1.75 left handed thread. He can't seem to find it any where and he has checked out all of the usual places such as Fastenal. It needs to have a hex head and be about 40 millimeters long. Any one of you guys know where we might find such a bolt. He even went back to the machinery dealer and they told him to get it at fastenal but they didn't have it. The left hand thread seems to break the deal every time. I checked Mcmaster Carr but couldn't find it either.

And before anyone mentions it he really doesn't want to have to make one for safety reasons. Thanks for any information.
    Jonathan P.

Originally posted by japcas
    And before anyone mentions it he really doesn't want to have to make one for safety reasons.
    And where do you suppose the store-bought ones (if there were any) would come from, a mine in South Africa where they were formed by nature ten million years ago?

Start with an M12 that is too long and single point the LH threads and part off.

Comment

It's on a finish mower isn't it?Bolt that holds the blade on right?I've removed a bushel basket of them,that's why it seems familiar.

If so dealer is full of it,they can get it,they just don't want to.Maybe find another dealer?

Another option is call McMaster-Carr and ask them if they can supply it.There is a lot more they can supply that isn't in the catalog.

Third option my local farm supply had them,if they still do I can send you however many they have.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

And before anyone mentions it he really doesn't want to have to make one for safety reasons.
        So he'd rather have the OEM "made-in-china almost to spec and never baked after plating" version?

obviously I don't KNOW it would be that, but it seems reasonable, given the way things are now.....

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

making what you need will likely be cheaper then buying one , left hand threaded nuts are hard to find i found only a few of them at my local home hardware store ,, any how thats my idea

Comment

My local ACE Hardware store had left-handed metric nuts but I haven't checked to see if they have any that coarse. If I needed a bolt badly I'd make on but I'd need either a die or a nut to check progress.

Comment

It's on a finish mower isn't it?
              That was my first thought too. Shoot an email to the manufacturer.

Comment

Yes it is on some kind of mower. Good guess Weirdscience. These aren't for me and the guy that needs them doesn't have a home shop and I don't want to make any kind of bolt that holds a blade of any type on to a piece of equipment that is spinning it!

Usually you get the freakin internet police around here telling about all of the liability involved with making something like that. If I wanted to make them I'd use the cnc lathe and whip out any size needed, but like I stated I don't want to be responsible for making that kind of bolt.

Thanks Weirdscience, I'll tell him to go back and hound the dealer or call the manufacturer. Thanks for your help.
                Jonathan P.

Comment

kinda funny how the internet police have disappeared lately... might have something to do with the economy and people needing work and or having to making do.....

Comment

Yea dont make it, let a 9 year old girl in china make it.

Its not that rare, you can find it . A good mower shop can order it from china.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
                      Yea dont make it, let a 9 year old girl in china make it.

Its not that rare, you can find it . A good mower shop can order it from china.

If it's not that rare give me a part number and a place to order it then. It's easy to say it's not rare when you haven't looked for one. It's not my part either so it's up to him to find it, not for me to make it as everybody suggests. I just thought somebody on here might have a useful suggestion like Weirdscience did about where to find it. Not give smartass answers about some chinese kid making one.
                      Jonathan P.

Comment

Japcas - go here:http://mdmetric.com/

Comment

If it's not that rare give me a part number and a place to order it then. It's easy to say it's not rare when you haven't looked for one. It's not my part either so it's up to him to find it, not for me to make it as everybody suggests. I just thought somebody on here might have a useful suggestion like Weirdscience did about where to find it. Not give smartass answers about some chinese kid making one.

I can make it in 5 minutes, sorry you are slow and lazy, cant help you there.

If you cant make a bolt by you should take up knitting.
                          Last edited by tattoomike68; 07-16-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah knitting

I need some nice warm size 13 socks PLEASE winters coming.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
                              I can make it in 5 minutes, sorry you are slow and lazy, cant help you there.

If you cant make a bolt by you should take up knitting.

Mike, if you can't write up a helpful comment then shut the hell up and quit wasting my time. Go talk bull**** in another thread. I have more than enough machining to do then to be making bolts.
                              Jonathan P.

Comment

Working...
                              X