No announcement yet.

Closet Shop Examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have enjoyed the various thoughts guys, and hope you like my two cents worth, (sometimes one can go round in a circle &come back to the beginning !) 55 years ago, i went to an evening class, and took the opportunity to make mum a brass shovel ,tongs, steel poker, nice brass brush holder all on a brass stand for the fireside For the completion of this project, i used an old Colchester Bantam lathe (circa 1920) I always had fond memories of that old machine ,Last week a friend found me its sister, in spite of her age nearly mint condition, Whoopee, i feel 15 year old again, But rearranging my shop and fitting it in has made me ponder on my mortality, Lay not away treasures on earth ! Recently i downsized my shop a bit, at 70 years of age, I know i wont go on for ever
    However, Back to all those years ago, Some three years after using the first old Colchester lathe, parents moved to a tenement flat, and i purchased an old beat up 3&1/2" centre height lathe, and dad and i set up a cupboard workshop, We were in buisiness and independant of any outside influences This shop continued till i left home to get married about eight years further on,
    Regarding the "closet shop", It was a source of fun, and a challenge to get round making things in the confined space, and lack of equipment, every penny in those days was a prisoner, sometimes i think when one is struggling there is more of a challenge, If like some of todays guys i know, who have every aid to inconvenience, Is it still a hobby? Two of them were lecturing to a group of folk and i went along to earwig, and they were saying their home shop was valued about £40,000 pounds, to build a few model locomotives Is that still a hobby? However to each their own
    If some of you are like me, i am a machine tool enthusiast, and i am still using the little travelling head shaper dad purchased for me all those years ago, for the closet workshop
    Maybe towards the end of my days, I will have to go back to a little closet workshop in the corner of a smaller house-- God Willing It will be a situation of "horses for courses" Who knows what fate has in store for one

Comment

Back a few years ago I built a new house in town and moved away from my 13 acres and 24 x 40 pole barn. The new house was built with a 14 x 16 shop between the house proper, and the garage. I went into the move with the idea that I wouldn't be getting any large machinery and resolved to build within the capabilities of the benchtop machines I had. Some of the examples can be seen in the Machinist In Motion videos. (Quartz Movement, Walking Beam, Geneva Mechanism)

The shop could be much smaller still if it didn't also serve as material storage, library, archive, computer room, and junk accumulator. Surprisingly, I still have about as much usable working area as I did when I had the pole barn. I am just carrying less inventory. (my childern are grateful - less for them to dispose of)
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by SHADOW

Clisby Lathe, 2" chuck, 6" rule stuck to bed.

Lathe in original Box, foam packed around acessories when closed.

One of the things to consider when doing machining other than in a home shop is swarf. It tends to go everywhere. You don't want to upset the housekeeper. A helpful containment strategy is to machine inside a clear plastic cleaners bag. This small lathe by virtue of the DOC generates MILES of very fine continuous strands, a situation that can be assisted by doing preliminary cutting at home.
        Another thing that appears is the number of small items needed to accompany it. Drills bits (fractional & number), taps & dies, files, saw, oil, specialty tools (slotting saws, dovetail cutter, boring tools), etc carried in another toolbox.
        I chose a Proxxon rotary tool as it uses the same 12v power supply as the lathe. It has speeds to 18k collets or adjustable chuck, and with a steel collar it goes in a holder at spindle height bolted to the cross slide. It is very light weight.
        The lathe offers a number of shop made tooling opportunities of it’s own as a limited number of accessories are available for it. It doesn't turn axles for quarry trucks but capable of real work in small scale to ward off those machining withdrawls on long trips on the road. I'm still in the process of settling on a baseboard other than a thin plywood base.

Very good idea about using a plastic bag to keep the mess localized.

Anyone with any other ideas as to containing the mess?

Comment

Working...
        X