Another episode of "What's wrong with the world"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another episode of "What's wrong with the world"

I needed four 1/4-20 Allen head screws 3/4" long to bolt together a couple of parts (these would fit in the tight space, regular pan heads wouldn't) on my latest project.

The town I live in is small (3000) with limited places to get the bit's and pieces I need and after going to the hardware, the CT store and the auto parts store I still couldn't find any.

The salesman at the last place suggested going to the local farm equipment dealer a little way's out of town and it turned out that they had a selection of Allen head screws.

Now comes the crazy bit. Those screws are worth about two bits each, so what did they want for the four screws, $18.00. I declined saying I wasn't after the gold plated type.

I was after a couple of screws not trying to get screwed. It's no wonder that that business can't make it with costs like that.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Wow $4.50 a piece what the hell... I'd a asked them if they read the right line as that seems like a price for 1 1/4-8. If no one closer offers... PM me your address and I'll pop some 1/4-20 cap screws into a envelope and drop it in the post for you I know I have a box 1" so you'd have to knock a tad off of them.
    Last edited by Tinkerer; 07-17-2009, 11:57 AM.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

That is pretty extreme. You should ask them how much for an entire box of 100. I pay about $12. That might embarass them a bit.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I was annoyed yesterday when I needed 4, M6-1.25 socket head cap screws. I go to Lowes, and of course an American Big Box stores carries virtually no Metric hardware.

So I find the drawer of "specialty" screws, and they have Hillman M6-1.25, each individually wrapped in a plastic bag, for $.90 each. To make matters worse, the damn screw was Made in China.

That must have been a 1,000% mark-up.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Call Acklands/Grainger. They do mail order. I would send you a catalog but it weighs about 15 pounds.

# 1-888-602-0000

Comment

Mail order not an option for you? Even with next day shipping it would be a better deal. McMaster will normally get things to me next day by regular ground.

I would have told them to forget it and good luck.
            "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

He's in Canada, eh?

McMaster isn't an option.

Comment

http://grizzly.com/products/Allen-He...crew-Kit/G4972

$15, 145 pieces.
                Chris
                Merkel, Tx
                http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

When I need a few Allen screws I go to my blue compartmented box with the hinged lid. Inside is a selection of commonly used SHCS. I got a box of US and a box of Metric, plus machine screws, set screws etc. You can get a LOT of misc fasteners and hardware in a couple of cubic feet. Saves tons of money and inconvenience having the basics on hand. Of course, I've been collecting for 45 years. But when I die I'm gonna win the stuff race.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                    When I need a few Allen screws I go to my blue compartmented box with the hinged lid. Inside is a selection of commonly used SHCS. I got a box of US and a box of Metric, plus machine screws, set screws etc. You can get a LOT of misc fasteners and hardware in a couple of cubic feet.
                    That's exactly what I did Forrest -- I was so annoyed at the prospect of spending $4 for 4 small cap screws that I ordered a Metric cap screw assortment from MSC: 265 pieces for $125.

So now I have to wait 4 days to get them, but next time it'll save me a lot of time and money...
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Fasteners:

Comment

The simple solution for me was to get some pan head machine screws and turn them down until the head diam. fit the space. Problem solved. Next time I hit the "big city" I'll hit Fastenal and stock up again,
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I could swear that Griz also stocked fasteners by the box but I can't find a link just now.

Also - if you have a Tractor Supply near by, they sell their fasteners by the pound. Even Grade 8 stuff. They don't stock a tremendous amount, but most of the normal english sizes are there and by the lb is about a billion times cheaper than Lowes or HD.
                          Chris
                          Merkel, Tx
                          http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Aah, Tractor Supply! When returning home from a 10 day trip recently I was surprised and absolutely delighted to see some excavation work going on in a lot beside the highway less than 10 miles from my house, the large sign posted in front of this construction work proclaimed "Coming Soon TRACTOR SUPPLY"

This is big for me since I live so far out in the country buying anything in the way of fasteners or most any hardware means a virtual cross-country trip.

Comment

I noticed that. McMaster will not ship anywhere other than the US or is it the import/export/VAT thing that makes it not as good of a deal?

Originally posted by Evan
                              He's in Canada, eh?

McMaster isn't an option.
                              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Working...
                              X