Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Journey to the Edge of the Universe

Canadian Guys

There is is alway interest in space. This Sunday on Discovery Channel is, IMHO, one of the Top Ten documentaries of all time

Journey to the Edge of the Universe you can also watch it online.

Be suspicious. You may not believe the number of times there have been blatant errors in both the History Channel and the Discovery Channel programs, to say nothing of inaccuracies or "lie by omission" type mistakes. They are great programs for entertainment, but don't take anything too seriously.

It is a problem that the scientific community has been working very hard to fix - television producers want drama and a show that sells, not science. Often the information is manipulated and incorrect.

Nevertheless, it is far better programming than some of the trash on the tube these days...

Comment

The title alone is highly misleading. The edge of the universe is beyond our event horizon by a very large amount. We can never reach it even traveling at the velocity of light since it initially expanded at a velocity far higher before all the "rules" froze in place. You can't go there and you can't see it but if our current understanding of the initial expansion phase is at all close to correct there is "stuff" out there that is originally of this Universe.

Don't ask what is beyond that as it represents "time" before the big bang. I forgot who said it but when asked that question a famous scientist replied "God made hell for people that ask that question".
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The big bang theory is every bit as Kooky as the beared man in the sky made everything.

If you ask me some people just smoke WAY TOO MUCH DOPE.

Comment

The reason the Big Bang hypothesis was developed was because there is a lot of observable evidence that can't be explained any other way. The evidence came first and then the cosmologists tried to find a way to explain it. Big Bang with a number of modifications from the original concept is the best explanation there is to date. Nothing else even comes close.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
            Be suspicious. You may not believe the number of times there have been blatant errors in both the History Channel and the Discovery Channel programs, to say nothing of inaccuracies or "lie by omission" type mistakes. They are great programs for entertainment, but don't take anything too seriously.

It is a problem that the scientific community has been working very hard to fix - television producers want drama and a show that sells, not science. Often the information is manipulated and incorrect.

Nevertheless, it is far better programming than some of the trash on the tube these days...
            ditto that. Hard to believe a program by the name of "history", which to me imparts data, fact and evidence can be so strewn with inuendo, opinion and half-truths can be presented as fact. Talk about agenda driven media. I now question everything I've seen or heard on National Geographic Channel
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68

If you ask me some people just smoke WAY TOO MUCH DOPE.
              How much is too much? Er a I'm asking for a friend, ya thats it... a friend.

Steve

Comment

Don't ask what is beyond that as it represents "time" before the big bang.
                Assuming "time" has a meaning before the BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  The edge of the universe is beyond our event horizon by a very large amount. We can never reach it even traveling at the velocity of light since it initially expanded at a velocity far higher before all the "rules" froze in place. ".
                  Evan, I'm asking this....not to start a debate as I am not up on this stuff.
                  Doesn't the String Theory allow for the edge to be reached?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                    How much is too much? Er a I'm asking for a friend, ya thats it... a friend.

Steve
                    5 grams of killer a day is too much. you best be sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      The reason the Big Bang hypothesis was developed was because there is a lot of observable evidence that can't be explained any other way. The evidence came first and then the cosmologists tried to find a way to explain it. Big Bang with a number of modifications from the original concept is the best explanation there is to date. Nothing else even comes close.
                      So a microdot went BOOM and made everything, thats just as crazy as god making everything.

Both types ate too many microdots of LSD 25 and never came down. I take back what I said about pot smokers.

Comment

So a microdot went BOOM and made everything, thats just as crazy as god making everything.
                        But, we are here. So is the Universe. To me it's all highly unlikely too. So is winning the lottery. Perhaps the only thing more unlikely is to assume this all has been and will be for infinite time, a condition required of the Steady State Hypothesis. Funny thing, Big Bang doesn't rule out God either, one can always posit that it was His work. It's as good an explanation as anything else, which is to say we don't have an answer and cannot discover why this all exists. One thing to realize is that no matter how improbable an event may be if it isn't ruled out then it may happen. When it happens the probability collapses to 100%.

Steve,

String Theory is very undeveloped. It makes no testable predictions about the real world. Until it does it isn't even a hypothesis, never mind a theory.

Tony,

Time has no meaning at the quantum level now, never mind then. Events are reversible and only a very special type of interaction has a preferred direction which displays an irreversiblity giving rise to what is called the "arrow of time"

As Einstein said "Time exists to prevent everything from happening at once".

Comment

Would you guys crank down the discussion of whether any TV program is as accurate as a Post Doc seminar.

It's entertainment that also educates. It's 'Astronomy for Dummies' and I'm a dummy. When I was in High School no one had walked on the moon and an atom just had three parts.

This program integrates all those pretty Hubble pictures, and others, into a program and explains to lay people what the heck they are.

Not starting an argument. I read somewhere in a 'Dummy' magazine 'time does not exist' in physics. Some guy works at 10^-43 (??) seconds. At that level there is no time, only states. If he makes a series of observations of the state, there is a change in states, which the people call time. What is happening that causes electron's state that cause it to orbit the nucleus? Orbiting is not caused by the four forces in nature. There see - that's something I picked up on these science for Dummies shows - the four forces of nature.

What are they?
                          Which one is lower that expected?
                          Why?
                          What will you do with all the science groupie chicks, if you can answer the third question?

Comment

Those two suppositions aren't mutually exclusive.

Comment

Although there's lots of misinformation in these science shows, I think it still serves a valuable purpose. It gives general public (at least those public that watch these type of shows) a better idea that the universe that we live in is "knowable" to a great extent. The alternative is ignorance, superstition, and silly religious tales.

Comment

Working...
                              X