My Tool Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Tool Gloat

Edlund 4 Spindle drill station, variable speed from 750rpm to 6000, paid way too much though $75
    Also picked up a 55 gal tub of Propylmatte 31, not quite sure what it is but the specifications says it is used for increasing abrasion resistance in and/or reducing the gloss in all types of paint and powder coating, it was not much either and appeared to look as if it could be useful.
    An Emerson ES2600RG DC Drive, this was just a pot luck purchase as it looked new and not a lot of money, paid $15.
    Any input on this drive is welcomed as I did not find much in my search about it's application.

Ken

Anyone who buys a 55 gallon drum of an unknown chemical because they think it may be useful one day is an "Ace" in my book. Nice job.

The drill station looks pretty slick, too. I thought about buying a four spindle gang drill this summer but I would've had to shell out more than 75 bucks

Nice gloat!

Comment

The Emerson 2600RG is a single phase regen DC drive. I have a manual (and prints) on it at work, but no PDF. Remind me in a week if you still need it and I'll see what I can do. I'm on vacation next week and I won't be in the office until mid week the week after.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
        Anyone who buys a 55 gallon drum of an unknown chemical because they think it may be useful one day is an "Ace" in my book. Nice job.

Nice gloat!

Not bad stuff really, it's just a micronized polypropylene and from what I read there is no known effect from chronic exposure to this product, but a mask seems like it would be in order.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nash
          The Emerson 2600RG is a single phase regen DC drive. I have a manual (and prints) on it at work, but no PDF. Remind me in a week if you still need it and I'll see what I can do. I'm on vacation next week and I won't be in the office until mid week the week after.
          Absolutely Mike, would love to get a copy of the manual, thank you.
          I'll remind you after your return.
          Hope you have a good time, albeit short

Ken

Comment

Cut the drill at the base into (4) separate units, keep the best sounding one and sell the other three. Or not. Just a thought.

55 gal drum of gunk sounds like a disposal problem to me.

Good score on the drive. If you don't end up using it you may be able to get a decent buck for it.

Comment

Rig it up with foot switches for the stations and you'll be ready to rock out some quick part times. Gang drills sell for way more than $75 around here or I'd probably already have one.

I'd personally peen someone who said cut up a good tool. Just warning ya if you're ever in my shop.

Comment

Just imagine how nice it'll be to always have a single flute counter sink ready to use after drilling whatever other holes you need - nice!

- Bart
                Bart Smaalders
                http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeseking
                  55 gal drum of gunk sounds like a disposal problem to me.
                  Cheeseking,
                  It's not a liquid, it's more like fine powder and not a health hazard at all, however I have been warned that it should not be snorted

Jim, not going to separate them, that's for sure so no peening will be necessary
                  They have ready access to on/off switches or are you thinking something else with the foot switches?

Bart,
                  That is exactly my thinking as well, as soon as I get it here next week, it's a heavy booger at a 3000 pound (guesstimate) with the stand I will get it set up and see if it's got problems then I can decide on where and how best to use it.

Ken
                  Last edited by Ken_Shea; 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I sorta being a little fiesty and not completely serious about cutting it up. But i'll consider myself peened anyhow.
                    Wait. that sounds bad.

Comment

A gang drill is probably the next best thing to a turret drill. I'd like a turret drill, but I'm probably going the VMC route (robodrill or TM1) instead (when funds permit). That high speed version is a very nice specimen (assuming the machine was properly maintained).

Too many useful tools got sent to china last year (as scrap), so I don't take kindly to people saying cut `em up. We won WW2 with this technology. Think about it.

Comment

Finally got it to the shop,

One of my biggest concerns was that since it is wired 440V it may not be 220V compatible, fortunately it can be wired 220 volt, That was very good news!

Found 2 metric reamers underneath the base, in excellent condition, along with numerous drills, many Allen head wrenches, dozens of smaller SHCS and 4 small taps

The RPM range is 1000 to 7000, no power feed on any of the heads, no big deal on that at all, just would have been a nice extra.

Now to get some power too it, my biggest concern now is that the bearings may be bad, hopefully not.

Ken

Comment

That would be from left to right-

Spotting drill,pilot drill,tap drill,tapping head

Rule #6 on Darin's rules for moving machines-Always bring a broom,scoop shovel and 55 gallon drum for the gravy
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            Rule #6 on Darin's rules for moving machines-Always bring a broom,scoop shovel and 55 gallon drum for the gravy
                            Ha-ha, not far wrong, I have found some neat stuff buried in chips or under bases.

Comment

The only idea better than putting a footswitch on a drill press is putting one each of the four in a gang. You'll really appreciate the added convenience.

Just be careful that having an extra free hand doesn't tempt you to hold something that really needs to be clamped or in a vise.

Roger
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X