Autocad for the Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dp
    Mac OS won't run unmodified unless that hardware chip is present.
    Huh. Are you sure about that? Not arguing, but Mac's run EFI (Intel's "Tiano" modular BIOS from Itanium/Merced), so it would be a neat trick if they could boot a Microsoft OS without Apple's Bootcamp loader.

Another problem area for MS Office on the Mac is the lack of VB support in Excel. I rarely have a need for Office - generally when someone sends me an Office (proprietary format ) file.
    Doh! Didn't know that -- I actually use a lot of embedded VB in Excel spreadsheets for performance analysis'
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
      Safari is a lot faster than Firefox, Opera and IE 8. No ad blocker though

It's hilarious when people argue Mac versus PC hardware. It's the exact same hardware from Intel -- same CPU, same chipset. The Mac has an additional TPM encryption chip to prevent you from booting anything else on it, but that's the only difference.

No one has cracked the TPM, but they've kludged MacOS to run on vanilla PC hardware by hand-editing the MacOS .DLL's to physically remove the calls to the TPM. I wouldn't wish that on anyone

By the way Microsoft Office for Mac is excellent, but no Outlook or Access.
      Outlook is the only reason I need a virtual machine on my airbook
      What I meant is the people who day they can build a equivalent pc for a fraction of the price if a apple machine. The boards and design of a apple machine are much better than a fry's special ECS motherboard.

There is a little device now that plugs into one of your internal USB connectors and emulates the efi so you can install mac os unmodified. Kind of expensive though, something like $200.

I did install W7 this weekend. Blows vista out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        Huh. Are you sure about that? Not arguing, but Mac's run EFI (Intel's "Tiano" modular BIOS from Itanium/Merced), so it would be a neat trick if they could boot a Microsoft OS without Apple's Bootcamp loader.

Doh! Didn't know that -- I actually use a lot of embedded VB in Excel spreadsheets for performance analysis'
        The boot camp loader is needed because the Mac does not have a PC-like BIOS. You don't need Mac OS, you just need bootcamp. You can have a Mac that runs only Linux, only Windows, or only Linux and Windows. You get both Mac OS and bootcamp when you buy the Mac.

Comment

Working...
        X