X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dp
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    Huh. Are you sure about that? Not arguing, but Mac's run EFI (Intel's "Tiano" modular BIOS from Itanium/Merced), so it would be a neat trick if they could boot a Microsoft OS without Apple's Bootcamp loader.

Doh! Didn't know that -- I actually use a lot of embedded VB in Excel spreadsheets for performance analysis'
    The boot camp loader is needed because the Mac does not have a PC-like BIOS. You don't need Mac OS, you just need bootcamp. You can have a Mac that runs only Linux, only Windows, or only Linux and Windows. You get both Mac OS and bootcamp when you buy the Mac.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Safari is a lot faster than Firefox, Opera and IE 8. No ad blocker though

It's hilarious when people argue Mac versus PC hardware. It's the exact same hardware from Intel -- same CPU, same chipset. The Mac has an additional TPM encryption chip to prevent you from booting anything else on it, but that's the only difference.

No one has cracked the TPM, but they've kludged MacOS to run on vanilla PC hardware by hand-editing the MacOS .DLL's to physically remove the calls to the TPM. I wouldn't wish that on anyone

By the way Microsoft Office for Mac is excellent, but no Outlook or Access.
    Outlook is the only reason I need a virtual machine on my airbook
    What I meant is the people who day they can build a equivalent pc for a fraction of the price if a apple machine. The boards and design of a apple machine are much better than a fry's special ECS motherboard.

There is a little device now that plugs into one of your internal USB connectors and emulates the efi so you can install mac os unmodified. Kind of expensive though, something like $200.

I did install W7 this weekend. Blows vista out of the water.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by dp
    Mac OS won't run unmodified unless that hardware chip is present.
    Huh. Are you sure about that? Not arguing, but Mac's run EFI (Intel's "Tiano" modular BIOS from Itanium/Merced), so it would be a neat trick if they could boot a Microsoft OS without Apple's Bootcamp loader.

Another problem area for MS Office on the Mac is the lack of VB support in Excel. I rarely have a need for Office - generally when someone sends me an Office (proprietary format ) file.
    Doh! Didn't know that -- I actually use a lot of embedded VB in Excel spreadsheets for performance analysis'

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    You can dual-boot (run boot-camp). But any virtual machine must have a hypervisor, with the associated 20% overhead, flakey graphics acceleration, etc.
    Earlier you posted
    the Mac has an additional TPM encryption chip to prevent you from booting anything else on it, but that's the only difference.
    and I didn't understand what you meant. The Mac hardware does not prevent installing other OS's. Mac OS won't run unmodified unless that hardware chip is present.

Another problem area for MS Office on the Mac is the lack of VB support in Excel. I rarely have a need for Office - generally when someone sends me an Office (proprietary format ) file.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pherdie
    Sorry, I see it now. Missed it in the heat of emotional posting
    Sorry Fred, I didn't mean it like "Duh." -- I meant it like "I'm really looking forward to native support for Exchange Server!"

Jaguar/Leopard is a gorgeous GUI, but I really have a hard time flipping back and forth between Linux, Windows and Leopard. The context-sensitive menus warp my brain

Leave a comment:

• Pherdie
    replied
    Lazlo wrote:
    Right, that's what Dennis was mentioning -- I'm really looking forward to Exchange Server support (what most corporate mail servers use).
    Sorry, I see it now. Missed it in the heat of emotional posting

Fred

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Right, that's what Dennis was mentioning -- I'm really looking forward to Exchange Server support (what most corporate mail servers use).

Leave a comment:

• Pherdie
    replied
    Lazlo wrote:
    By the way Microsoft Office for Mac is excellent, but no Outlook...
    Have you seen this?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/exchange.html

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by dp
    You can run Windows on Mac hardware without a hypervisor.
    You can dual-boot (run boot-camp). But any virtual machine must have a hypervisor, with the associated 20% overhead, flakey graphics acceleration, etc.

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    It's hilarious when people argue Mac versus PC hardware. It's the exact same hardware from Intel -- same CPU, same chipset. The Mac has an additional TPM encryption chip to prevent you from booting anything else on it, but that's the only difference.
    You can run Windows on Mac hardware without a hypervisor.

I understand that Snow Leopard will have richer compatibility with MS Outlook. Microsoft does not make it easy to be interoperative. Sometimes I get the idea they'd like to have the whole pie

Leave a comment:

• mototed
    replied
    I have been using this at work for years now.http://www.engsw.com/Just upgraded to powercadd 8 two months ago after getting a new Macbook. It will import and export DXF, DWG, etc etc. They used to have a demo for free.
    It's not cheap but they have great customer service.
    Ted

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by macona
    Windows does not run under emulation through the virtualization. There is nothing to emulate. It is running code native to the processor.
    It's not emulating code, but each virtual machine requires the hypervisor to unload a bunch of architectural and microarchitectural state when you switch virtual machines (if you click from a PC window to a native window, for example). And the Hypervisor has to intercept and check each virtualization trap: each system call, IO, screen draw, disk access, keyboard access...

So on average, running anything in a virtual machine incurs about a 20% performance hit, depending on how many virtualization traps the program is generating. VT hardware acceleration (Vanderpool Technology), can reduce that down to the 5 -15% range.

Safari 4 has some of the fastest load times for web pages.
    Safari is a lot faster than Firefox, Opera and IE 8. No ad blocker though

Quality of hardware is just as good as a mac if you choose to pay for it.

No one has cracked the TPM, but they've kludged MacOS to run on vanilla PC hardware by hand-editing the MacOS .DLL's to physically remove the calls to the TPM. I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    I have both Parallels and Fusion (on two different, his and hers, Mac/Intel machines). I highly prefer Fusion. Much more seamless, free updates and seemingly more preferred by most.
    Agreed. I've used both extensively, and Parallels used to be faster, but flakier. Now they're both about the same speed, but I find VMWare to be much more stable.

That being said, I ran into major vector video problems attempting to run an R/C flight simulator in a Fusion supported Windows Vista image. If I use Bootcamp and boot directly into Vista, the simulator software runs great, but I lose the ability to jump at will between OS's. The video issue is not unique to the software I was attempting to use. VMWare says it Apple's fault (insert finger pointing here).

Bottom line, if your going to run specialized graphic intensive Windows software on a Mac, check to see how other Mac users have fared first
    Until recently, VMWare and Parallels didn't support DirectX or 3D acceleration at all. What Fusion does is to pull-in a OpenGL->DirectX translation layer into MacOS. So there's going to be a performance hit, and functional compatibility will not be 100%.

Ironically, neither VMWare or Parallels supports OpenGL acceleration, so Solidworks is slow in a virtual machine, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    qcad is a nice 2D cad package for $39.00

Leave a comment:

• dwentz
    replied
    Welcome to the bright side, not the dark side.

VMware Fusion I like better than Parallels. I have both, if you must run windows on your mac.

MS Office for the mac is nice, but keep in mind that MS Access is missing from the mac verison. If you only need word and excel they sell a cheaper version for the home.

As far as cad goes I have a copy of vectorworks installed at work, but have only used it a few times. It is simple to use, and I was comfortable with it with in 1 afternoon of playing around. It is lots of $$ and I will never use its full potential, but for simple 2d stuff I am happy with it.

I need to find a nice 2d cad program for use at home also, as I do not want to buy a personal copy of vectorworks.

Dale

Leave a comment:

Working...
X