New tube bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube bender

Had a demo at school with this pup last week. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

-SD:

Ok so who makes it and what does it cost.

Dave

Comment

I Dave,

I'll get the facts tomorrow. I don't recall the manufacture. They are trying to promote it in the semi-conductor (high-purity SS) industry, pharmaceutical, powerhouse tubing and heat tracing on refinery tube. It does other things beside bend tube. Precisely and properly tightens Swagelok fittings consistantly, calculates the spring back for different wall thickness tube, cuts the tube. I don't see us using it but you never know. They are trying to take the skilled labor factor out of it, just like Propress eliminates the skill factor out of soldering and brazing, or PEX eliminate layout or installation skills (red goes to red etc.). The cost was something like $12,000 (that's not a typo). <grin>

-SD:
      Last edited by Smokedaddy; 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Lemme see.. standing on a Aframe ladder, (one leg kicked through and hooked so I can turn both hands loose) using a Rigid bender to bend .75"x.060 wall... yeah.. I like the ideal of punching in a degree and climbing back down into normal temps.
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokedaddy
          They are trying to promote it in the semi-conductor (high-purity SS) industry
          I bought my Excello and my Harig surface grinder from two of the clean-room high-purity stainless steel pipefitting companies in Austin. Both shops have facilities in Chandler, Arizona (Intel's Fabs) -- I bet Mochinist knows who I'm talking about.

Both companies have similar equipment, and they both have large CNC bending machines that look like several hundred thousand dollars.
          The benders have an integral bar feeder, and it ejects xx" of pipe, rotates it, bends it, ejects yy" more pipe, rotates it, bends it...

We (MickeyD and I) didn't get to see it operate, but it looks pretty amazing.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Smokedaddy
            ... They are trying to take the skilled labor factor out of it, just like Propress eliminates the skill factor out of soldering and brazing, or PEX eliminate layout or installation skills (red goes to red etc.)....
            This is a sore point for me. We have more and more ignorant people running around doing things that required knowledge and skill. Sigh.

Comment

Get over it, soon.. they have growed brain cells on a micro-chip in about 96.. a perfect interface when implanted in the human brain.. Imagine wearing a cdrom device like a walk-man cd player.. aww.. want to be a "professional pipe-fitter tubing-instrument techie today?" "insert proper disk".

hmm.. forward, rotate, bend, all calculated by the tiny serial plc (bought by madman off my bender) TIT iz now his gear-tooth rotator for his shaper or?? Heck I don't know, probably a place to sit a Canuck beer?

You saw it here first on the "hillbilly network" a few years back, nobody was paying much attention... ha.. somebody buy me lunch, I'm broke.

Measuring trolley is in ceiling, measures to ironworker, saw, welding rotator is there also, as is.. as is.. easily reconfigured to serve me, casting bot? burnout? or just a paintline track with a motor on it?

Just wait till you see the next one... aww.. nobody has patented it yet? it can do a free flow french curve in both directions, or a spiral rolled boiler tube or.. Buy me lunch and we'll talk about it..
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Free Lunch

David you come on up here and we will make you a Steak.

Comment

Hi Mike, Audrey.. NAHH... I want the rear end ham off a MOOSE.. ya double me up behind it on a 4 wheeler and I can lay it down with the big pistole.

Heck stand there and turn it on a spit over a open fire.. It'd take me a week to get up there on the bike, then it'd take me a week to get over riding up there, then...

Ya know I love ya two.. Just ain't leaving Gawgia right now.

Ya got that rotator making money yet?

(those who don't know it, Mike is a big galoot like me, his wife, she impressed us so much with her cooking, Carrol told the Co-workers and she has a free place to stay at "each coworkers house" as long as she wants..) They did ask if Madman had to come along tho.. ha... She got down in the floor and wrestled my 100lb pittbulldog.. ya.. we enjoyed that HSM'er visit. I think he gained ten pounds while they were here. Barry, Their buddy, he'd jump up onto the couch where he was sleeping and lick his face... I didn't have the heart to tell him he licked the cats butt, and ate out of the catbox too... he'd laugh, so I didn't spoil it..
                  Last edited by Dawai; 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM.
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Here's the link ...

http://www.aeroswage.com/

-SD:

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      I bought my Excello and my Harig surface grinder from two of the clean-room high-purity stainless steel pipefitting companies in Austin. Both shops have facilities in Chandler, Arizona (Intel's Fabs) -- I bet Mochinist knows who I'm talking about.
                      Since I am a retired Pipefiter and have worked semiconuctor and pharmaceuticals for the last 30 years plus ... I'm curious, who would that be, Kinetiics, University Mechanical, Harder, Henderson, DSI and Metro Mechanical (AKA Johnson Controls)?

-SD:

Comment

Sent you a PM SD -- don't want to post their names here.

By the way, these guys make small, often bizarre, stainless steel fittings for semiconductor process control and management, out of weird stainless alloys that I've never heard before (350 Stainless, for example). They're basically fixtures that carry gas or liquids between various stages of the fab equipment, and I gather they set the machines up, measure the distance between the machines, and then whip-up a quick blueprint for a pipefitting to connect the two.

These little sub-contractors fab the small pipefittings, clean it in solvent and vacuum pack it in a clean room, and Federal Express the part out to the fab, where it's opened and installed inside the clean room.

Both shops we went to had Eaton-Leonard CNC benders. This was one of them. The other had an orbital head:

Here's a cool video of it running:

http://www.eatonleonard.com/pages2007/VB80movie.html
                        Last edited by lazlo; 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks Robert,

That's what I used to do for a living ...

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/77966323

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/77966283

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/97351959

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/14820903/large

Regards,
                          -SD:

Comment

Wow, beautiful! The pictures are dated August 2007 -- whose fab was that?

Comment

That's not a fab, it's one of the tools in our apprenticeship training facilities. I am a teacher there, via a community college. We teach them how to design, hook up, layout (manually and CAD) the piping to the tools. Isometric drawing, orbital welding and bend the tubing (yada yada).

BTW, just a point of information, since I've been doing this since 1967, I have never had to climb up on a ladder and bend tubing. Tubing is laid out, a isometric skeetch is drawn, then bent.

Running late for school,
                              SD:

Comment

Working...
                              X