No announcement yet.

Wow this looks good power drawbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL BILL I was about to say on your post download photo four what a nice painting on the shop wall til I noticed it was a window .I see the point John makes by the time you are sure your on thread and not crossed threads you might as well do it by hand but I still think they are cool thanks guys so far .AlistairAlistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

After all the time I spent making mine, I think this one is a really slick implementation and worth it if your time is worth anything, and it's well made and uses linear bearings.

"One I don't really fancy beating up on a drawbar with an air ratchet, after using pullers with air ratchets it certainly wears the screws far more so it will do the same to the drawbar and collets."

Not a problem; even at max torque I found that I was making the drawbar a good amount tighter than the air ratchet; no cutter slippage problems w/the latter.

Comment

Noah is there a possibility of getting started on the wrong thread with such an aggressive system ? Now that's the only thing which would worry me otherwise I really like this it would be good for mee to as I can't d grip the way I used too.Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
          I had often thought about building one but a couple of things put me off.

One I don't really fancy beating up on a drawbar with an air ratchet, after using pullers with air ratchets it certainly wears the screws far more so it will do the same to the drawbar and collets.

I much prefer having to feel the tightness depending on what size cutter is fitted.

A simple quick job isn't easy if you don't have a tank of air up, in my case I have a rotary compressor that fills two 40 gallon tanks. I don't have the compressor on all the while and there may be a couple of days in the week where the tanks are empty.

The main reason though is my machine is a Varispeed and in low speeds the spindle isn't easy to turn by hand given there is only a small smooth diameter at the bottom.
          I often have to turn the spindle to line the tool up with existing keyways and also sweep a dial gauge round for centering bearing bores.
          I do this with a small 3/4" ring spanner on the drawbar.

Fitting one of these will get in the way for doing this.
          There is a neutral position on the hi/lo lever. If both hands are needed, insert a small block of material in the crack to hold the lever in neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by noah katz
            After all the time I spent making mine, I think this one is a really slick implementation and worth it if your time is worth anything, and it's well made and uses linear bearings.
            Agreed -- that's a very clever design. Especially using the High-Low ring selector for a mounting bracket, so it installs in seconds, with no holes to drill.

I see no reason why you couldn't add a Bimba cylinder to it like Joe Vicar's plans that Bob built:

I don't really fancy beating up on a drawbar with an air ratchet, after using pullers with air ratchets it certainly wears the screws far more so it will do the same to the drawbar and collets.
            A drawbar costs $20 John
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Wow Bob Warfield is a clever guy well done again Bob. Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                Wow Bob Warfield is a clever guy well done again Bob. Alistair
                That's not Bob Warfield's drawbar Alistair -- that's Joe Vicar, the guy who sells the plans for $15:

http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

"Noah is there a possibility of getting started on the wrong thread "

I don't see how that would be possible; the first threads of the drawbar and collet are what touch first.

lazlo, what would be the benefit of the Bimba cylinder?

Comment

I know but I went once again to Bob's site he's a great engineer and has a great shop too.Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X