Wow this looks good power drawbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow this looks good power drawbar

This looks good for the money don't you think? I don't think you could make one cheaper time you costed in your work hours I don't have a bridgy I wonder if they could be adapted whatyou think ?Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Milling-Machin...lenotsupported
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

To be honest Alistair it looks expensive to me because it's just a butterfly wrench on two spring loaded columns and you manually pull it into position then hit the switch.

Most of the other kits have pneumatic cylinders to engage the drawbar.

You can buy a butterfly wrench off Ebay in the Uk for £14 or £15 plus postage.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

whats a butterfly wrench when it's at home sorry John you know me??Alistair ok I just looked one up I have one similar how about the lever controls ,and stand that makes a slight difference doesn't it?
      Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 07-21-2009, 06:22 PM.
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Ignore the bottom knob and the slotted plate, this is for a step speed bridgport mounting.

The top knob is connected to a vertical shaft that also connected to the bit of angle iron with In and OUT stuck on it.

To use you pull the whole assemble down with the top knob so the socket is sat on the drawbar then twist the knob so the angle iron presses on of the paddles on the front of the wrench and that will operate it.

It's because of the paddle operation that people use these wrenches hence the name butterfly wrench.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Basically the same thing as my Kurt manual drawbar. Only difference is - on the Kurt when you push the knob sideways (IN- OUT) it automatically cams the butterfly down to the drawbar.

Comment

BTW, you can get 2/3 of the value with butterfly impact wrench handheld too. They're cheap. Pick one up!

Cheers,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
              BTW, you can get 2/3 of the value with butterfly impact wrench handheld too. They're cheap. Pick one up!

Cheers,

BW
              You also built one of those, no? I'm pretty sure I saw one on your site, anyway. Excellent job on that site, btw.

Comment

I had often thought about building one but a couple of things put me off.

One I don't really fancy beating up on a drawbar with an air ratchet, after using pullers with air ratchets it certainly wears the screws far more so it will do the same to the drawbar and collets.

I much prefer having to feel the tightness depending on what size cutter is fitted.

A simple quick job isn't easy if you don't have a tank of air up, in my case I have a rotary compressor that fills two 40 gallon tanks. I don't have the compressor on all the while and there may be a couple of days in the week where the tanks are empty.

The main reason though is my machine is a Varispeed and in low speeds the spindle isn't easy to turn by hand given there is only a small smooth diameter at the bottom.
                I often have to turn the spindle to line the tool up with existing keyways and also sweep a dial gauge round for centering bearing bores.
                I do this with a small 3/4" ring spanner on the drawbar.

Fitting one of these will get in the way for doing this.
                Last edited by John Stevenson; 07-22-2009, 04:34 AM.

Comment

The one reason I've wondered about a power drawbar is because my machine is quite tall, I have to stand on something to get a spanner on the drawbar which can be a pain if I have a series of tool changes to make. This type wouldn't help that at all, you still have to reach up there.

Tim

Comment

Tim,
                    One of the web sites shows a similar home made changer that has a dog legged lever on it so the pullie down bit is easy to reach.
                    It may have been one of the guys off this site ?

This is one of the reasons why I hate R8 so much, at least with INT30 and 40 there is enough room up the spout to get a decent quick changer mechanism.

Comment

Bob Warfield has a bit more involved one on his site. It could be simplified to just use the angle iron actuator, or built as described for much less than the purchased unit.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillDrawbar.html
                      Jim H.

Comment

This seems to have prompted a good bit of interest! And, it has been a good while since the power drawbars were visited.

Since there are (hopefully!) some new members, it might be that somebody would like to make up one of them.

I built mine 2 1/2 yrs ago using - mostly - Bob Warfields site and a post that "Marc M" posted ...

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookb...llDrawbar.html
                        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=22612

There were also at that time down-loadable plans for 15$ that really wernt all that necessary

http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm

And here is a link to what mine looked like --

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=22841

There was some concern about 'hammering' the drawbar, but after these 2 1/2 years, my bar looks perfectly good! I have to say, it is one of the more favorite of all the mods Ive added over the years.
                        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Tim,
                          One of the web sites shows a similar home made changer that has a dog legged lever on it so the pullie down bit is easy to reach.
                          It may have been one of the guys off this site ?

This is one of the reasons why I hate R8 so much, at least with INT30 and 40 there is enough room up the spout to get a decent quick changer mechanism.

John

Looking at my situation, there isn't the spare headroom for some of the systems as described with an air impact gun.
                          I've got a 3/8" drive air ratchet, good make, bought it new about 30 years ago but never use it as I reckon I can use a hand ratchet almost as fast without the complications of airlines. I wonder whether that would be man enough for the job? It would help to round the headroom issue. pretty sure it has a reversing valve rather than a push-through square.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
                            Looking at my situation, there isn't the spare headroom for some of the systems as described with an air impact gun.
                            I've got a 3/8" drive air ratchet, good make, bought it new about 30 years ago but never use it as I reckon I can use a hand ratchet almost as fast without the complications of airlines. I wonder whether that would be man enough for the job? It would help to round the headroom issue. pretty sure it has a reversing valve rather than a push-through square.

Tim
                            One of my buddies has just this set-up -- a 3/8 drive air ratchet on a permanent mount right near the draw bar, - he gives me a hard time saying the ratchet works as good
                            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                              One of my buddies has just this set-up -- a 3/8 drive air ratchet on a permanent mount right near the draw bar, - he gives me a hard time saying the ratchet works as good
                              One thought has occurred to me, that if you use a plain air ratchet in a fixed setup, and tighten the drawbar fully, there's a risk it might not be able to undo. With an impact tool, you just run it for a fraction longer.
                              Anyone with any experience of this, positive or negative?

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X