OT: What do you do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What do you do next?

Tomorrow morning the news is interrupted for a special report. Astronomers have just discovered that the nearby star Eta Carinae will go hypernova within six months. They are 100 percent confident. The last explosion was just a warmup. There will be a sterilization event caused by the intense radiation. Nothing larger than an amoeba will survive on the surface.
    The only safe places are deep under ground and deep under water. All life on the surface will perish.

What do you do next?

(this is a hypothetical question. I hope...)
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

quit f**kin around on internet and start diggin? By a thicker pair of sunglasses?

these questions remind of the ones kids ask to exasperate parents, Dad, what would you do if aliens landed in the back yard?

Comment

Hey, at least you don't have to worry about dying waiting for bama care to fix you.

What genetic resources does an amoeba have to survive this that more complex organisms lack?

Then you have the issue of irradiated and sterile food sources which wouldn't reproduce if it was even possible to eat them without radiation poisoning to begin with.

Comment

How long till the radiation reaches us?

Comment

It would only toast us if the poles are pointing at us when it happens, which it isnt right now. Its 7500 light years from us so it could have gone off already. When we know it has gone off the radiation will be here.

Otherwise party!

Comment

i'd probably go see the Grand Canyon, maybe Yellowstone, and carry on with my life. i'm not going to be one of the lucky few in the govt bunker, so i may as well enjoy myself before i die.

in fact, if i was told i had 6 months to live for any reason, that's about what i'd do. the only thing different was that if my family was going to still be alive, i'd start selling off all my junk so they didn't have to deal with it and they'd have some extra spending money to boot.

of course if this radiation blast wasn't going to hit for 70 years, i'd pretend i never heard about it and go about my business.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Pour a tall glass of Bowmore, add a couple of ice cubes and sit on the porch until it's over. It should be real quick when it gets here. Take the Chief with me in case I don't go quick enough.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Astronomers have just discovered that the nearby star Eta Carinae will go hypernova within six months. They are 100 percent confident.
                I know too many astronomers to be even slightly alarmed by anything they're 100 percent confident about.

Comment

Tailgate party!

http://www.livescience.com/space/sci...a-carinae.html
                  Last edited by dp; 07-23-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

From the article Dennis linked:

".... even short exposures to blue light can increase insomnia, reduce resistance to infection and is being studied as a possible risk of cancer."

Three more reasons for banning Xenon headlights.

Roger
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

What do you do next?
                      Give up hope of my 401K recovering before my demise.

(Oh, wait a minute, I already gave up hope of that!)

Comment

Well maybe it's not quite right for the situation...

but you never know what that radiation is gonna do...

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                          From the article Dennis linked:

".... even short exposures to blue light can increase insomnia, reduce resistance to infection and is being studied as a possible risk of cancer."

Three more reasons for banning Xenon headlights.

Roger
                          Yeah, although you would think the fact that they blind oncoming drivers would be enough reason to ban them.

Comment

Set up a big reflector dish with a lawn chair at the focal point. When the time comes, be sittin in the chair with a drink in hand and some good tunes playing. If you start taking yoga right now, you might be flexible enough when the time comes to kiss your a-- goodbye.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Set up a big reflector dish with the focal point on the yip-yip dog next door. Maybe you'd have a few days of peace and quiet before your own demise.
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X