Help needed with profile? cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with profile? cutter

I'm not certain of the terminology, but I think what I'm trying to make is a profile cutter.

I milled the slightly angled 3/8" radius curve in a piece of 3/16" aluminum to test before trying steel. The material is UHMW or similar. We want to end up with a roller shaped like a skate wheel, about 4" diameter. I used a live center but removed it for the picture.

The test result is actually better than I expected (I wasn't expecting much) but I'd like to make a really smooth curve and don't know what to change. Also, do I even need to make the cutter from steel? We only need two pieces.

Should the cutter be level with the center?

Thanks in advance,

Gary Fuchs

try including the picture

Comment

Form Tool/profile Cutter

Originally posted by gfphoto
      I'm not certain of the terminology, but I think what I'm trying to make is a profile cutter.

I milled the slightly angled 3/8" radius curve in a piece of 3/16" aluminum to test before trying steel. The material is UHMW or similar. We want to end up with a roller shaped like a skate wheel, about 4" diameter. I used a live center but removed it for the picture.

The test result is actually better than I expected (I wasn't expecting much) but I'd like to make a really smooth curve and don't know what to change. Also, do I even need to make the cutter from steel? We only need two pieces.

Should the cutter be level with the center?

Thanks in advance,

Gary Fuchs
      Form tool should be on c/line.
      On your steel tool, hone the form & cutting edge to improve the finish.
      The other way would be with a Ball turner attachment.

Cheers,
      Les H.
      The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Here's the pic.

Here's the pic. I went looking for it.

Comment

Thanks - I'll try that. How thick should the cutter be? Or just thick enough not to bend?

Gary

(I'm sorry if I screwed up something with the picture - it showed up when I posted.)

Comment

Working...
          X