• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of CAD, CAM and a new camera

CAD-Computer Aided Design: check
    CAM-Computer Aided Manufacturing : check
    A New Camera- Canon TX1: check

I have a new camera, the Canon TX1. It's an amazing camera and Canon is selling them for only $250 cdn to clear out new old stock. It does everything extremely well and was designed to pack the most possible capability and the highest possible quality into the smallest possible space. It takes beautiful pictures with 10x zoom, the lens is the best quality and the image stabilization is incredible. It's simple to operate. It also takes full high definition video at 30 frames per second. It easily fits in a shirt pocket. It will take several hundred pictures on a charge, it has a stainless steel shell and amazingly, the viewfinder screen is very visible even in full direct sunlight. To take video you press the video button at any time, no fiddling with controls. It records CD quality stereo sound and the zoom works even during video mode.

It also has the most incredible macro mode I have seen. It will focus right up to the lens surface, no exaggeration.

There is a price to pay. Because it is so small ergonomics takes last place in the design. It's really small and it is awkward to handle without getting a finger in front of the lens. I also wanted to use it for taking pictures in my shop, especially using the macro capabilities. It is also not something I care to damage so I decided to design a protective hand frame that acts both as a safety enclosure and a multi grip hand hold as well as a macro accessory for positioning the camera.

Yes, you really can see the screen in full sunlight AND added glare from the table.

A little later I will post some pictures in this thread taken with the TX1.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Nice frame,that is something I have noticed,the smaller the tech becomes the more awkward it becomes.

What storage media does it use,removable chip,USB or both?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It's fully remote controllable over USB and it uses SDHC memory cards. To take hi res video they must be the fastest available which is class six cards. It eats ram at the rate of slightly over 1 megabyte per second in high definition mode but the videos are beautiful.

Comment

Here is the review of the camera, listing its pros and cons: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canontx1/page10.asp

The negatives expressed in this review are overshadowed by the low price you paid, less than half of what it originally sold for. Your bracket/holder looks like a good solution to the somewhat awkward ergonomics.

The camera appears to be a little jewel, reminding me of the old Compass camera, or a Rollei 35. I'm sure you will have fun with it.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

It's also supported by the CHDK software which I haven't had time to even look at yet. It will do very low light video and can take stills up to 1 minute exposure complete with dark frame noise subtraction in camera. It can also do shutter speeds up to 1/33,000 second.

This is a hand held shot of the moon last night through heavy smoke at 10 X zoom.

Last edited by Evan; 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Nice moon shot, showing no purple fringing.

The narrow vertical orientation of the camera when taking horizontal frames suggests that a pair of these cameras would be ideal for stereo photography. In particular, hypostereo (or stereo-micrography) using a reduced baseline. I've seen 3D macro views of insects, etc., and they are definitely scary.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I have thought of that. There is software available that will synchonize two of these cameras to within a millisecond or better. What I want though is stereo video binoculars and two of these would be perfect for that, especially if one could dismount the displays and extend the cabling slightly. I am so tempted to buy another for that reason. Hi Def video in 3D for $500. How cool is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Hi Def video in 3D for $500. How cool is that?
                Very cool indeed. For online viewing, you would need two windows each showing one of the stereo channels. I can fuse parallel images with no trouble, but I expect most people would not be able to achieve this.

How would you propose to show 3D movies?
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

In the case of digital binoculars simply look into the binoculars and review what you saw. I am very surprised that no such device has yet made it to the consumer market. There was exactly such a device touted on a web site at least 5 years ago but it seems to have been vaporware.

Here is an example of the macro capability. This is not even close to the maximum possible.

See the innermost tree ring that the crack points to at bottom right on the edge of the coin?

Last edited by Evan; 08-08-2009, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                    Very cool indeed. For online viewing, you would need two windows each showing one of the stereo channels. I can fuse parallel images with no trouble, but I expect most people would not be able to achieve this.

How would you propose to show 3D movies?
                    Youtube has 3D videos on line as we speak. Just came out in July. There are multiple methods available to use like the red/cyan and cross eye. Cross eye works well small but on my 100" screen I cant cross my eyes enough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFuRY7azgA

Comment

You can easily build a viewer for uncrossed viewing of your large screen. All you need are the prisms from a $10 pair of binoculars mounted on an eyeglass frame and adjustable for the angle of sight of each eye. A pair of thin first surface mirrors would also work and be much lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                        Youtube has 3D videos on line as we speak. There are multiple methods available to use like the red/cyan and cross eye.
                        This is an encouraging new feature. I hope they will add parallel viewing too -- cross-eyed images may be easier for beginners to fuse but this is more tiring for longer viewing. It would be nice to have a choice.
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

So, when taking ordinary stills in automatic mode, how much delay between pushing the trigger and the camera actually deciding to take the picture. That has been my chief complaint with most digitals, including my otherwise satisfactory Nikon Coolpix 4300 - originally purchased upon Evan's recommendation.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I can't tell how much delay there is. It seems pretty close to zero. It's similar to a mechanical shutter. According to the specs if it is already focused the delay is 70 milliseconds. If you use the CHDK software the zoom controls can be made to operate as a manual focus control.

Comment

USD to Canadian must really stink, the only 250 buck TX-1 I could find was used at BH photo.

Clutch

Comment

Working...
                              X