No announcement yet.

3D CAD on the cheap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noah, assuming you are asking about Alibre, it is like many other CAD systems, several ways of zooming, Pan and Rotate. There are menus but I normally just use the mouse. With a 3 button roller mouse, Zoom is roller up or down, Pan is central button press then move around, Rotate is left and right buttons together and mouse movements rotate the part.
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      If it's a simple 2 1/2D shape then...
      Export from the 2D as DXF file , import dxf into Lazycam inside Mach and get this to generate code.

If we are talking about 3D then ... you will have to import into a third party program to generate the code which is then sent to Mach.
      To add to John's answer, you need a CAM program to convert the Alibre model to "G-Code", which is the set of commands that Mach3 uses to position the cutting head.

Mach has a simple built-in CAM module: "LazyCAM", but for real 3D CNC, you'll need a third party CAM program like SheetCAM, CAMBam, MasterCAM, etc.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Robert,
        Just a heads up that Sheetcam is only 2 - 1/2D

BTW check your PM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Bill,

Yes, I was asking about Alibre, thanks.

The mouse method sounds pretty slick.

Originally posted by willmac
          Noah, assuming you are asking about Alibre, it is like many other CAD systems, several ways of zooming, Pan and Rotate. There are menus but I normally just use the mouse. With a 3 button roller mouse, Zoom is roller up or down, Pan is central button press then move around, Rotate is left and right buttons together and mouse movements rotate the part.

Comment

I don't know if this has been mentioned but it looks like you can also download Alibre Cam Express for free. See Dowloads -> Alibre Cam -> Licensing Instructions - 3rd page.

Phil

Comment

I downloaded the free CAD trial. I have absolutely no prior experience with CAD, but after a couple of frustrating evenings (2-3hours each), I worked my way through the tutorials in the program and then the on-line ones. I think the on-line ones help more by the way. I've done several parts now and really like the program and have very little trouble navigating through things. Occasionally I do something in the wrong order and have trouble getting my part to come out right, but it's usually a quick fix to make things right. I bought the program yesterday so I wouldn't miss out on the deal for $99. I talked to the sales people, and they won't release ow long it'll be on sale...I sure worked them over trying to find out though. If anyone has trouble with the program or trying to figure out how to do something, I also found their forum to be very helpful. For anyone interested in the program, I think its a pretty good deal and seems fairly easy to pick-up (at least for me). You just have to wrap your mind around the way they were thinking when they made the program.

Comment

I just purchased this software today for AU$121 which would be similar to the US$99 deal plus AU taxes..

I have got the standard edition version 12.1..Just a quick look around and it looks to be a good value program for home/hobby use..
                Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                X