Whatchamacallit ? (..fasteners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatchamacallit ? (..fasteners)

What's the name for those push-on type nuts that are just a thin piece of sheet metal slightly dished in the center, with two (usually) little opposing spring segments that grip the non-threaded stud ...kinda like a chinese fingerpull?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

You're so close--they're called push nuts. See: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and enter "push nut" in the Find box.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Hi lynn. As you said, they are called push nuts, or sometimes, push on retainers. MSC and others sell them in quantity

Comment

They are Tinnerman Nuts.

The type Lynnl is referring to are "spring nuts". "Push nuts" are round with six teeth.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well, I'm sure I'd heard the term 'push nut', but just assumed the user was like me, and was just using that term 'cause he didn't know what else to call 'em.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Tinnerman nuts loop over the edge of a piece of sheetmetal to hold itself in place.

Comment

Tinnerman makes many types of such nuts and it has become a generic term for them.

The one you are referring to Joel is a clip nut or speed nut.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-16-2003).]
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The part you desire is called a [email protected]%&#**nut by anyone trying to remove it without a grinder!
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

These are push nuts, Tinnerman makes them, but a "tinnerman nut" is something different.

Jerry

Comment

wierdscience:
                    You can remove them by inserting a small prybar - I mean blade style screwdriver (non-hollow gound, of course) - under the teeth and pry up. The teeth will either snap off, or if done right open enough to remove push nut. As easy as e^-(pi*i). (-1 if you care)

Comment

The weird one has the correct name in my book. I use the full name which is much longer. But he has the common pet name for them. Since clerks in hard ware stores are so dumb (mostly) I learn whatthey call things and ask for the thing by clerk name. So a roll pin, split pin and metal dowell are same thing in same store if you can get some one to open the show case and remove it. Most clerks understand if you show them a sample EXACTLY like you want- always buy morethan you need becasue it saves talking ot a gum chewing clerk.
                      Steve

[This message has been edited by docsteve66 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Comment

Doc,I am among other things a bolt chaser,people come in and ask for wierd s---.like "do you have a quadruple start, lefthand, metric, buttress threaded, stainless steel, cheese head, self tapping ,washer head, prince reed ,self sealing screw ,in a 6-48 pitch?" Thats when I say sure,I have a 6-32 tap and a tap drill!

Thrud,man are you in a surplus of time,I take the torch and anneal then cut with pliers,really a b--- on the next door neighbor kids Tonka trucks,dern plastic stinks when it melts Object lesson for rug rats next door,do not p--- off big scary machinist neighbor and then ask him for help The kinda thing that stays with them forever Priceless!
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Star-lock.

Comment

Working...
                          X