Dro's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dro's

CDCO sells a no-name Chinese DRO system, has any body tried these.

Are they good or junk, the price is right.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Whilst I haven't bought their DROs (yet), I have bought quite a bit of stuff from CDCO and have yet to be disappointed in any of it.

On the subject of cheap digital stuff, I have a few really cheap digital calipers from Aldi ($A19.95 ea). I also have a digital caliper costing several times as much. I really can't tell the difference in performance.

I will be interested in the replies here as I am about to order a few of CDCO's DROs for my 9x20 Lathe and X2 Mini Mill.

It is interesting to see digital stuff "invading" my shed. I now have a Wixey digital fence on my table saw (absolute magic!), a Wixey Digital Angle gadget (what a time saver on the mill, setting fences to 90deg on the joiner, etc) Also have a digital adjustable angle gadget from Lee Valley, a digital height gauge made from a cheap digital caliper. Also about to install a digital height scale on my thicknesser (one of the CDCO ones should do the job here, much cheaper than the Wixey equivalent). Have also just bought a digital indicator to use in place of my dial indicator, so much easier to read and interpret.
    Last edited by Steelmaster; 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I've just received two orders from CDCO in the past month with really quick shipping and tracking numbers. He's opened up his catalog to a great deal more cutting tools in the past year.

I'm planning on buying a DRO for my 13 X 40 lathe in the next couple of months. The DRO's he sells have a two years warranty so I'll give him a try.

Comment

I've installed their DRO on my EXCELLO mill, and I'm happy with it. The only drawback I've found with it is the manual. It was obviously written by someone who's native language WAS NOT english! Still, you should not have any trouble installing it. I made some minor alterations to mine. Made another pivot section to the read-out module, so I could get it more addustable (as to where I could see it better, or in some instances, get it out of the way) I also made some end caps for the covers over the scales so it would keep out the swarf.

Some of the features mentioned in the manual seem like greek to me. Although with it comes to this kind of stuff, I've got to admitt, I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree!

I've bought a number of things from them and have not been disapointed yet! I've bought several backer plates for lathe chucks, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the cast iron. No voids! very dense cast iron!

Comment

Ditto what doc said. I have a Sino on my mill from CDCO works fine but the Chinglish manual makes a nice coffee coaster.
          ed

Comment

I wouldn't make a judgment based on the manual. I have two "name brand" DROs, a Fagor and a Newell, and both manuals are pretty sketchy. Fortunately, DROs are pretty easy to figure out, both as to mounting and operation.

Comment

Sino manual

I agree with the comments about the manual. The only manual I've seen that is worse is for the machinist level. I down loaded a Newal manual and that helps. If your not used to DRO's it is not that easy (for me) to figure it out.
              The DRO it's self works just fine, I have 2 and will be buying a third. Re CDCO when I consider all things I like dealing with them, not perfect but sure try hard to get the right stuff to me in timely, economical manner.

Comment

I just recieved an AXA sized QCTP and some other goodies from them. Not Aloris by any stretch, but at 78 bucks the kit, so what? Working good for me. DRO is next, and it'll be bought from this guy.

Hell if it works for only a couple years, still cheaper to replace it two or three times for the money of a single big dog unit. Resolution may not be big dog accurate, but I am not big dog accurate yet anyway. So whadda ya got to lose? Only chump change in the total scheme that is called machining.

Another $000,000,000.02

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                  CDCO sells a no-name Chinese DRO system, has any body tried these.

Are they good or junk, the price is right.
                  Do you have a link to CDCO? And can I ask who/what CDCO is?

Thank you, Ron

Comment

I bought a DRO for my mill from CDCO about a year ago (Sino brand) - it works fine except for one issue - the arc function works only in metric mode - no matter how many times I poke the metric / imperial button. All other functions work in both Imperial and metric but not ARC. A minor inconvenience, I just get out the calculator and convert everything. I don't know if they're all like this or just the one I got. If anyone else has found a solution to this I would like to hear it.
                    One other thing I didn't like initially is that the readout is to 5 decimal points, seemed far too sensitive though I've gotten used to that now, just shift the eyes over a couple digits.

Comment

Ive got the sino on my 13x40 lathe works well the only thing is that the zero reset requires you to input vs. just poking the zero key on the other hand it just keeps working was ,easy to set up, low price and a lot of features like taper. have no idea what the inside of the box looks like unlike my accurite where I just about have it memorized

Comment

Originally posted by RBD
                        Do you have a link to CDCO? And can I ask who/what CDCO is?

Thank you, Ron
                        CDCO Machinery

Comment

these guys claim .0002 resolution...anyone know accuracy figures for them, you know, how accurate is it over such and such a distance?

I'm sort of torn, on one hand I'll get heartburn paying 3-4x as much for Newalls or Mitutoyo scales because a know a big portion is for the name...OTOH I'll be equally pained if i spend 500 only to be frustrated with it.

loose nut, have you found a Canadian vendor or are you thinking of importing them?

Comment

I posted several times about my Sino lathe DRO I got from CDCO Tools. In defense of the origial questioner, you would probably not be able to find them via a search here as it appears that three letter words in search conditions (like DRO) are ignored. You can use Google and point it to this site in the following search string to find these posts. There is plenty of info and pictures there. In summary....I like mine and it's far better resolution than you will get for $500 in any of the other choices.

sino dro site:homeshopmachinist.net

Paul
                            Paul Carpenter
                            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                              these guys claim .0002 resolution...anyone know accuracy figures for them, you know, how accurate is it over such and such a distance?

I'm sort of torn, on one hand I'll get heartburn paying 3-4x as much for Newalls or Mitutoyo scales because a know a big portion is for the name...OTOH I'll be equally pained if i spend 500 only to be frustrated with it.

loose nut, have you found a Canadian vendor or are you thinking of importing them?

I would probably order them for pick-up at the NAMES show next April.

Any where that I have looked for DRO's , US or Canada, are way to expensive to justify for a hobby shop, at least for me. Most of the things that I have picked up from them has been pretty good but this is a lot more expensive so I'm a bit leary of a no-name brand with out some kind of proof that they won't crap out in a short time, short time as in several years.

Any one have a life expectancy for DRO's, any brand not just CDCO, and how hard is it to shorten the length of the scales without destroying them?
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Working...
                              X