How to save CAD image to jpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save CAD image to jpeg

How are you guys saving those CAD images to jpeg I see you posting here?

I'm running MasterCam and can't find a way to do it

I save mine as gif, jpegs or windows metafiles using the export function in Cadkey.

Comment

solidworks lets you "Save as" a .JPG
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

If you scan the net there are programs that will convert DWG and maybe others into jpeg files.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

In MC9 and MCX I export the drawing as an IGS then import it into DesignCad 3000. Do a CTRL A to select the whole drawing and CTRL C to copy it.

Then I open MS PhotoDraw and and paste the drawing from the clipboard.

A long way around the barn but it works (usually). I am sure that other graphic porgrams will let you don the same thing.

Errol Groff
          Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
          http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

A low tech solution is to just do a top level window screen capture by pressing the CONTROL-ALT-PRTSCN keys at the same time. Then open MS Paint, go to edit/paste the image and save as a jpeg.

Comment

Nice clean way to get a drawing out is to just print it to a PDF printer like PDF Factory.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

There is a little free program, "Fast Stone Capture", which works great on capturing anything on screen. It can be saved as a variety of formats, and from there you can mark it up as you wish ,,, if you wish.

a quick google will give it to you, sorry I don't have a link handy

rollin'

Comment

Vista has a 'snipping tool' for grabbing stuff off the screen. It's tucked away in 'programs - accessories'
                  Mark
                  What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
                  www.remark.me.uk

Comment

One thing to realise is that bitmaps and jpegs are pixel based and saving a drawing looses a lot of detail.

Just had a look for a drawing with no customer copyright on it that is detailed but found the front bogies off a 4-8-8-4 bigboy.

This is saved as a jpg via Ifranview.

can't link to a pdf on this site so you have have to go here to see the pdf of the same shot.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/BIGBOY.pdf

No trickery, just the same part drawing saved in a different format.

Note the out of round wheels, missing track which is there if you zoom in close enough.

Last edited by John Stevenson; 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Solid-colour images with sharp edges or thin lines should be saved as a GIF, rather than a jpeg. Jpegs are for real-life photos with irregular or fuzzy edges and multi-hued colours. The GIF's will be smaller filesize and sharper detail.
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Problem is Peter that unless you do a screen grab most of the CAD programs won't allow you to save to GIF., so you loose quality going from BMP or JPG to GIF

Just tried it and it wasn't bad, thanks for the tip, still not as clear as a PDF but far better than the JPG, Here's the GIF of the same drawing

Comment

.png is pretty damn good and lossless compression. It's a raster though and doesn't scale well at all.

Cut from your pdf:

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

You Da Man

Peter has the answer, PNG saves with good resolution AND is of a format that can be linked into a forum post unlike PDF

just did this and you can't tell the difference between this PNG and the same PDF of the part.

PDF probably score if you have to send to a customer as he's probably not heard of PNG.

Comment

Thanks Guys - I think I got it now

Must have been a glitch having AutoCAD and Mastercam open at the same time. Try as I might it would not copy the screen image to the clip board. Once AutoCAD was closed out it worked fine

I just went to "Screen" in the upper tool bar
                              selected "Copy Screen Image to Clip Board"
                              selected the image and dumped it on an open blank "Paint" .jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X