X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift blocks

Air gauge

Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

The plates that came with my HF 12 ton have various V and half round cuts in the edges. I figured the plates are to be used on edge and work is held in the cuts and force is applied in the middle of a part to bend but the plate edges are *wildly* out of square.

Could it be safe to use to the two plates in a stack?

I priced flat bar and plate from online suppliers and a small quantity
      to make two plates starts getting around what the press cost!

Comment

Recently bought a HF 12 ton press. Needed it to do some rear end bearings on a car I was working on. Unfortunately, I didn't put it together myself (floor model) and was dismayed to see the press cross pieces and the press plates bend at an alarming rate. The spindle under the hydraulic jack is bent to one side, and the guide rods were soon binding.

"Well, this can't be right." I figured, the jack wasn't exhibiting any undue amount of pressure, but everything was getting scary. I wondered if Chinese steel "U" channels were actually weaker than American made ones...

After almost pulling the press over onto myself, I realized all of the bolts holding it together were just finger tight...That's what I get for assuming "professional assembly". I got out my 1/2" drive Ingersol-Rand impact wrench and went over all of the bolts backing every one up with a wrench. Every one of them were loose. As I tightened the bolts, I carefully aligned all of the beams and cross-pieces. On the next attempt, the press performed perfectly....I may decide, later on, to weld some of the structure in order to get even more rigidity. First things first. I need to make a new press "snout" that holds the press piece onto the bottom of the jack, first. The one on there is bent off to one side. Then I can machine a new ram for it.
        I realize I probably should have bought the bigger press(20ton) and wouldn't have had this problem, but fortunately, I can make this one work...it's just going to take some ingenuity.
        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
          Recently bought a HF 12 ton press. Needed it to do some rear end bearings on a car I was working on. Unfortunately, I didn't put it together myself (floor model) and was dismayed to see the press cross pieces and the press plates bend at an alarming rate. The spindle under the hydraulic jack is bent to one side, and the guide rods were soon binding.

"Well, this can't be right." I figured, the jack wasn't exhibiting any undue amount of pressure, but everything was getting scary. I wondered if Chinese steel "U" channels were actually weaker than American made ones...

After almost pulling the press over onto myself, I realized all of the bolts holding it together were just finger tight...That's what I get for assuming "professional assembly". I got out my 1/2" drive Ingersol-Rand impact wrench and went over all of the bolts backing every one up with a wrench. Every one of them were loose. As I tightened the bolts, I carefully aligned all of the beams and cross-pieces. On the next attempt, the press performed perfectly....I may decide, later on, to weld some of the structure in order to get even more rigidity. First things first. I need to make a new press "snout" that holds the press piece onto the bottom of the jack, first. The one on there is bent off to one side. Then I can machine a new ram for it.
          I realize I probably should have bought the bigger press(20ton) and wouldn't have had this problem, but fortunately, I can make this one work...it's just going to take some ingenuity.

I've not had that problem at all. I've done car wheel bearings and other similar tasks with no bending. If you're not happy with the 12 ton and it bends, I'd sure take it back and show them. They'll probably give you a credit against the 20 ton job.

Comment

new 30 toner bought off ebay a few months back.

was £185

used it a few times ..im quite happy with it ..i think i had value for money .

continued...

Comment

this pic is of it upside down ...the ends of the uprights have to be shortened to stop it rocking ..other than that ok .

all the best.markj
              Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM.

Comment

As they come from the store the 12 and 20 ton presses that I've looked at are too short for the floor and way too high for the bench.
                Here is my version of getting the press to a comfortable height.

I used 1 3/4" pipe with a round circle of steel welded at the top. With a nut welded to the the bottom side of the plug so that you end up with a weld in threaded insert that bolts to the bottom of the press frame.
                Weld on some feet and some cross bracing for stability.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories‚Äč

Comment

I've used the heck out of my 12 ton plates and also have a pair of the 20 ton plates - never an issue with them. I've had the jack into overload only a couple of times. No bending or other issues.

As for getting axle bearings off, I've found it much easier to score and snap off the outer race, remove the balls and cage, then score and snap the inner race - rather than use the press.
                  Chris
                  Merkel, Tx
                  http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

I wanted the 20 ton but didn't want to try to wrestle a 200 lb weldment into basement. Too bad because it would have only been about $60 extra. It was only a little over $100 for the 12 ton.

The four bolts that hold on the top were marked 8.8, anyone believe this rating?
                    I think I'll get four top quality 10.9 bolts for overkill. Very cheap insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Ladenheim
                      The four bolts that hold on the top were marked 8.8, anyone believe this rating?
                      Essentially a (standard) grade 5 bolt. What's not to believe?

Comment

I've had my 12 ton for over 25 years, wasn't from Harbor Freight but may be the same item.

Mine is a floor press and it suits my 6ft 2 body just fine.

Comment

I've got their 20ton press and thougt it was a bargain. I was unaware of the plate breaking problem so will likely scrap mine unless someone wants to pay shipping for some fine chinese cast iron to make a cake plate, drink coaster or maybe just to hold down the old picnic table cloth I do as a matter of course wrap anything in the press in some carpet strips before putting the arse to it.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                            Essentially a (standard) grade 5 bolt. What's not to believe?
                            People often complain about fastener quality on cheap imports.

Comment

You could do what I did with some scrap cast iron, once, Y.O.D.

Nobody wanted it, it was heavy, and useless for anything but a paperweight.

So....I put it into a close fitting cardboard box, and gift wrapped it, complete with a bow. I left it in the back of my pickup, and within two days, somebody stole it....BTW, that was when I still lived in Los Angeles....
                              No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Years ago I picked up a 20 ton rated one, (looks almost identical to the one mark posted) from Princess Auto at a discounted price which was further discounted for that day only, hell of a deal! It was marked down because there was no jack with it. I fabricated a sliding plate to hang from the underside of the top crossmember and welded a spud onto it to hold my 10 ton port-a-power ram and I hang my hand pump on the side. That isn't exactly the ideal position for it but it works. Being able to slide the "push point" over to the side gives me the ability to do presses on stuff that I couldn't do if I tried to use the factory setup and I have only encountered one situation where I actually needed more tonnage than what I had to do the job.I also put a couple of fairly decent casters on the bottom, two fixed and two swivel, it sure is nice to be able to roll it out of the way to clean up behind it, plus I have it in front of a shelving unit that I infrequently need to get to. Now I really need to build myself a nice little rolling cubby hole unit to hold all the little (and some not so little!) bits of metal I use for spacers. It sure is nice to be able to turn specialty pieces, bushings and the like on the old 9" SB to do specific jobs!

Comment

Working...
                                X