Standard Modern 9 inch Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Modern 9 inch Lathe

Anyone familiar with the capabilities and build quality of this model? It is also tagged Utilathe series 1000.

Thanks, Bob.

Welcome to the board Bob, You will find some very knowledgeable people here.I am not one of them, but I have owned several Standard Modern lathes.
    I currently have a 11 x 24 and also a 13 x 40. They look and are built the same as the 9 in. model. Depending on the year of course
    I have done a fair amount of work with mine without any problems.
    They are still made in Toronto Ontario, so getting parts should not be a problem.
    They built and sold quite a few to the U.S Defense Department and to school boards here in Ontario.
    Was there a particular concern about your 9in. or are you considering buying one?
    Dave

Comment

you guys should consider putting your locations in the profiles, I wonder because SM was Canadian so perhaps you're local

I have a SM 12x 30 and think its a solid machine. its not DSG or Monarch, but its not supposed to be. just a good quality engine lathe. Sold for a good dollar too, in their day....actually their day still exists, you can buy a new SM. The current company is more a resurrection of brand than the company, who knows maybe the new are ok, maybe not....the were non existent for a decade or so I don't think its any of the same people or perhaps even models.

like any old iron though, value is in what condition its in and how much tooling comes with it. if you get a good one, for sure you will be getting a more solid lathe than the offshore stuff. They regularly appear on craiglist and kijiji here in Toronto. Just stay clear of that character on millwick who's got a bunch of them lol

Comment

I run one.

My ' small' lathe is one of those. I have a DC drive unit instead of the original 3 phase. It is a really pleasant machine to use, it will turn to half a thou with care. It is heavier built than a 9" Southbend, and the centre height is 1/8" more. Mine came secondhand, after school use and it has done a lot of hobby and commercial work for me. I replaced the tailstock barrel, thanks to damage before I bought it, and made a new crossfeed screw and nut after several years of daily repetition work wore the screw in one place and the nut became sloppy.If I were a rich man I would buy a new one. Regards David Powell.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am in Toronto as well. I am a new to this and have been toying with the idea of buying a metal lathe to expand my hobby capabilities. I must admit I am swayed by the flowing design on the older lathes such as the Myford and South Bend. The idea of locally built also has great appeal, as I am a tool collector with a good amount of Canadian made machinery (Woodworking).

Bob.
          Last edited by Nicad; 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

HSM Writer Frank McLean used one, so you know it will do the job. They don't make the 9" any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicad
              Anyone familiar with the capabilities and build quality of this model? It is also tagged Utilathe series 1000.

Thanks, Bob.
              I have an 11"x 24" model, made about 1965. Replacement parts are through Leblonde. They are a) not cheap, and b) not particularly helpful. They wanted me to buy a parts catalogue first, so that I could THEN order by catalogue number. Two examples;- I was told by another member of our club that a replacement crossfeed screw and nut were about $500.00 landed in Ottawa. The smaller bevel gear in the apron was US$144.00 and the larger one was "uncertain-no stock."
              Really nice lathe, and quite heavy; mine is listed by the US Navy manual as 1200 lbs. After moving it into my basement, I believe them! Duffy
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Working...
              X