Not completely O/T - mailing to GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not completely O/T - mailing to GB

I need to mail some hose fittings I machine to a guy in GB. Warwickshire UK, specifically. These will be maybe 4 oz of stuff, valued at about $32 US. Anybody got any good hints about how to make it easy on us both? I've sent stuff overseas before and mostly just used the USPS and the 2976 export form, but trying to read and learn stuff on the Royal Mail site just makes you nuts.

I THINK - not sure - that the items are not restricted, and may be free from duty and VAT because of their low value but I'm having trouble confirming that. I'd hate for my customer to get stuck with extra charges because I screwed up. I should be able to send them international parcel for less than $5. I think. USPS is not much help either and our local post office has very nice people that are no help also.
    Chris
    Merkel, Tx
    http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

well i sent stuff to the uk before in my case was gun parts for a pellet gun, any how all i did was declear the value and listed what was inthe package,if there are fees they have to pay the only way around it is to declear the valve the gets them off the hook for fees, i dealt in the us buying stuff and some chaps were nice to me and declaried a vlaue low enough to avoied the fees for me....

other then this i dont know what to tell you ..

Comment

I buy stuff from the USA quite regularly (or I did until I fell out with PayPal) and it's pretty straightforward. Everything has been sent through the USPS and usually arrives within about 5 days.

Import Duty & VAT is only payable on commercial items over £18 in value (around $32), or on gifts over £36/$64 in value.

If the package is small enough to go via normal postal delivery (i.e. what the guy can carry in his sack) then 9 times out of 10 they don't even bother with the duty & vat. However, if it is large enough to be a 'parcel' and require delivery in a van, then you always get charged for it by Parcelforce, the parcel delivery arm of the Royal Mail.

Peter

Comment

It is no more difficult than shipping anything else by USPS. Ship by First Class Mail International. It is $7.32 for 8oz, will be less for less weight. Use Form 2976 for Customs Declaration. State the quantity of fittings and the value of each individual piece, the total value.

VAT and any other charges imposed by the UK are a fact of life, but should not be excessive for this small of a shipment, if there are any at all.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks, that helps. I recall seeing something that the VAT min was raised last year to £150 or some such. But no confirmation. HM Revenue and Customs docs all say £18 and conversion says my 32.00 USD = 19.4088 GBP.

I'll put them in the smallest package I have - about 3" x 5" and put the CN22 form on it and hope it gets there. That runs about $4 postage which the USPS won't do online - have to walk it in.
          Chris
          Merkel, Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon67
            Thanks, that helps. I recall seeing something that the VAT min was raised last year to £150 or some such. But no confirmation. HM Revenue and Customs docs all say £18 and conversion says my 32.00 USD = 19.4088 GBP.

I'll put them in the smallest package I have - about 3" x 5" and put the CN22 form on it and hope it gets there. That runs about $4 postage which the USPS won't do online - have to walk it in.
            Does this help:

If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco,
            perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you
            :

don’t have to pay Excise Duty
            may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £120
            will have to pay Import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £18

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £7 or under.
            As an aside - isn't making a false customs declaration a federal offence or something? Would that include pricing-down outgoing goods?
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.

As an aside - isn't making a false customs declaration a federal offence or something? Would that include pricing-down outgoing goods?
              Shut up

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                IMHO, the people that write these regs ought to serve some time.
                Chris
                Merkel, Tx

Comment

Just sent a box to London. We were told by the store that USPS is cheaper up to 30lbs than UPS (by about $50). If it was a gift, a declaration of total value over $30 would require the receiver to pay tax. If you are a business you have to put your business information down. If you choose not to and the USPS finds out, they (supposedly) come after you. Now what they do when they get you is beyond me. And I doubt they care unless you start sending lots of packages. I have a small self owned business that I am running and they haven't said boo yet so go figure. Honestly there was an implication that they wanted me to put down my SSN for my tax id number and I refused. But it went anyway... hummm.......

I do see Peter has posted that the declared value is $64 now so maybe that information has not trickled down to our UPS store yet.

Oh, the place told me that I HAD to give a phone number or email for the recipient. They didn't want to ship it with out that box filled in on the slip. ???

rock~
                  Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

if you mark goods as used or second hand or a gift I believe there will be no question of duty.A friend of mine on this site a few years ago sent me a parcel full of old bits and pieces and they were all old used things God bless him he wrote the new value for all things on the package and I got hammered for more than the goods were worth and once I explained it was refunded but I don't think they will do that too often.The stuff I sent him was never charged a penny when it arrived at his house even though I sent new stuff. he teased me about it for ages. Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

'If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco,
                      perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:'

TOILET WATER??? who on earth is importing toilet water? and why do they get special import considerations.

PS ratrock: I hate those companys that ask for my phone number/e-mail. I havent updated that info since I got a cell phone and canceled my land line and one lame ass company NEVER LEFT A DELIVERY NOTICE in my mailbox like.. EVERYONE ELSE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET who delivers packages!.. (I believe it was puralator) and then sent the item back to the sender by time (3 weeks later) I asked the sender where was my item. Of course the company said they 'contacted the number a left a message' funny cause that number clearly goes 'Not in service' when you call it. (Ontop of that, the only place to pick up my package would of been an hours drive into town.. every other company ships to the post office just down the road... Of course, they USED to actualy deliver it to my door, what a CONSEPT, DELIVERY, like yaknow, we PAID OUT THE NOSE for. Now they just deliver 'delivery notices' ... wtf!!!

Mail worked just FINE before phones and e-mail when people actualy bothered to do thier jobs properly, insted of trying to find ways to get additional contact information to spam you and save a few dollars on things like.. gee, actualy delivering the package.. or notifying someone that you have held the package.

(Why it was only a few years ago the drivers would even accept the money for the CUSTOMS charges so you did'nt have to go down and pick those up... usally exact change only but one or two would accept credit card as well)

Sorry for this long mail rant... USPS is one of the better services IMO!
                      Never send anything UPS ground across boarders unless you want to seriously overcharge someone.
                      http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
                      $20 on a $40 package! $30 on a $100 package! outragious.
                      Btw: thats JUST the *additonal* brokerage fees UPS charges. they charge your local customs tax ONTOP of that.

Often they don't even tell you this when you recive the item but send you a notice several months later demanding money. what a scam.
                      I once had to file a paypal dispute just to get a seller to refund me the $50 he cost me in customs charges by shiping UPS ground when we both CLEARLY agreed apon USPS and I paid EXTRA for USPS (Haha at him trying to scam me for $5 diffrence beween USPS and UPS. That sure turned out well for him)

(However: UPS express as noted on that page is 'brokerage free' but UPS express is often way to expensive anyway. USPS *sometimes* charges $5 handleing and 7% tax or whatever it is.. but not allways, it seems to be totaly random even from the same seller for the same type of items!)
                      Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Black Moons, I found myself mailing a parcel to a member in Canada recently and after pricing the box a few different ways I used UPS over USPS.

As it turns out USPS thinks Canada is a overseas foreign country and bills you as such. While UPS sees it as what it is, our friends to the north. You know, the ones we can DRIVE up and see. And with that logic, it was $20 (ish) to send the small light package to Canada with UPS while the USPS wanted $60 for the "foreign" delivery.

I dont disagree with any of what you have noted, but double check when sending things off. Might save you a few bucks.

As for the delivery of items or better yet, COD transactions, Yea, none of them do a good enough job anymore. I had a part that I needed bad at work once. When it got there it was cod. We were told the wrong amount and the check was for (I s$%t you not) 1¢ more than the cod charge. The driver refused the check and took the item back to the depot. We had to cut a second check the next day and I had to wait for the part. We lost a whole days production for that stupidity.

C'est la vi now days.

rock~
                        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Yes, this is a business transaction. I machine fittings for a C4 trans that allow a person to hook up AN braided cooler lines to the stock cooler line ports. Sold nearly 50 sets, sent all over.

Just sent a pair to Canada USPS, using the CN22 form but I have not heard back from the buyer if they got the package. Last year a sent two sets to the Netherlands using $30 worth of USPS tracking on $32 worth of parts. He got the parts before USPS updated the tracking info LOL - took them 10 days to even acknowledge the parts in their system. But they did get there.

If you try to use your online account with USPS, they will not show you any export destination costs under $10~12 or so. You have to refer to the documents for things like First Class International parcel, then download a program that lets you print a label - which also shows you the cost- then put that on the package and go to a post office and pay the postage. The shipping to Canada was $1.49 for the parts. It's under $4 to GB. Yes, you must have a receiver phone to complete the form.
                          Chris
                          Merkel, Tx

Comment

For cheap parts iv found USPS or canadan post (to go the other way back to the USA) without tracking to be cheap and easy. Only ever lost one package that I recall.. and the one that was sent after that.. so I think the sender was likey doing something wrong for them to lose both -_-; *shrugs* got a full refund reguardless.

But yea, as falcon said, iv heard USPS can 'hide' the cheapest services, hence why you got an estimate of $60 most likey. Most USPS charges for me for small boxes are $10~40 depending on box size

Iv found USPS basic service to be much cheaper then UPS express (the only compairable service IMO, if your UPS ground was $20, then USPS was still likey cheaper as the reciver had to pay likey in excess of $40 customs)
                            Just google about UPS customs fees or brokerage fees and you get a ton of horror storys. Someone once even tryed a class action lawsuit.. though I don't think it really got off the ground unfortualy.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I agree with a previous post about UPS being an expensive method to send goods overseas. For packages to Australia they routinely charge 'customs clearance fees' even though the good received are not liable to any duties. If I get the same goods via USPS, they still undergo the same customs inspection but no fee is charge by Customs.

The main limitation with USPS, as with most postal services, is the maximum weight and dimensions of a package.
                              As long as it fits in a standard USPS shipping carton and weighs less than 20lbs, it costs me $US42 to Australia. Typically 7 days to deliver.

[FWIW. I can import goods worth up to $A1000 without being subject to GST(VAT) or duties - at least on the sort of things I'm likely to receive i.e. tools !]
                              Regards
                              Geoff
                              My place.

Comment

Working...
                              X