Strong Arm Shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Arm Shaper

I just ran across this while looking for something else. About the middle of the page;

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

I got a chance to chat with Gary Martin at NAMES in April, and got a look at the shaper there. It is a neat looking little unit, handy enough for those jobs that need a shaper, but not so big as to dominate the shop.

Martin also has the Quorn kits and Universal pillar tool available as well as die flier, pantograph and gear hobber kits. The latter two are not pictured yet, but if they are anything like the rest of Gary's kits, I am sure they are worthwhile.
    Jim H.

Nice and the the little die filer is neat too.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I also met Gary Martin a few years back at NAMES.
      He is without a doubt, a nice guy, and a Master Pattern Maker, and his work shows it.
      Nice website Jim, for other castings as well-Thanks
      Rich

Comment

The Strong Arm shaper looks neat, but $365 for the castings? Wow.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
          The Strong Arm shaper looks neat, but $365 for the castings? Wow.

Yes, that was my first impressions as well, not saying they are not worth because you can see that there is a lot of work there, still, that is a chunk of change!

Comment

Unfortunately castings are no longer inexpensive. Consider the expense of designing and making the patterns, getting the castings made, QC'ed, packed and shipped and the very real cost of maintaining an inventory and you will get an idea of where the costs come from.

I haven't looked at the prices, but I believe Gary's prices for the Quorn and Pillar Drill are lower than available from the UK.

I believe the John Deere castings are in the $800+ range, which is what Dinky Deere was charging several years ago for them. This is not a high volume business which also influences costs. Take a look at other suppliers of quality castings and you will see that Gary is not out of line.
            Jim H.

Comment

Probably not out of line for the castings for that unit...but that's a separate question from the utility vs. dollars question when you are done. 4" stroke and 4" traverse. Let's see...cutting a key way lets say you need 1.5" at each end for vee blocks and clamping. Now you can cut a keyway 1" long...assuming you can get your clamping done in that space. All shapers suffer from limited envelope and difficulties with work holding stuff eating up space. A very tiny one has much bigger limitations in that area.

For the home shop guy the question is "am I after a working tool or building this as a project"? If the working tool is the point, this is not the most cost effective method as you can buy a small (or bigger) shaper with a much more reasonable work envelope for around the $500 you will have in this one between the castings and other hardware.

Otherwise, the thing makes a pretty cute project. Maybe more work than say a basic beam engine (mabye not), but it can make tiny parts when done while air/steam engines just look cool running.

Paul
              Paul Carpenter
              Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
                Probably not out of line for the castings for that unit...but that's a separate question from the utility vs. dollars question when you are done.
                Right, that was my concern as well: Gary makes beautiful castings, and yes his Quorn castings are cheaper than getting them from the UK, but it seems hard to justify $365 for the Strong Arm castings when you can get an Atlas shaper for $400 - 750, depending on condition.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

And a shameless plug, he works here at Portland TechShop. http://www.portlandtechshop.com He is the wood shop foreman while he runs his patternmaking business here.

He has a 10 week long patternmaking class here as well.

Sept 10, 11, and, 12th there will be a three day, 10 hours a day, long seminar on patternmaking, molding and casting for aluminum and bronze. It will be taught by Gary, Bud, and a couple guys from one of the local foundries.

Here is a pic of a pattern he just recently finished for the Oregon Zoo's train.

Also a gear hobber made by one of Tom Hammond in his patternmaking class. All the patterns were made in the class.

More pics on out flikr photostream here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techshoppdx/

Comment

It depends on your needs. I had an Atlas shaper for a couple of years and finally decided it was a waste of space that could be better utilized. For the occasional job requiring a shaper, I could use something like that which I could stow under a bench when not needed. Most of my work is model making and gunsmithing and the small envelope would be a fit. The cost is something to be worked out by the individual.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                    X