jaws for 9 inch chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jaws for 9 inch chuck

Does anyone know where I can get bolt-on step jaws for a three-jaw 9 inch chuck? Jaw groove is 1/2 inch, length 3 5/8, 1/2 inch bolts (2 each jaw), 2 1/8 bolt center and 3/4 tongue. I need the type where the longest parts of the jaws are against the center of the chuck. Used would be fine.

thanks

Manhattan Supply sells bolt on jaws. They aren't cheap though.

Comment

MSC and Enco sell them and there are others that do.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Likey a stupid question, but have you tryed just bolting on your existing jaws backwards? the point of 3 jaw with bolt on jaws is you can usally unbolt then and flip the jaw around to go from an inside to outside steped chuck, where as a normal 3 jaw requires 2 *sets* of jaws because the scroll plate won't let you flip a jaw.

(4 jaw chucks use a worm gear and the jaws can be removed and fliped.)

Or maybe make some new ones outta scrap? (face nice and square in a 4 jaw, then mount and bore out the ID?)

Soft jaws (aluminium, or even just mild steel) can be nicer as they won't mar (much) and you can make small steps in the jaw to hold thin peices and remachine them if needed. if you want you can even machine right into them while holding a part (assumeing you don't end up cuting all the jaw away) and not care that you just cut into your jaws because they where just $4 of self machined metal, insted of some $50 product you had to order.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'll second just making them

Not too difficult to make Bolt-On Al. soft jaws and easy enough to true up once in place

Comment

jaws

The chuck is missing the bolt-on jaws, so there's nothing to swap around. Store-bought jaws are so expensive I might as well buy a whole used chuck. Maybe something will turn up. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Back when I was tooling my Rockwell 11", all I got with it was a totally clapped out 6" Buck with 1 piece jaws. I found a good deal on a Pratt Burnerd 6" chuck with almost no use, but the top jaws had been lost. To start using it, I made some "soft jaws" from high carbon tool steel. The material was a "gift", and it turned out they were in "pre-hard" condition. Quite a pain to cut, required carbide, but they made a great set of jaws that could be modified if needed, but were resilient to deformation. I made some other more traditional soft jaws as well.

So make some jaws and get on with making chips...

I was getting by just fine, but I wanted some regular top-jaws. Like you, I found the cost prohibitive, so I decided to bide my time. I looked up the mount/groove style, noted the relevant bits, and kept my eyes open at local auctions (where you often find top jaws loose in a box of junk for a "lot" price that often does not exceed $10-20), and set some searches on ebay. They turned up from time to time, but usually for too much money for my budget. Finally I got lucky on a set of (seemingly) never mounted jaws from ebay that I got for less than $30 shipped!

Fortunately my latest 8" Bison came with the top jaws, so no worries there...

Good luck.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by steamwhistle
                The chuck is missing the bolt-on jaws, so there's nothing to swap around. Store-bought jaws are so expensive I might as well buy a whole used chuck. Maybe something will turn up. Thanks for the input.
                Steamwhistle

If you have a mill just crank out a set of "Bolt On Al. Jaws". I use mine all the time and they work great for holding power and don't mark up the work.

In fact I used some scrap pieces of Aluminum so they really didn't cost me much of any thing. I'll dink around and see if I can find some pics for you

Comment

These were easy enough to build

Comment

jaws

Thanks for the advice and the picture. Was hoping someone had a set "lying around". If push comes to shove I'll just make a set as most of you suggest.

Comment

Working...
                    X