Lathe button colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe button colors

A seemingly trivial question, but I think about it every time I look at my lathe, so to put my OCD to rest, I've decided to risk abuse and ask:

The color of the start button for the forward direction is yellow, and the color of the start button for the reverse direction is green. This seems backward to me.

I'd be grateful for an explaination before I go rewire it.

Thanks.

Should be able to just switch the button faces.

Yellow is reverse on my mill, and green is forward - but that's my button choices due to the VFD which runs it.

IMO, lathes shouldn't have buttons for direction; it should be lifting or lowering the arm on the carriage.

Comment

Thanks Jim

Unfortunately the faces are not easily changed, so if it contiunes to bug me I'll just swap the switches.

In case I was not clear, I was refering to the spindle directions. I have no lever to change the spindle directions on my apron.

Perhaps you meant to add that to your wish list.

Comment

To me, green is forward, yellow reverse, but i'm a little OCD too

Cheers

Comment

Having built a multitude of machine controls and operator control stations (pushbutton boxes), I vote green for forward, yellow for reverse. Red for stop - mandatory and preferably oversized and extended head. This last for the possible colorblind operator - an additional visual cue.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Colors are minor.

The start button(s) should be shielded by a raised rim, or set below the surface of the plate, while the stop should be raised.

The idea is that if you slap the face of the control panel, you should stop the machine.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

It would probably be simpler to reverse the motor wiring than the switch wiring. The switch position would then be more logical as well.

If it is a three phase motor, this is a 50/50 chance when reconnecting or relocating a machine. If this is the case, simply switch two of the power leads.
              Jim H.

Comment

It's CDO, properly alphabetized

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                  It would probably be simpler to reverse the motor wiring than the switch wiring. The switch position would then be more logical as well.

If it is a three phase motor, this is a 50/50 chance when reconnecting or relocating a machine. If this is the case, simply switch two of the power leads.
                  That's what I was thinking - maybe during installation the leads got "reversed" so the yellow button became forward. I don't know about you folks, but every time I wire up a 3-phase motor, it always runs backwards. I know it's a 50-50 chance, but I always seem to be on the losing side...

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington
                    To me, green is forward, yellow reverse, but i'm a little OCD too

Cheers
                    So what's pink ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      So what's pink ?

E-stop faded over time by sunlight through the shop window ???

Unless you're in the dreary part of Merry Old England where the sun never shines....

Hey, BD..... You cut any metal lately???
                      Seriously though, if the lathe is 3 ph, it's wayyyy easier to switch 2 live feeds in a plug than rewire 2 switches. My lathes have all had fwd and reverse either side of center on a lever switch except the one that has no reverse. On the only lathe that has buttons and a lever switch, green is fwd jog...
                      Last edited by camdigger; 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM.
                      Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by John Pinkenson
                        So what's pink ?
                        The pink button is found on certain types of 'machinist support unit' and is used to relieve the serious and sometimes dangerous stresses that can build up over a period of neglect.

Sometimes the operator will find his ears aching, and encounter general harrassment of one sort or another.

Unfortunately for the operator, the system has never been perfected, so repeated pressing of the button is usually required, often over many, many minutes. (Under very frosty conditions this may take much longer...) Sometimes the button may be hard to locate.

The effort expended is usually worthwhile - the unit will perform much more sweetly afterwards.

There are apparently battery operated devices which perform a similar function, but these are unlikely to benefit the operator in the same way.

Cheers

Comment

You guys need to get out of the shop more - the pink button is how you turn your wife on.

Comment

If there is a 50:50 chance of getting something right, I have about a 80:20 change of getting it wrong the first time.

Comment

Lots of good humor here

This is not a 3Ph motor.

After seeing a few responses to my seemingly trivial question, I figured I was in for some grief for asking yet another stupid question...thanks for limiting the abuse. One thing you will learn about me, being Braindead: I am NOT afraid to ask a stupid question

Here's another one: I've seen machinists use lube with a live center. Is this a normal procedure? Is it used just in case there is some relative movement between the work and the center?

Camdigger: why is it always you Kanooks causing trouble???
                              NO, I have not yet made my first chip, but I AM getting closer!

Comment

Working...
                              X