model cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model cannon

I am in the process of building a small model cannon. I need advice on how to bore the barrel. The bore depth will be 8" with a dia of 1". To much flex with a boring bar. Looking at long drill bit also. There must be other tools for this job when people are buidling cannons with 1.5" bores.

1" drill bit. You're going to be shooting blanks, not 1000 yard competitions.

I drilled mine in steps. Starting with a jobbers 3/8" bit, then up to 1/2, then up again....

This only went about 1/2 way, then I went to extension bits and repeated the process to 12" deep.

BTW Roll-on deoderant balls filled with baby powder make realy neat cannon balls.

She's almost 20 years old now. Made from 3" cold roll.
    Proofed it with 3 shotgun shells full of FFg and 6 shells full of shot. What a ROAR!!
    Last edited by Rusty Marlin; 09-04-2009, 01:54 PM.
    Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. the 1" bit I have is 6" long but I can build a extenion for it. I also ordered a couple extra long drill bits but only up to 3/4" in dia..
      Nice looking cannon is that from a set of plans

Comment

Yes, Dad found a copy of a casting print for an 8 pound deck gun.
        it isn't perfectly copied, but it looks good.
        Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

what about boring it with a boring bar and then reaming it to 1"?

heres a couple pics of a small cannon i built for my father for his birthday. the bore only goes in about 2" but its not firing so it doesnt make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mark42
            I am in the process of building a small model cannon. I need advice on how to bore the barrel. The bore depth will be 8" with a dia of 1". To much flex with a boring bar. Looking at long drill bit also. There must be other tools for this job when people are buidling cannons with 1.5" bores.
            Could I suggest that you use a length of DOM 1" id. Then machine a well-fitted and threaded plug for the breech end. Then machine it as if it was bored. Duffy
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

A 1" drill bit with an extension welded or silver soldered on will suffice in most cases.

A D bit, with a 1/2" radius on the end will produce the proper profile for the chamber, and is simple to make from 1" drill rod. The D bit will also produce a better finish than a twist drill.
              Jim H.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...on1/cannon.jpg
                Here is the start of my 10" cannon the 6" cannon is one I made 25 years ago in school
                Last edited by mark42; 09-04-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090905/..._through_house
                  28 mins ago

UNIONTOWN, Pa. – A Pennsylvania history buff who recreates firearms from old wars accidentally fired a 2-pound cannonball through the wall of his neighbor's home. William Maser, 54, fired a cannonball Wednesday evening outside his home in Georges Township that ricocheted and hit a house 400 yards away. The cannonball, about two inches in diameter, smashed through a window and a wall before landing in a closet. Authorities said nobody was hurt.

State police charged Maser with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

No one answered the phone Friday at Maser's home. He told WPXI-TV recreating 19th century cannons is a longtime hobby. He said he is sorry and he will stop shooting them on his property, about 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Comment

I am building this for noise only

Comment

[QUOTE=johnhurdState police charged Maser with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.[/QUOTE]
                      Figures. Given that no one was hurt and there was no malicious intent, an aplogy and restitution would have been adequate.

Comment

John,

Uniontown is rural enough that I have NO idea how it came to be that he hit his neighbor's house.

Plenty of room to shoot with nobody in the line of fire.

Fellow I know fired his over the 4th, an inch or more bore, 2 ounces of black, rag wad, and that sumbitch backed up about 4 feet. Probably weighed in at 20 pounds or so. 3 inch barstock, about 2 foot long on carriage.

LOTSA noise. Smoke smelled heavenly, for a BP shooter.

Cheers,

George

I might have a drill I could lend you. Have to check in the AM.

Comment

>ricocheted and hit a house 400 yards away.

That's one hell of a bounce!
                          Chris
                          Merkel, Tx
                          http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

cannons !! OT maybe

We built a black powder cannon years ago on a job we had in a wide open place. 4 in ductile iron water pipe 10 ft long, 5 gal bucket filled with conctete was the breech. 1 Qt sized Gatorade bottles filled with sand or rocks, or softballs were the projectiles. We could get way over 1/4 mile with it. it's just a bigger version of the potatoe guns we were messing with at the time.
                            Gotta love explosions though !!

yes drill it out, stepping up as you go to the 1 in. mark, shouldn;t be too hard to manage.

good luck T

Comment

DOM Tubing

A piece of DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing would probably be way better for a cannon than any drilled piece of steel. The drawing and resulting forging would probably yield a stronger barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X