Monitor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor question

Got an old computer up and running for my shop.No net access none of that,just something to run CAD and hold some charts,tube miter program etc.It's running XP just fine on 1024m.

Only trouble is the monitor is old and dinky.

Question is with all the folks heading to the pawn shop with late model LCD TV's in tow and knowing many of them can connect and be used as monitors what are the chances I can pull it off?If so what will it take,downloading drivers,odd cabling etc???

Right now I got $0.00 in this old system including the CAD program and I can pick up a 22-30" LCD tv for less than $60.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

If the TV has the same input as your computer's graphics-card output (VGA or DVI) then you should be fine... no special cabling or drivers required. From personal experience, if the TV is widescreen, the graphics card may not support its native resolution so you'll either see black bars on the sides of the monitor or a horizontally stretched image.

Comment

LCD tvs are usually pretty low resolution even with a big screen with maximums like 1024 x 768 or similar. That will work fine with your computer so I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up at that price. The only drawback is that it won't look that good from close up. TVs are meant to be watched from a distance.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Most of the TVs that are wide screen are 1280x720. Thats OK for maybe a 15" monitor. 1080p TVs are 1920x1080 and that looks good up to 100" or more. At least thats what I have. at 100" a pixel is about 1/16". A 1080p tv looks pretty darn good over 30" up close.

Comment

Not to derail the conversation but this may interest the OP as well.

If you go to a larger screen (26" 1080p LCD TV with monitor inputs), can you open more windows as there is more room and still be able to read them? My graphics card does have digital output. I ask because I have a Ham Radio application where I would like several windows open at once but on my smaller screen I can't read the info.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

With new 17" LCD computer monitors for lass tan 150 bucks, just go that rout.
            I was buying used LCD monitors from police auctions for 80-90 until i found out new ones didn't cost a lot more.

Comment

YOD,

You are better off to use two monitors. Graphics applications especially including CAD really need the extra working space. This is how I use SketchUp on my dual monitor system. I have a 24 inch monitor on the right and a 19 inch on the left and the desktop spans both. If I do a screen grab it captures the entire desktop at once. I couldn't work without the extra space for the dialogs. I have resized this for display, of course. Normally the desktop is 3120 x 1050 pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                With new 17" LCD computer monitors for lass tan 150 bucks, just go that rout.
                I just picked up a 20" wide screen LCD for $140 (not on sale) from the store. With the average veiwing distance of 24" there is more then enough room to run dual screens side by side

Comment

Okay,so I need to look for a 1080p set preferably,I think he has one now for $50 about a 26" screen.I'm gonna try it,I read at arms length anyway and use a larger text size.

I also think this will work good if I throw a drawing up on the screen and keep it up while I'm sitting at the mill,should be better than dealing with paper prints.

Evan,I have to ask,just how does one link multiple monitors to one machine?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Lately I've been stocking up on used 20"-plus CRTs. I now have so many I can run dual monitors on as many computers as I can find desk space for.

CRTs are usually free in my area. Everyone's dumping them for that newfangled stuff, and rather than pay the $10-$15 or so to drop them off at the dump, they'll give them away. See your local Craigslist.

Be aware that most of us on this forum have reached that state of maturity at which a 21" CRT is about the most we can lug up and down the stairs without dire risk. Sad but true.

Comment

Most machines now have two video outlets on the back. You may not recognize that because they aren't the same type of connector. You will have the standard SVGA analog connector and probably a DVI digital connector. You can either connect a monitor with the DVI connector or use an DVI to SVGA adapter to connect another analog monitor. Windows automatically supports up to 4 connected monitors so no additional sofware is required.

The connector adapter looks like this so if you have the matching end to the rectangular end then you have a second video output.

If you don't have a second video port then you might be able to add a second video card depending on if there is a spare slot in the machine. There are too many variations to go into detail on this without knowing more specific information about your computer.

Comment

Working...
                      X