Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My start with nails

Hello All,
    Shed's post about his bed/cot... and commenting about being upset with his Mom brought back memories, so here goes.

Most of my friends think I gained my mechanical abilities through my Dad. Truth is, when I see a tool in my Dad's hands I either run screaming the other way, or take it from him and do the job myself. That is if he selected the right tool in the first place.

I credit my mechanical abilities to my Mom's side of the familly. My mother's Grandfather was a carpenter, so I guess their was some genetics going on but this is how I got my real started: When I was in the 3rd grade , my Mom had my little sister who was allergic to milk, so she drank formula from a bottle. My mom doesn't drive so about every week she would send me to the corner drug store about 3/4 of a mile away to buy a case of formula and bring it home. When you're in the 3rd grade a case of formula is dam heavy, so to get me to go, my mom would let me stop at the harware store next to the drug store and buy a pound of nails. It was the kind of store that had nails in big bins, and they used a little rake to push nails into a brown paper bag. Then they would weigh them and charge you a few cents. I'd spend the afternoon pounding nails into boards making things. Thanks Mom

Matt

In trying to cut my first thread on my (new to me) SB-9 lathe this morning my 7 year old son came down to watch & started asking lots of questions. How does this work? How does that work? He is facinated & I am thrilled that he is.

In showing him how it worked, I discovered that I had the wrong screw gear on. This after 5 pieces of scrap (3 from the night before). Swapped gears and now I can cut thread. Thanks buddy.

Maybe I'll buy him some nails...

Comment

Frank,

isn't it great when they light up over what you are doing? Shed Machinist is my kid. 13 going on 35. also have one that lives with me, 17, who is getting into wood turning. it makes me feel good that osmeone i know will be using my tools after i am gone.

also am familiar with getting the wrong gear. it happens. you have to be ready to make some scrap on the way to other things.

have a good day. hello to kid from me.
      bill
      ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Comment

Matt

I used to have to get heavy stuff like that. Put it in my coat and rode my bicycle. Us large guys have things in our coats no-one will ever know about...

For me, I used to go to the hardware store while dad had his head shaved and buy TNT, fuse, and caps. I miss those days

Comment

Yeah, I used to buy dynamite fuse by mail order. Just try that today.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Billr,
            Thanks for your comments. Yes I thinks it's great too. This kid is so interested. And that it makes me more interested. As for the scrap, I mentioned it to the guy that sold me the lathe - his answer, "Why should you be any different?"

Comment

Thrud,
              Wow, TNT? You must have been into the subtractive method of making parts as a kid instead of the addition method.

I didn't have a heavy coat and I only weighed 145lbs in HS. I had other methods of carrying things. I learned to ride a unicycle when I was a kid. I would take six packs of returnable coke bottles back to the store for my mom (she let me keep the money). The neighbors thought it was amazing that I could do this, but if you think about it, it was a more efficient way to carry the bottles than a bicycle because you don't steer with your hands. I could carry two 6 packs under my arms and two in my hands, I never broke one. The skill also came in handy when I was in Jr and Sr high school as the three(pretty) girls down the street rode too.

Matt

Comment

Pounding nails in a board? Man! Wish I could remember when I pounded my first ones. My Dad was a carpenter and would bring home pocketsful of bent ones for me to straighten out and pound. To quote my youngest, "I was 6 years old before I found out that nails were straight when you bought them at the hardware store. Yeah, I remember hardware stores like that, too! Sometimes, I think we're going backwards instead of forwards---merchandising has lost its "character"--everything comes in a "bubble pack".

Comment

The hardware store one block from my office here still has the big rotating bins and the little rake. Rake nails, deck screws, drywall screws etc into the bag and weigh them yourself. The only real change is they now have a digital scale.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Earlier in the post you guys talked about getting the wrong gear. I bought my big lathe about seven years ago, a SB 16/24 from 1952. The gear chart over the tumblers was offset to the right one position. The first thread I tried to cut puzzled the hell out of me, why did the 18 tpi not line up with the thread pitch gage? What puzzles me even more is how that lathe lived 45 years without anyone picking up the mistake? Was it never used for threading? (possible) Or did some old timer offset the plate to protect his job? (not likely, but I did work with some old farts in the mill whose minds worked that way) I can detect no extra holes, and most likely would have run into the 'originals' when I corrected the plate position. Well, anyway, makes you wonder.
                    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Gizmo

My problem was trying to read the table inside the cover of the lathe (stupid place for it IMHO). Bad eyes, too little light, screwed up part. I was so pissed I took the damn plate of and took it to a print shop to have it enlarged 3-4x normal size and them laminated it. Much better, no excuses (now) - still have not returned the plate to its hidey-hole.

Comment

Working...
                      X