This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

miker,
    Your wife did better than me! I tried to take a couple of shots with my point and shoot camera but it would focus properly and insisted I needed a flash.
    As it was 5:30AM, I wasn't inclined to sort out how to set the camera for manual control
    Regards
    Geoff
    My place.

Comment

dudes, i was just making a joke due to the discussion in the Hubble thread. please don't take it so seriously.

i will say that if the sky really was orange from the sand dust, wouldn't that be almost like the light from the sun passing through an orange filter and tinting everything to the red end as Evan noticed?

andy b.
      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3ExHB133k

She Ain’t Pretty by the Northern Pikes.
        Best line in it was "She ain't pretty she just looks that way"!

Comment

Originally posted by andy_b
          i will say that if the sky really was orange from the sand dust, wouldn't that be almost like the light from the sun passing through an orange filter and tinting everything to the red end as Evan noticed?
          -That's exactly what's going on. In my case, I couldn't smell any smoke, there was no ash or particulates accumulating on anything (note the clean car) or anything like that. The smoke stayed very high and basically blotted out the sun:

That gave everything a red-orange tint, darkened things considerably, and gave everything an odd contrast. (Meaning the shadows seemed sharper and more distinct than you'd expect- for example, how you'd see them on a cloudy/overcast day.)

Evan's trying to claim two things: That the photo was altered (meaning intentionally to make it more 'red') and that everyone sees colors differently.

The latter is true, albeit irrelevant, but there's every reason to believe, as the later photos show, the former is not necessarily true. In the case of my photo, no 'enhancement' was necessary- the color and tone was weird enough already- and I was able to compare what I saw on my monitor directly to reality, simply by looking out the window slightly to my right.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Doc,
            I've seen skies like that during a bushfire, pretty common around here for the next few months.
            Today is different. In the 35 or so years I've lived in Sydney, I've never experienced such bad dust and certainly not the unusual colour that everything is at the moment.
            Not looking forward to the house work tomorrow
            Regards
            Geoff
            My place.

Comment

Explain the headlight reflection Doc. Or would you rather poke yourself in the eye with a stick than agree with me?
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Explain the headlight reflection Doc. Or would you rather poke yourself in the eye with a stick than agree with me?
                -Not at all. It's just that I fail to see what's wrong with the headlight. You're apparently claiming the reflection on the damp pavement shouldn't be orange, and in fact, it isn't. There's a clear whitish reflection from the headlight(s), and a larger yellowish wash from the [edit] street lamp almost directly above the car.

You also suggest the girl shouldn't appear orange, but it was my direct experience that everything took on an orange cast. As I noted, my own hands took on a definite sickly yellow-orange look when I was out shooting those pictures.

The point being, especially in light of- pardon the pun- the other photos in this thread, that if the photo was enhanced at all, it was minimal. The light/tone did, and does, in fact, look very close to that. In your "corrected" split-screen view, the green traffic light looks distinctly blue- which as noted, suggests a heavy overcorrection.

Doc.

[edit]Correction: That's a street lamp, not the sun. But the point remains- it provides a definite yellowish glow which created the yellow tone to the reflection off the street.
                Last edited by Doc Nickel; 09-23-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I agree, I've seen red 'days', and everything had a red tint to it.

When you shine a red light on something, everything will look red, and any photos taken will show a distinct red shift.

Ken.

Also, the red ring around the '50' has definately lost it's color in the corrected version.
                  Last edited by kendall; 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I think the color balance of the original photo is quite out of whack, as Evan says. I expect the auto white balance of the camera was unable to cope with the unusual lighting.

In Elements I removed the color cast in the white stripe around the bottom of the traffic light pole, next to the woman's feet. This effects a big change in the overall scene. The sky stays orange, which agrees with eyewitness description.

Last edited by aostling; 09-22-2009, 11:52 PM.
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

in fact, look very close to that. In your "corrected" split-screen view, the green traffic light looks distinctly blue- which as noted, suggests a heavy overcorrection.
                      That's because they are distinctly blue so that people with red/green colour blindness can tell the difference.

You're apparently claiming the reflection on the damp pavement shouldn't be orange, and in fact, it isn't. There's a clear whitish reflection from the headlight(s), and a larger yellowish wash from the [edit] street lamp almost directly above the car.
                      There is no white in the reflection on the street, not even close. That's what I mean by your eye being fooled. There should be but there isn't. I enlarged it via pixel resize instead of interpolation and sampled the lightest pixel in the reflection. It's colour is in the middle of the white band for comparison.

"Larger yellowish wash" That because blue/green from the mercury light combined with the red/orange that was added make yellow. There is nothing between the camera and the street light that can turn it yellow. Light from the scene cannot do it. If it's a sodium vapour lamp then it will not be affected by the orange wash enough to notice. The centre of the street lamp isn't yellow, it's white because it is overexposed.

In fact, it's impossible to have enough dust to so thoroughly filter the blue and green yet still have that degree of saturation of the red and yellow. Again, the human eye is far more adaptable than any camera so eye witness comparisons cannot be relied on.

the light from the sun passing through an orange filter and tinting everything to the red end as Evan noticed
                      One source of light can't tint another source of light. That's what is wrong with the picture.

Comment

Knee-trembles

I can tell you from hard-won personal experience at great cost to myself and several other equally dedicated compatriots, that those colours are exactly what we'd see every morning as we clambered out of the gutter and over the kerb as the sun rose - and burned our bloody eyes out.

It might have been a bush-fire in those experiences of mine as I was told that my face varied from "scorched" to "ashen" and my blood-shot eyes looked like pi$$-holes in the snow.

Also from personal experience of dust-storms here in OZ - that pic looks pretty well exactly as it was then too.

Anyway - enough of this foolishness as I have to put the dog back on the chain and help my Uncle back onto my Aunty (she's pretty pi$$ed off about it!!)

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                        Yep.

Originally Posted by miker
                        Red dust storms blanketing large parts of the country.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Oldtiffe got rattled by an Earth Tremmor.

Damn Global Warming!!
                        The winds blew the dog off the chain and my Uncle off my Auntie!!! Again!!!
                        And yes Miker, in our younger days, my wife and I would have had a real "knee-tremble" -as you can imagine - as we can barely remember.

Comment

Let's see how good your eyes are now.

Square A and square B are exactly the same colour.

Comment

On a Different Tack...

Doc, is that a true Stud in your first photo, or one of the ones made after the company turned turtle?
                            J.D. Leach
                            http://thermionic.uuuq.com

Comment

I'm in Brisbane. Not as red here but very bad. Anyone notice the sun was blue?

Nev
                              Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                                That's because they are distinctly blue so that people with red/green colour blindness can tell the difference.
                                -I'll leave it to an Aussie to confirm this one, but I am under the impression that Oz uses the same red/amber/green traffic light arrangement as the US does. And while green is indeed a mix of the primaries yellow and blue, the camera will still record the light as green.

Your image "corrected" image shifted the green light to blue, which shows it was overcorrected.

It's colour is in the middle of the white band for comparison.
                                -In other words you're trying to convince me that the photographer (or editor) altered the photo, despite the fact that at least one other Aussie has taken two virtually identical photos in tone and color, and further trying to convince me that the photos I, myself, took under somewhat similar circumstances, are somehow wrong.

Like John noted, when I've seen it myself, and two people in Australia tell me it's so, I tend to find that somewhat easier to believe than someone sitting on the opposite corner of the globe, denying it just because he doesn't think it looks 'real'.

You want to convince me it's been altered? Fine- show me the unmodified original. Anything else is supposition on your part.

Doc, is that a true Stud in your first photo, or one of the ones made after the company turned turtle?
                                -That is indeed an authentic, mostly-stock 1962 Studebaker R2 Supercharged 289 4-speed Avanti. It is scheduled to spend the winter in the shop (and, knowing my schedules, most of next year, too) getting a full workover. We're rebuilding the engine, swapping to a new upgraded front suspension with better discs and brakes, stainless exhaust, all new wiring, and I'm hoping to build another port-injection aluminum EFI intake for it. The old Carter is gettin' a bit tired these days.

Doc.

Comment

Working...
                                X