X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gavin
    • Jul 2008

The dust was blown in from the west.
    I'm in South Australia, when you've finished with our dust over there can we please have it back!

Comment

• NiftyNev
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Gavin
      I'm in South Australia, when you've finished with our dust over there can we please have it back!
      Yes, all 3.8 to 4 million tonnes of it. How do you want it delivered?

Nev
      Nev.

Comment

• lazlo
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by miker
        http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Oldtiffe got rattled by an Earth Tremmor.
        "Mick told ABC Online: "In Sydney's south-western suburbs I've just woken up to a glowing red window! Thought it was Armageddon! Either that or South Korea [sic] had nuked us!"

Dang it -- Samsung's hitting the nukes again!
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• andy_b
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Arcane
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3ExHB133k

She Ain’t Pretty by the Northern Pikes.
          Best line in it was "She ain't pretty she just looks that way"!
          i think i'm going to order that album. thanks for posting.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

• Evan
            • May 2003

If I read that correctly, the gist of it can be summarised in the direct answer to hwingo's direct question as: "I don't know".

If that is the case - say so - directly - as required by hwingo.

If it is not the case - say so - again - directly - as required by hwingo.
            Hwingo isn't in a position to require anything, nor are you. I have said what I will about the images since they aren't amenable to further analysis. Both have been processed, neither is original and because the dynamic range has been severely limited on that account that is all I will tell you. In comparison, the original image that I have been discussing has over 101 thousand different colours which allows for a determination of what has been done.
            The two images that Hwingo posted are essentially interchangeable. One can be made into the other in a few seconds. Because of that the question as to which has been altered isn't a valid question. They have both been altered.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------
            -Funny how in virtually every other photo of a traffic light out there, including in about 300 I personally took at night during a local bridge reconstruction (wherein I played heavily with everything from my white balance to various JPG compressions) there's not even the slightest hint of a blue halo to the green light.
            Cameras aren't very good at picking it up most of the time. The image in question is way oversaturated which makes it obvious. The colour gamut of the eye is much larger than the colour gamut of the camera and the gamut of the camera is larger than the gamut of the monitor. Under normal circumstances your monitor will not be able to render the difference.

If you aren't familiar with the concepts of colour space, gamuts and the differences between various methods of representing colours and their inherent limitations then you have a lot of studying to do. It isn't something you can Google up in a few minutes.

But hey, what do I know. I've only been a semiserious amateur photographer for some twenty to twenty-five years now. Maybe after I take a couple of photocopier-repair classes I'll be able to diagnose digital camera exposure errors from half a world away.
            It isn't half a world away. It's right here in front of me. Isn't the internet wonderful?

I take it then that you don't know the difference between the colour of 507 nanometre (traffic light green) and 560 nanometre? As a semiserious amateur photographer you should.

Green response
            Referring to the photopic response curve of the unaided human eye is shown to have 100% sensitivity at a wavelength of 560 nm (+/- about 5 nm) which is recognized in the color art to be pure green, Thus, the human eye perceives the spectral color green better than it perceives other color.
            Referring to spectral curves of grass are shown to have a common 100%R peak at about 556 nm, with the curves having increasing differentiation extending in opposite directions of 556 nm. At 556 nm, the eye is perceiving 100% reflectance of pure green when viewing grass. This coupled with the fact that the eye is highly sensitive to the color green, means that the eye is being overwhelmed with the color green, making it very difficult to perceive the subtle differences in the shades of green on either side of 556 nm.
            Perhaps you have a touch of red/green colour blindness? I do, but only in one eye.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• andy_b
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hwingo
              The question remains and I repeat, "Which one is real Evan and which one did I spend less than 2 minutes changing the color?"

i say the top one is real. streams aren't as blue as in the second one, and the rocks appear too white. i'm no photographic colour expert, but i have spent a good deal of time around streams and rocks.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

• lazlo
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by andy_b
                i'm no photographic colour expert, but i have spent a good deal of time around streams and rocks.
                LOL!
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• keelan
                  • Nov 2008

I have to agree with Evan. I don't think he's arguing that the sky isn't orange. Anyone that has experienced a forest fire will know that this happens, and given Evan's locale, I'm sure he has experienced this himself. He's arguing that the whole photo has been tweaked to be more orange than it really is. There wouldn't be enough dust between the camera and the car's headlight to give the headlight an orange cast.

The area I live in has had a couple nasty interface fires in the last few years. During the day, the sky would be orange, and everything would have an eerie orange cast as described by numerous posters. At night the only evidence of fire was limited visibility of stars and an orange moon. My car did not suddenly start to emit orange light from the headlights.

Comment

• torker
                    • Dec 2003

Maybe I'm making this too simple...
                    I used to fight fires... for quite a few years actually...usually as a dangerous snag faller.
                    The smoke almost ALWAYS went up...
                    This is reddish orange dust...that is settling back down to earth.
                    So...I can see where headlights could cast an orange glow.
                    Just a dumb hillbilly perspective...
                    Russ
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

• Weston Bye
                      Contributing Editor
                      • Jun 2002

Never been on Mars or any any place that looked like the photos here, (doctored or undoctored, who cares?) but I recall a brassy sky at high noon with a just perceptibly darker band here in Michigan from West to East for some time after Mt. St. Helens exploded. Interesting sunsets, too.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

Neither of the images is original. They have both been altered in the same way with the only difference being a slight colour shift.

You can see the evidence in this image. I ran up the gamma on both the same amount and it reveals large areas where the dynamic range has been completely lost at the bottom and the top. That doesn't happen in the camera like this.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Metalmelter
                          • Feb 2008

Now that's orange... lol

Well at least it's making some interesting headlines.....

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

• Doc Nickel
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Evan
                            The image in question is way oversaturated which makes it obvious.
                            -Yup. Just like the 200+ photos now documenting it, like the five-minute CNN video, and most damning of all, the dozens of Aussie eyewitnesses are claiming.

When come back, bring proof, not speculation and supposition.

Doc.
                            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• John Stevenson
                              • Mar 2001

Don't bother Doc' he's dug himself into a hole aggain [ - best Forrest Gump voice ] and is now digging even harder.

You never know if he goes deep enough he may come across some red dust

We ought to call him "Fixed Wheel Evan" because he can't back pedal

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• oldtiffie
                                • Nov 1999

Real(ity?) check

Originally Posted by hwingo
                                The question remains and I repeat, "Which one is real Evan and which one did I spend less than 2 minutes changing the color?"
                                Neither of the images is original. They have both been altered in the same way with the only difference being a slight colour shift.

You can see the evidence in this image. I ran up the gamma on both the same amount and it reveals large areas where the dynamic range has been completely lost at the bottom and the top. That doesn't happen in the camera like this.

Neither of the images is original.
                                Well Evan.

That final quote - to put it in its best light - as it were - is, or seems to say, that hwingo is mistaken or lying as he says that one is edited and one not where-as you say that both were and are edited to some degree.

It seems to infer, too, that hwingo is - also at best - being more than a little bit disingenuous and perhaps that he is a liar or a fool.

I very much doubt that he is in either or any of those categories.

Now, assuming that hwingo is neither a liar nor a fool, and that one image has been edited and the other not, do you or do you not know which one is unedited and which one was edited?

Originally Posted by hwingo
                                It is a simple straight-forward question which only requires to be answered by your saying:

a.
                                which one is real (not edited) and (even by inference) which one he edited; or

b.
                                that you don't know.

There should be no need for any blustering or reason/s not to address the issue/s in hwingo's question.

You either know or you don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X