Acme thread adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acme thread adapter?

Has anyone ever seen adapters for sale to go from Acme to NC threads? I have a slide hammer shaft with 5/8-12 Acme threads that I'd like to connect to an axle seal puller jig that has a 1/2-13 female socket. I suppose I could just use a piece of 1/2 inch all-thread as an alternative shaft if I can't find an adapter.

Thanks

thread adaptor

Maybe, just maybe, look into one of those screw jacks that come with some cars. And also a destroyed metal vise as those threads are close to what you want. Wayne.

Comment

The quickest to mind would be a grade 8 capscrew welded to an Acme nut.

Hth Ag

Comment

Originally posted by agrip
        The quickest to mind would be a grade 8 capscrew welded to an Acme nut.

Hth Ag

most people say you "can't" weld a grade 8 bolt to something and expect it to stay together.

as long as you TIG it, it's possible. i've done it several times, including replacing the stripped out threaded end of my milling machine's drawbar with a hacked off piece of a grade 8 bolt. it's held together for several years now without any signs of imminent failure.

while that'd probably work for a while in this case, i doubt that'd hold up to the repeated cyclic tensile loading of a connecting piece in a slide hammer...
        -paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_NJ
          Has anyone ever seen adapters for sale to go from Acme to NC threads? I have a slide hammer shaft with 5/8-12 Acme threads that I'd like to connect to an axle seal puller jig that has a 1/2-13 female socket. I suppose I could just use a piece of 1/2 inch all-thread as an alternative shaft if I can't find an adapter.

Thanks
          How about a 5/8-12 acme coupling nut and a 12" length of threaded rod from Keystone Threaded Products. Cut a short piece of the rod, turn the end down, and thread it 1/2-13. Screw the stub half way into the coupling nut and set it with Locktite. Voila! An acme -NC adapter for your tool box. Duffy
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Working...
          X