2 56 Tap guide not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 56 Tap guide not working

I have to tap a few 2 56 holes. I bought a tapping guide from MSC for 30 bucks. It is designed for slightly larger taps, but the thing is way, way out of concentricity when the collet is tightened. This is maybe a Chinese copy of a Tiawanese copy of a Japanese copy of an American tool?

Is there a different tool, or the same tool made by someone else that would work?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Hollowbuilt.....I bought one too!.....it was a while ago......when i first tried
    to use it the blue handle came apart from the body.....I threw it in the back of my tool box and will fix it later.....I should have just returned it....(pos)....
    Dean
    www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

I bought one also, returned the first one for the same reason. ended up making a new nut for the second one so it would tighten down on small taps.

Comment

I have one of these and it works very well.
        http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...e=SiteChampion
        "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by smiller6912
          I have one of these and it works very well.
          http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...e=SiteChampion
          That's the import knockoff of the Fisher machine Shop tap guide. I'm not going to comment on that aspect of things but if you want one like that made in the USA you can get it directly from Fisher (they also make the real PeeDee thread wires, invented the audible edge finder, etc)
          http://www.fishermachine.com/index.p...products&cat=6

(disclaimer: I sell these on my website but the link is to Fisher's site and the price is the same.)
          Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Carter]That's the import knockoff of the Fisher machine Shop tap guide. I'm not going to comment on that aspect of things but if you want one like that made in the USA you can get it directly from Fisher (they also make the real PeeDee thread wires, invented the audible edge finder, etc)
            http://www.fishermachine.com/index.p...products&cat=6

That does not appear to be like the tool that is in the posters photo. If I am not mistaken it is this:
            http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=71272876

I have had better luck tapping 2-56 holes using a simple piece of 2" round stock with a hole that is the size of the tap that guides the tap. I have a better feel for what I am doing that way.

Comment

So what else can I use?

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the effort. I bought a micro tapping guide as well, but really can't see how it would help. How does this gizmo work? I turned it around, and it would not index the flats of a tap. How do shops tap with 2 56 taps? And I am going to return the blue tool.
              Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

Shows normal use. You use it in conjunction with a tap wrench or on taps that have a center hole at the end.

It has a concave tip as well (disassemble and flip the spring loaded center) for tiny taps that have a ground taper on the back end.

Sidneyt, I was referring the the 2nd tool from wttool.com that smiller6912 linked to.
                Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

I made my own tapping guide from a small jacobs chuck with a straight 1/2" shank. I attached a 3" dia knurled disk to the shank next to the chuck to aid in turning the tap. Then I turned a guide from a length of 1" diameter Al rod. Drilled the center to 1/2" to fit the shank, and necked down one end to 3/4" to mount in the mill or lathe.

I just tapped a lot of 2-56 holes. The weight of the chuck makes starting the tap a breeze.

Comment

I also made my own from a standard tapping tool:

I had first purchased a commercial tool, shown on the left. The fit was poor and the length of the extension was too short to be of use.

Mine is shown on the right. I tapped the back end of a standard, good quality tap holder, threading it 1/4-20 to accept a 1/4" extension shaft (about 2 3/8" length). I threaded the 1/4" CRS shaft 1/4-20 x 1/2" long and used a lock nut hold it in place and also to keep it aligned with the axis of the tool. You may have to purchase a good quality nut or hand select one for best alignment. I then took some 1/2" CRS rod and center drilled it 1/4" in the lathe. I made the one shown which is about 2" long and I made another one that is about 5" for longer working distance when I need it (handy in the lathe tailstock).

The combination of the longer guide and guide hole and a better fit than the commercial one gives much better guidance. The longer length allows you to finish tapping the work without running out of guidance. It doesn't have a spring, but you really don't need that because once the tap starts cutting it is self feeding.

I have used it in both the drill press and the lathe tailstock with good success. And yes, it does work well with small taps like 2-56 or even smaller. As a future project, I need to make a larger one for bigger taps.
                    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                    X