Your longest tool. Rated G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your longest tool. Rated G

So, what tool do you have that is longer than most similar tools?

Show or describe. Remember, this is rated G.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-21-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Beautiful looking screwdrivers. They remind me of the tools (usually hand made) used by the adjusters and mechanics who maintained and adjusted envelope folding machines.

Gawd! that was 60 years ago.
    O

Comment

I have a 24" crescent wrench that I bought new for $1 per inch. I actually bought it specifically to do the axle nuts (something like 55mm) on my four-wheeler, but over the years it's come in very handy as a lever: choke up the jaws on a car frame horn and bend it back into place. Leaf springs won't line up? Use the big crescent to twist it a tad so the holes align. Need to bend some 1/2" by 1" aluminum bar stock? Put one end in the Wilton vice, grab the other with the crescent and be careful because with the leverage, it's all too easy to go too far.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I have two very large woodturning tools one is a roughing gouge about three inches across complete with handle it is about four feet long and another which is a bowl gouge not so fat but about the same length with handle.They cost me a lot around آ£85.00 each without handles which I made myself when I bought them about two years ago, but I figure on being around a while so feel I deserve them. Needless to say they dwarf all of my other woodturning tools, but they are good quality and when roughing down a large chunk of wood they can save hours of tiresome cutting.Alistair P S the new shop extension is taking great shape hope when it's finished to post some pics
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Alistair,

A four foot long gouge? That should give very good control. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of the shop.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

41 inch long 1 1/2 diameter drill bit. Used it for a job we had in the school shop deburring the inside of propane burner "thigies" that are used in Infrared road repair machines. Cut the tubes with a band saw each 1/2 inch, leaves a burr inside. Ground the bit to have a special extreme positive point rake on the edge (had to work the flute off for about 1 inch to do this, took a lot of tool grinding know how) Did about 200 of these, the whole job just was hell, but the drill idea worked. the job was 37 inches long, the drill 41 to hold and clear.

Still keep this around. The shop paid dearly for the job, so I thought, but during the "break" we took for the summer, found they paid triple for a special deburring process at another shop. We have another 200 at about $30.00 ea. coming in this next week.

My other longest tool is a 40 foot snow rake (5 pieces of 8 foot) I made out of 7075 aluminum tube with a 36 inch blade ( and holding aparatus, thus the extra foot to make up for the mating areas) and "squeege" rubber wiper on it to prevent busting up the shingles - as the full aluminum rakes are known to do on occassion. Takes but one person - me - to use it, but I sure am sore and tired after doing the roof. Next time, if I ever bust this thing from hell (which crosses my mind every storm), I get the metal roof, but alas, the wife hates the way they look - so I am resigned to abusing my body every storm here in beautiful and freaking snowy New Hampshire.

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 09-21-2003).]
            CCBW, MAH

Comment

Spope "a forty foot snow rake" surely that's cheating not exactly a tool.OKay well I suppose it! is I cant beat that Oh well back to the drawing board Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

18" Needle nose pliers. 24" Channel locks. Used to have a 1-1/2" impact (2400 ft.lbs.)wrench. I used to have a solid carbide drill that was .oo1" diameter - until I dropped it on the bench - now I have a pointy carbide dowel. 100' fish tape - wish it was fibreglass instead of steel. Used to have a 60" Ridgid steel pipe wrench (NOW they have Aluminum wrenches, the Bastards) - imagine carring that up a 100' treater ladder! It was neat to show off with my rare 5" Ridgid pipe wrench - extremes of contrast. Have a 15lb.
                "tack hammer", 20Lb. Bronze hammer, 5oz. finishing (Claw) hammer, and a 25oz. Japanese framing hammer that can drive a 6" spike 5" in one blow (it holds the spike with a rare earth magnet) - the 5oz. take much longer to do that!

Have a Hakko 470 Static Safe Desoldering station for reworking boards - cost as much as a good 400A TIG at the time. Best money I ever spent.

Comment

Guess the snow rake is a bit of a cheat when it comes to tool box tools. I hate the thing anyway, but use it for necessity. I have a 3 1/2 inch open end wrench, handle length 20 inches. Found it in the bottom of an old elevator shaft of a building being demolished. hung it on the classroom wall.
                  CCBW, MAH

Comment

I have an open end wrench,4&1/4" x 4&5/8",45" oal.I don't know how much it weighs(a lot),but it's nice to have a pair of hand trucks to take it too whatever you're working on!And I really did use it on a job on a front end loader I had.
                    I had a momentary lapse of reason recently on eBay and bought a set of Brown and Sharp 50" vernier calipers.I don't know what I'll need them for but I've got them for when I do need them!After seeing how much a new set costs,I felt a little better about what I spent!
                    Robert.

Comment

Evan --

Well, I used to have a 100 yard engineer's chain (steel tape version, not the old type made of individual links).

Today I have two longest tools, a Starrett 1200 inch steel tape and a Lufkin 100 foot steel tape.

John

Comment

spope14, if that was a 3-5/8 open end wrench I'd buy it off you. I am looking for that size and about 24" overall length.

The wrenches I use daily are 1-5/8, 2, and 3-5/8". It helps to keep me in shape especially when I use the bigger wrenches overhead.
                        When I pick up a 1" wrench it seems like a little ignition wrench.

Les

Comment

well.. Ohh yeah, a "G" rating..

I carry a 4 inch cresent wrench everywhere I go. Once (78?) on the side of the road going into Memphis I used my small buck knife and a beer tab to set the points that had closed up after dark.

I guess I am secure enough in my manhood to carry "small" tools.. ha ha.. I get ribbed a lot.

Comment

I used to keep a 4" Cresent on a chain with a plug gauge in the tool box on my '73 Yamaha Enduro and it came in handy many a time!
                            Robert.

Comment

6 FOOT by 3" diameter boring bar for a lathe. 6" ID rethreading die with the 3/4" drive socket. My brother got it out of the trash where he use to work.
                              Never used, so of course throw it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X