Programmable Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programmable Magnets

Saw this in the local paper today. I'd not heard of anything like it before.
    Sounds like something that might have far reaching potential.

http://www.huntsvillenewswire.com/?q=node/1492

Applications for this would be huge.

The first thing that came to mind is I was watching something on trawling for shrimp. They have a mechanism to reduce by-catch, but, it is a mechanical door. It is better than the old way, but, not perfect. Something like this would probably allow them to get to 99.99% reduction in by-catch, which is a good thing.

This invention will make many things possible that were only dreams until now.

Comment

Intresting, though I might point out that I find it mentioning lack of avilability of magnetic materials to be shocking.
      "Rare earth" metals are *NOT* rare, they where just very hard to refine from eachother when first discovered. Nowdays rare earth metals are rather common. Or at least those they use for magnets.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have been meaning to make some compact dial indicator holders with those rare earth magnets. Indicator holders are always rather bulky, and one with a small mag base would be sweet for test indicators.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer
          I have been meaning to make some compact dial indicator holders with those rare earth magnets. Indicator holders are always rather bulky, and one with a small mag base would be sweet for test indicators.

-Doozer
          Junk out an old hard drive, the magnets in there make perfect mag bases. Just don't try to drill and tap the magnet itself...they don't like that.

Comment

Hmmm.

“I initially programmed a pair of correlated magnets to produce a peak attractive force at one alignment and one alignment only. What this means in practical terms is that two very strong magnets will lock together in one particular alignment, but then can be easily released by twisting the patterns away from the correlated position”, says Fullerton.
            That describes what happens with any pair of bar magnets placed together.

For example, a coded magnet strong enough to lift a large metal cargo container won’t attract metal until it is within inches of its intended target.
            That describes a type of Halbach array. A Halbach array is trivial to make, anybody can do it. It produces an extended magnetic field on one side of the array only. On the other side the field is nulled out. This is how to make a Halbach array. The pattern may be repeated indefinitely.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
            X