OT migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT migraines

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this- My roomate has intermittent migraine-like headaches. It will come on suddenly and be intense, with some dizziness, etc, then it will dissipate. Today she had an episode that lasted about a minute or two. This has happened several times now. She's 21 and without any real health problems, at least that I know about or can be seen.

I have my own little episodes with sharply defined, very bright, often lightning bolt looking spikies in my eyes. Usually just one eye, but sometimes both, and usually very strong only in one eye. It can last up to an hour or so, but usually not more than maybe ten minutes. On average, I'd say this happens about once a year, and there doesn't seem to be any lasting effects from it.

Not too concerned for myself, but for her at such a young age, I'm hoping this isn't too serious. Any ideas?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I had that problem too, with visual spikes or fluttering lights lasting for a few minutes. I have not had an episode for several years. My ophthalmologist ruled out an eye problem, and thought it was amaurosis fugax, stemming from a blockage of the carotid artery. But a scan of the artery showed this was not serious.
    Last edited by aostling; 10-11-2009, 01:52 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Comment

She needs to go see a doctor. This isnt stuff to mess around with in a HSM forum.

Comment

Migraines are not completely well understood and some people suffer from chronic migraines for their entire life.

BUT, as Macona says, SHE SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR! Let the professionals (yeah yeah, I know ...) rule out something serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
          Migraines are not completely well understood and some people suffer from chronic migraines for their entire life.

BUT, as Macona says, SHE SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR! Let the professionals (yeah yeah, I know ...) rule out something serious.
          I really feel for your freind!
          I'm one of those unfortunate ones that have suffered my entire life from them. I do not use "suffer" lightly. I spent 8 weeks in the hospital for burns, and three for a serious motorcycle accident (I was actually sent to the morgue, my mom has my toe tag which used to be an interesting conversation peice!) and I would gladly trade that for some of the migraines I've had

Have her (and you) keep a log of of what she eats and what she smells. And try different things to relieve it.

Once she finds something that works, (asprin, motrin, aleve or ????) take it at the first indication without hesitation.

You always get an indication that one is on the way (lightning bols, blurr etc) take whatever experience has shown to work as soon as you notice it.

Since you mention they only last a couple hours, check for allergies. If mine only lasted a couple hours I'd be jumping for joy!

For me the only thing that works is motrin, and it's effect depends entirely on how soon I take it after I notce the initial 'blurr' in my vision. I can take asprin, tylonol, codein, aleve, and many other, including prescription only drugs with no effect at all (when I tried liquid 'cures', a pint and a half of absolute ran off and hid in the corner)
          Ken

Comment

First you'r gonna wanna clamp it down nicely, id recommend a good 6" kurt vise. Next mill about 20mils off her anteriour cortex, that usally does the trick.
            Don't forget to clamp down tight they often squirm while you mill.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
              I have my own little episodes with sharply defined, very bright, often lightning bolt looking spikies in my eyes. Usually just one eye, but sometimes both, and usually very strong only in one eye. It can last up to an hour or so, but usually not more than maybe ten minutes. On average, I'd say this happens about once a year, and there doesn't seem to be any lasting effects from it.
              Can't give any advice for your friend, as others said she should see a Doctor.

As for your lightning bolt spikies, I developed something very similar about 5 years ago. The best way I could describe it was that a bright wiggly worm, with a skin printed as a bar code, was moving across a cracked mirror. Odd description, but that's exactly how it appeared in my vision. Like you, mine could last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, maybe once a year at first, but it happens several times a year now.
              You can still see, but it is VERY disorientating.

After a series of quite simple tests it was diagnosed as Posterior Vitreous Seperation (sometimes Detachment, but not in my case).
              There is no real cure for this, and sometimes it goes away, sometimes it won't. However, be very aware that if you suddenly start seeing a sort of black curtain falling across your vision see the Doctor immediately, as the condition could be progressing to a detached retina.

Peter

Comment

I don't get migranes myself, but I seem to remember that there was a "therapy" found a few years back. It involved sitting under an old fashioned hair dryer for a while. Seems that the heat helped to relieve the condition.

Don't know if this is folklore or not. Hope it works for somebody.
                all the best....John

Comment

Originally posted by kendall

Have her (and you) keep a log of of what she eats and what she smells. And try different things to relieve it.
                  i agree with this statement. there are certain things i eat that will give me a migraine for a short time. i used to think it was MSG, but now i am not so sure. i haven't had one in a long time though, but then again i know the ingredients in most of what i eat now (or eat things that i have been eating for years with no problems).

i'd also say that if they become more frequent or worsen she should see a doctor.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

The flaw here seems to be that almost everyone is assuming this to be a Migraine , maybe it is but maybe it isn't! It could just as easily be anything from run-away high blood pressure to a brain tumor and this is nothing to mess around with-SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!! If it is blood pressure related your friend could be only a step away from a stroke which could be easily prevented with medication. Letting this go could lead to a fatal undiagnosed stroke or aneurysm, it is probably nothing this serious but don't bet her life on it!

Comment

I have experienced the condition Peter Neill described, the PVD. Annoying, but it cleared up. Still important enough to merit a visit to the opthamologist.

Another flashing lights phenomonon is the optic migrain. In my case, it starts as a sparkling flashing spot just off center of the middle of the field of vision and grows to obstruct or appear as a crescent in half the field of view in both eyes, and is apparent with eyes opened or closed. In some people it may accompany a headache, but I only have the visual symptoms. The "fit" lasts 30-45 minutes. Again, annoying but not serious, except when driving.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Migraine doubtful, they last far longer. More like a "cluster headache", but that's short even for them.

Advice here is worthless or worse than worthless, get it checked out.

Unfortunately, these are the sort of things that are apt to be dismissed by doctors who have "more serious" things to think about.

I had a lot of headaches for a while, all much longer duration, and I found that as a rule, the doctor was not interested unless when you got one you fell down, passed out, couldn't smell/taste, or other more "interesting" symptoms occurred. Best advice is to have the details ready when discussing with doctor.

I found that certain cheeses, certain red wines, and some other items were good for one. I've managed to mostly avoid them since.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

I am 48 and was about 21 when I got my first migraine. I'll never forget it. I thought, holy crap I'm going blind!...I've been poisoned etc . Had to call my wife (girl friend at that time) to come and get me from work.

I was just working away when my field of vision went haywire. Flashing lighting bolt type shapes and a sort of tunnel vision. Really bizarre.
                          That lasted around 20 mins and then wham!, an intense headache followed for several hours.
                          Saw my doc and had a whole bunch of tests done.
                          It was determined I was having "classic" migraines.
                          For many years I would get them 4-5 times a year and it scared the crap out of me as they came without warning and if I was in the wrong place at the time, the vision disturbance could really be a problem.
                          As I got older I no longer feared them. I just wait them out and understand it's not really dangerous.
                          I have determined a major cause of them (for me) , cooking onions! Sweet white onions are not a problem, but strong yellow onions cause them with about a 75% regularity.
                          I now get them maybe at most 1 time a year.

I agree 100%. do not diagnose this yourself. One must see a doctor with these symptoms to rule out a more serious condition.
                          Steve

Comment

there are certain things i eat that will give me a migraine for a short time.
                            That is a well known phenomena. The most common cause is the amino acid reduction product tyramine which derives from tyrosine. Certain foods are especially high in tyrosine which turns into tyramine when aged.

Any leftover more than 48 hours old
                            Anything aged, dried, fermented, salted, smoked or pickled especially pepperoni, salami and liverwurst.
                            Aged cheese.
                            Fava or broad beans, sauerkraut, pickles, olives. Any fermented soy products
                            All nuts.
                            All alcoholic and fermented beverages especially red wine
                            MSG
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                            X