No announcement yet.

Way, way off topic: Counting Crows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around here those are called "blackbirds", tho I've wondered if they're the same as grackles.
    What we call starlings have a shorter tail, and also not quite so dark and shiny, more of a real dark grayish black color.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

David Suzuki

Just had a Show on Crows? I guess he is running out of stuff to bitch about???

Comment

When a crow caws three times is calling out an alarm. Gary P. Hansen
        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

in the movie "The Birds", how did they get all of the crows to stay on the fence and playground equipment in the scene with the kids trapped in the school? the birds all appeared to be real, and it didn't look like the film was a bunch of weird splices or multiple exposures. when the remake is made (which i'm sure it will be soon because Hollywood has no new ideas anymore) the scene will probably be all CGI, but as far as i know Hitchcock didn't have access to such equipment in 1963.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Taxidermy is my guess.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

i was thinking that, but it looked like the majority of the birds were moving. i guess it would have been possible to provide some limited animatronics back then. i'll have to look closer the next time i watch it.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Not necessarily animatronics, there are easier ways to do it. Most probably a bunch of guys in a ditch pulling the strings on the dead crow dummies.

One thing I discovered from my short stint as an extra in a major picture is that nothing, and I mean nothing, is real. Even when it would be easier to use the real thing they don't. They make models and props for everything because it gives them total control. Even the dirt on my costume was carefully applied by the dirt makeup lady on a set consisting entirely of riverside dirt. This is so ingrained that on one day as I was leaving I got yelled at to get back to makeup to have my beard removed. I yelled back that I wouldn't because I own it. The person came over to actually check.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have two dogs, one is a 11 year old Aussie and the other one is a 5 year old blue healer . The old dog is a slow eater and the young dog can't get enough food down its throat fast enough , and then is looking at the other bowl and trying to get that food also.
                  Well the young dog figured out that if she runs over to the fence and starts barking at the imaginary mail carrier the old dog will come over to help in the barking, at that point the young dog will run back to the bowls and finish the old dog's food. The young dog wont try it if I am watching but as soon as I walk out of sight she will run to the fence and start barking. You should see the look on her face when she comes back and finds that I have rescued the old dogs food from her pillage.
                  For now at least .I am still smarter than the 5 year old.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X