Wow what do you make of this beauty MARK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow what do you make of this beauty MARK

Well mark this is a beauty out of the price range of your members so it is safe to show here what do you think?Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Brown-St...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
    Well mark this is a beauty out of the price range of your members so it is safe to show here what do you think?Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Brown-St...d=p3286.c0.m14
    There are plenty of people out here who could afford 7 grand for something they wanted. Why the deliberate antagonisation buddy?
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Nice looking machine but it's "over there" and I don't have the room for it or $11,828.00 Canadian dollars to spend on a lathe anyhow.
      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

i dont know much about ..not even if it was actually made by smart and brown anmd rebadged
        The 400
        This was Smart and Browns most powerful Lathe it was built to celebrate 40 years, it was reported to take a 1" cut on dia without even a flicker from the amp meter.
        The name 400 is in relation to the swing over the Bed (400mm)
        It's power unit was a D.C SHUNT wound with thyristor, it's frame was a D160 foot mounted with Force vent cooling side mounted fan, giving with the controller a speed range of 50 to 4,700rpm at 50Hz Field weakening to give 10.7 Kw (14.3 hp) at 1000 rpm.
        The 1000mm between centres model weighed in at 2.7 tons, the 1500mm at 2.9 tons

The last 400 to be built leaves the factory

Comment

There are plenty no antagonisation warranted or received from Mark just you Buddy , but this is not the kind of lathe or price bracket marks club want thats just what I am saying BUDDY just a fact Alistair
          Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

its not my club it's everyones

all the best.markj

Comment

Well said Mark I was just pointing out you made a great effort to start it and run it so you are the creator ,albeit everyone can join if they are found to be suitable.I sincerely did not mean to offend you Mark or anyone and I think you and they know that.Alistair

Comment

There are plenty no antagonisation warranted or received from Mark just you Buddy , but this is not the kind of lathe or price bracket marks club want thats just what I am saying BUDDY just a fact Alistair
                You do antagonise him. Whatever, I read the above a few times and it still doesn't make sense.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Your just looking for trouble Peter and I aint biting .I am happy, mark is happy ,why are you not? Alistair

Comment

Well said Mark I was just pointing out you made a great effort to start it and run it so you are the creator ,albeit everyone can join if they are found to be suitable.I sincerely did not mean to offend you Mark or anyone and I think you and they know that.Alistair
                    well i cant find your name on the member list Alistair ..

and i haven't chucked you out ..
                    i know you were once a member .

if you're not a member now ...its not my doing .

and Ive never stopped anyone joining ..or banned anyone in this group ..

its probably the least troublesome group i run .

the only group i have to work at with moderation is the pantograph group .

there are some guys there who seem to think they can post adds there for pantos or parts every other day ..

i don't mind one or two a week, if there is plenty of other activity there .

if there is no activity ..then i make them wait for activity before they post adds .

that's about all i do ..

i have each post by new member moderated ..so they have to post something about smart and brown before they are taken off moderation ..so no spam problems .

all the best.markj

Comment

You're mistaken. When have I ever had a dig at you? You're opening post looked like another pop at him since you put his name in CAPITALS, like you were trying to provoke. I don't care what you do just asked why you do it.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Mark I thought it said first time member will be vetted. It used to, thats the only point I was making.I think it's a great site but I was initially a moniter on the site but found the constant emails too much that's all.So very well done you do a great job, and I know it's very popular it still bears my lathe on the front so it must be good.I am not being unfriendly as we have known each other for along time.Alistair

Comment

it never said first time member will be vetted ..
                          it said "first post by new members is moderated" ...and always has done.

and on the joining page you have the option not to receive any messages ..

once joined you still have the option not to receive any messages ..just by clicking on the button "edit membership" on the top of the page .

all the best.markj

Comment

The main thing did you like the lathe I posted about?Alistair

Comment

So is this a UK pissing contest thread or is it to discuss a pretty decent machine from the looks of it?

If I were spending that kind of coin on a used lathe, I would want a higher end DRO than that crappy entry level newall.

14hp on a manual machine that small seems kinda silly, but it would be fun to run. 1" DOC? What tooling would you use to even come up with that? The ways also don't look wide enough to support such force, but then again the pictures suck.

I spent 8K on my lathe (used) after DRO. 11 wouldn't have been that much of a stretch - but I also make money with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X