Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Purchase

Good Morning All,
    I think - I'm about to make my first purchase from Speedy Metals.
    Before I do, I thought it may be a good idea so see how others made out.
    How was your experience (good or bad) ??
    Rich

I have always gotten great service from them personally.

Comment

I have ordered from them several times with very good service.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

They're great, never a problem.

Comment

Good selection - boy you pay a premium there. Just bought some 11 gauge 2" tube on Wednesday. 12' was 1.51/ft. Looks like 4.15/ft at Speedy.

Bought 24' 14 ga 2" tube, 24' 1" 14 ga tube, 12' 11 ga tube - was right at $50.
          Chris
          Merkel, Tx
          http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Yep - I use local metal suppliers as well and I shop prices.

I'm not affraid to call up, establish a relationship with some one in sales, request quotes on materials and cuts, ask for different solutions for my needs, what ever reduces my material cost.

It's a much better price - and for $25 they will deliver

I also on occasion drop in to paruse the cut off bins and stock up on various exotic metals to have around the shop - never know when I'll need a bit of 4150

Comment

I have ordered from them 5 or 6 times and always had good service. They ship fast, package well, and have one of the best selections online that I have found. Yeah, they cost a bit more, but good service and availability are worth the extra IMHO.

Comment

I bought some tubing from them to make bushings. About 1 1/2 id and 1 3/4 od. The od was about .002 oversize for a ready made press fit. The id was about .005 over so I still had a little clearance after pressing the bushings in. That saved me having to re-bore them after pressing them in.

I ordered them in the afternoon and had them the next day at 10am.

There are probably are cheaper places to buy steel but they sure made it easy for me.

Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Hey mancini,

I have purchased twice from Speedy Metals in Grand Prairie, Tx. The first time I bought 2' of 1-1/2" DOM tubing with a .219" wall and 2' of stressproof TG&P to use for a test bar. Total bill was about $50.00. Walked in, staff was pleasant and helpful. They cut the steel and I was out of there in less than 20 min. The second purchase was a 3' piece of the DOM tubing that I asked my wife to pick up while she was in the Dallas area last week.

They are a little pricey, but pleasant to deal with and happy to sell in small quantities. Price $26.00.

Speedy Metals: A++

Tim

Comment

What of 20' lenths of 2" DOM - is that going to fit on the UPS truck ?

Mancini - I would certainly think it prudent to call aroud to 3 or 4 local suppliers and gather some pricing information and find out who will give you the best price and service. From what I see on Speedy Metals online catalog they are 125% MORE then what I am paying at the local supplier. Sure you can order online while sitting in your underware but you are paying up the Whazoo for the metals. AND then you have to pay for shipping !!!!

These are the folks in my area that recieve the bulk of my purchases - http://www.abcsupply.net/metals.nxg

All businesses have a pricing scheme wether you are aware of it or not. Some have columns (and you don't want the right hand column) others have "Short Quantities" and will gladly tell you how much you need to buy before you get the lefthand column prices. Others have Minimum Cut Lengths and charge "Per Cut" and the lenths can be excessive or the "Cut Fee" over priced. Some just charge a % over cost and don't play games but rather concentrate on providing the best service.

In essence - they usually have a way to "Get you" and only by shopping the prices and services will you ever be aware that they do this. What you want to find is the salesman/supplier who wants you business and is willing to earn it.

Being in the Seattle area you have an abundance of really good suppliers in your area,(ran jobs up there). Try giving a couple of them a call and compare prices - I'm sure you will be pleseantly surprised by what they have to offer
                    Last edited by JoeFin; 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Good service. I have found it cheaper to call rather then order
                      over their web site.

Ed P

Comment

I've bought from Speedy as well, both over their website and through eBay. Absolutely top notch service. It is a good idea to shop around a bunch though. I was buying some brass last night and there was a range between suppliers of about $37 to $81 for 3/4" brass round in a 6 foot length. I went for the $37 one of course, knowing full well the company (Industrial Metal Sales) were going to get me on the shipping. $22 for shipping. It was still cheaper than there nearest competitor though. I threw a rod of 3/8" in too to average it out.
                        Stuart de Haro

Comment

Originally posted by Ed P
                          Good service. I have found it cheaper to call rather then order
                          over their web site.

Ed P
                          I have used them about 15 times. Great service every time. I also order the item and ask for cost, I have found sometimes the phone price is cheaper then the web and vice versa. I have also asked and received a break on the price a couple of times when I ordered a larger quantity. Around here thee are no metal suppliers left within 50 miles. Thats why I started using them.

Comment

Working...
                          X