Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square pegs in round holes.

Well, the title fits the scenario...

Earlier this year (spring) I got a new to me Hardinge DSM 59 and it's sat across the street in storage, waiting for me to find the time to haul it in and set it up.

Well, after much thought, more measuring, a whole lot of time tearing the lathe apart and some serious sweat, I finally got it into the shop. See my shops in the basement and there is no street level access. There was also no way possible for the lathe to be brought in without dis assembly, as I had only a 4 wheel hand cart and myself. While I didn't get pics of the move itself, I did get pics of the machine in it's new home. This is one heavy little machine!

The machine sat in storage before it came my way for quite some time and was a real mess, with gummy oil and chips packed in everywhere, so the slide and turret have been torn down to the last tiny part and cleaned, then re assembled. I love how nice this is to operate, and it's so nice to have a second lathe available.

and this is it's partner in crime sitting to it's left

Thats a fine pair of machines, you can make money but think about 100- 1,000 parts. otherwise the cnc guys will just make the parts.

Comment

Nice machines!

I feel your pain for access (well almost). I got my lathe and half a ton of milling machine down here on a flat dolly. I'm standing at a 90 deg turn in the alley in the pic which was a bit of a devil to negotiate too:

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

those are sweet little machines. the more i see pictures of them the more i want one just to play with.

i know where you're coming from regarding the move. the only way into my basement is through the house, or a Bilco door out back and a bunch of steps and some turns. last summer i needed to get a 650# mill/drill down there and had no idea how to do it. i ended up disassembling some of it and the neighbor's son and his friends happened to be hanging out on his back porch so i paid each of them $10 for about 10 minutes of HEAVY work to haul it down there.

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
          I feel your pain for access (well almost).
          Holy crap. You almost need to grade and create an approach just to use that alley.

rock~
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Houses are a pain.....

Everything here has to come in a door, sidestep to the left one door-width, in a back hall that is not very wide, and then go down a set of 45 deg stairs. After that, it's fine.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

If I ever locate one of those lathes, I'll buy it really fast. I would love to have one. I'll find someplace to put it and keep my other stuff, too. Heh heh.

That's a beauty.

Comment

I should say that this is not my home shop, but the work shop. Still a very old fashioned place. But since my home shop is non existent these days I have my fun at work. I'm lucky in that I do mostly maintenance machining with a healthy dose of tool and die as well as prototype and design work. I actually look forward to my days.

Now here's the perspective I have. When I went to work for this place they had the equipment spread out over 3 floors, and most of it was in sad shape. Up on the top floor we had the surface grinder, drill grinder and a mini mill. On the Main floor we had very little as relates to machining. In the basement we had the horizontal mill, vertical mill, and Clausing lathe. Of course none of it was in one place, it was spread all over. So we spent a week consolidating it all into one "toolroom", as we now call it. No more running up flights of stairs to use a different machine or to grab a forgotten tool... We do have a "freight Elevator in the building, but it's old and grossly underpowered. We couldn't fit the surface grinder or the mini mill (round column) on it's stand into it. So the grinder was torn down, moved in 3 separate loads, the mini mill was taken off it's stand and moved in 2 loads.

Since the company has a warehouse full of equipment we (myself and my partner in crime, the other tool and die guy) got to go look over the stuff to see if there was anything we wanted. We found the DSM hidden off in a corner covered up and out of sight. Along with an older T&C grinder (a Norton) a Scherr Tumico Optical Comparator, and some udder stuff

The Grinder and OC arrived here at our shop along with the DSM this spring, but we were not able to get it into the freight elevator to bring it down to the shop, so it went to live in the storage building across the street until we had time to get to it. Of course with winter coming on I finally dropped everything and tore it apart, then brought it part by part back across to the main building. That route is through mud, grass and pea gravel to a side door that has the only ground level main floor access that allows me to get to the freight elevator. This was done with an old steel wheel dolly cart and man let me tell ya, it wasn't fun. There are two basement entrances but neither allow access either to the elevator or to the section of the basement that we use.

So I got the machine, part by part, down into the basement and I strung up a chain fall and reassembled the lathe. A bit of wiring and some time getting stuck contactors free'd up and she was up and running. Then came a days worth of tearing the frozen turret and cross slide apart (without benefit of a drawing) cleaning everything and re assembling it all. It's already earning it's keep, having pumped out almost 2000 small parts on it's first full day of operation. While we don't usually do production work, there are some things we try never to do, and that includes letting anyone other than us touch the machinery if we can help it. So i had my first sore arm of many to come

All in all it's been a year long journey really, getting it all together while doing the jobs we have to do. We've learned a lot, had some fun, sweated bled and cussed, but we got it done.

Now the fun part. Located at the other warehouse is an HLVH, hooked up but not in use. I approached the boss last week and made my case for having it brought down to us. Word is were getting it As much as I'm looking forward to getting the machine I am NOT looking forward to moving that beast in the same way, and it will be the same way. This time I'll try and snag a few pics of the whole affair.

Comment

And as a side note, I said my home shop was non existent anymore, that's the truth, but when it was up and running I had a South Bend 9, a Hardinge Cataract, and other misc equipment in the 2nd bedroom of a 2nd story apartment I carried all that stuff in by my lonesome too. The Cataract was a lot heavier than I had anticipated.

Comment

Amazing what gets done when you want to and also amazing what doesn't get done when you don't want too

There are a lot of those little 2nd op lathes around, just keep looking gnm109, try and find one with the chuck, turret and tail stock intact as those parts can go for high dollars.

Comment

I sold off a little Elgin split bed about a year and half ago. Regreted letting it go but I really had no use for it then. I'd like to score another one or a Hardinge some day. Plus I always thought they would make a dandy wood lathe for small stuff. Lord knows the spindle is better than anything you would see in a wood lathe even one of the premium ones
                      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
                        Holy crap. You almost need to grade and create an approach just to use that alley.
                        I know a guy who has a helium balloon for sale, cheap ...
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          I know a guy who has a helium balloon for sale, cheap ...
                          Hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                          X