Aluminumn Project (Big One)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminumn Project (Big One)

Well the floor is 10 feet bye 5 feet wide. Thats one sheet of .125 aluminumn Now i am attempting to figure out how to make a nice even radius along the edges (the long sides) so the other sides of the Hull will fit into place. I am building a Airboat for our Northern super cold lake trips. I went through the ice already and dont like snowmobioes too much. Stuck in slush.. cold... wont start ..they sink ..dont float. You get the picture. I want a airboat. I figure i can build one for about a Grand. I had a earlier posting bout hard Buck Rivetting. Well my first rivet project (done way long ago) actually worked out thanx to the HSM tips and reading a bit. My custom aluminumn seats and quick release seat system and drink trays all hard buck riveted went together nicer than I had thought. Now its time to build a new project Bigger Fasster Noisy as Hell and try out the new shop with the Hyfronic In floor heating. It is SO nice and warm inside and i have the settings down low. What a nice heating system It was worth the money,. i used a tankless commercial water heater. I dont even notuice a big increase in my heating bill. Thanx Mike

you don't have a young son who is going to accidentally start the boat and send it out across the lake and actually be hiding in the attic do you?

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Duhh ya mean a nice radius in the metal, like a rolled up lip? If so.. this is the tool.. a go cart wheel over a curved roller.. it presses the metal into a even curve..

Remember the civic? this rolled the rear pan under..

Other than that? a Pullmax, a machine that strokes a pair of dies up and down meeting in the middle to form the metal by hammer blows into the shape of the dies.. out of my reach.. I got a hammer and bag and dollies.. with a piece as large as a boat hull, you will need a trolley in the ceiling or a lot of friends to grab ahold..
      Rolling them old 41 model fenders had sweat dripping off my nose, each time I'd let the weight down on the e-wheel it'd pop and dent.. so.. I had to hold it up and wheel it.. later.. I came up with a barn door track trolley in the ceiling like a giant puppet with cross bars to hold the fender for me.. support the weight..

ONE TIME OFF? a giant c-clamp, a go cart wheel, a curved roller and a stand.. but.. you can't get real deep like that..
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

A piece of .125, 5' x 10' would probably set you back a grand!

Comment

This is a rubber caster.. not as good as go cart tire.

Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Nice Dawai

I like youre rig. Oh steve a grand?? Well i got it all for free. (WEll not exactly) imagine drilling out every rivet in a Aluminumn breadtruck to harvest the aluminumn from it. Imagine..... the pain in the ass doing that and then its free???? Anyhow I never priced what it would cost. I guess length times width of material times thickness multiply bye .1 and the answer times $5.00 a pound? Im just averaging this equals roughly 450 dollars ???NO this cant be right can it?

Comment

Before posting that, I checked the price of 2024T3 from Aircraft Spruce. A 4' x 12' sheet of .125 was a little over $550. A 4' x 12' sheet of .250 was about $2400.

Comment

IN the front corners? you will have to shape it..

Shaping metal, well.. you must stretch it, or shrink it. reduce or add surface area.. bending it like the gocart wheel does does not do either, you can lay a sheet of flat un-stretchable paper on it and it has the same surface area before it was bent into a arc..

NOW a e-wheel, compression between the two rollers thins the metal and "stretches" it raising bumps and curvature. It stretches "around" the curved lower roller, both ways, which is aggravating sometimes.

That was real hard for me to see till Kerry Pinkerton explained it out at a meet. His project has a few bumps.. a Home built bugatti roadster w/straight six... He also builds the finest e-wheels in the country.

Once again, wish you were closer. THE cheapie HF e-wheels do such a POOR job shaping metal that they are a exercise in futility.. so.. don't think you can get off cheaply.. If you decide to proceed? We can find you a metalshaper up that way to go visit his real tools, which I, nor you can afford. I made my junk to feed a addictive hobby. Hotrods and bikes.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Mike,isn't that ice kinda rough?Sure 1/8" bottom will do it?

Maybe do what Chriscraft used to do on they're boat,put a layer of scarificial wood on the flat bottom?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    Mike,isn't that ice kinda rough?Sure 1/8" bottom will do it?

Maybe do what Chriscraft used to do on they're boat,put a layer of scarificial wood on the flat bottom?
                    Chriscrafts don't usually go screaming over wet beach sand (dry sand means abrupt decceleration) and through the willows, up and over beaver dams like an airboat. I'd put a thin sheet of UHMW on the bottom, but that's airboating in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by jmm360
                      Chriscrafts don't usually go screaming over wet beach sand (dry sand means abrupt decceleration) and through the willows, up and over beaver dams like an airboat. I'd put a thin sheet of UHMW on the bottom, but that's airboating in Alaska.
                      Ya,but they do end up on rocks and coral.The UHMW would be better,well slicker anyway
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Madman, if you start thinking of a sacrificial wear surface, think PUCK BOARD! If ever something was made to be beaten on, that is it. It is 1/4" thick, but fairly cheap, because I think it is made of internally recycled plastic, (definitely NOT postconsumer stuff.) Duffy
                        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

I called Aircraft Spruce some time ago to order a piece of spruce. The young dumbass asked me what spruce was!!!!!

Comment

Puck Board?

He Shoots He Scores?? Well nO i been married too long HA HA .Well at least my Birthday comes once a year. Anyhow i found this aluminumn to be damn tough. I was thinking of a poly bottom but too much weight. Has top be light. Thats the secret I was told by a PRO??? His aluminumn airbooat (same material as mine) has withstood over 100 mph scoots acrosss ice and in the summer over beaver damns and all over without a poly bottom.> We shall see. Thabnx

Comment

Spruce ??

I think it grows on a tree or something like that>?>Could be a Spruce Tree??????

Comment

Working...
                              X