No announcement yet.

Big (for me) aluminum welding project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big (for me) aluminum welding project.

I built this 25-gallon catch-pan for changing the oil in large trucks. It's made of 1/4" aluminum sheet with some 4" x 1" channel for the base. I TIG-welded all fifteen feet of the seams, and there were no leaks. I had the Miller Synchrowave 250 running at 160-180 amps for most of the welding.

The cover has a frame of 1 1/4" aluminum angle covered with 1/16" sheet. I didn't want to risk having the welds distort the frame, so I used pop-rivets to secure the sheet.

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Dang Roger.. got some time on your hands? I'd tied a chain to it to rescue it from under a truck too. Purty as it is, around here someone would steal it.

I got a big plastic truck drain catch pan for $9 at a truck stop. It has a nipple on one end and a cap.. you lift it take the cap off and pour it off into containers to dispose of. (of course I lost the lid long ago)

OKAY.. now you got it built.. do some engine turning on it, then shoot it with clear coat.. make it BUUUTIEAFUL... A rubber disc on a side grinder makes a excellent damascene turner.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Very nice,I wouldn't be worried about some one stealing it as I would somebody running over it.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I TIG-welded all fifteen feet of the seams, and there were no leaks.
        Wow, very impressive!

You need to get the Zep-A-Lume (aluminum chemical polisher) that Doc posted on the other thread, and make it reall shiny
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Maybe somebody could photoshop it so we could see what it would look like polished to a mirror finish like this:

Roger
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
            Maybe somebody could photoshop it so we could see what it would look like polished to a mirror finish like this:

Roger
            That looks like an extra 300, but is it an S or L?

Or maybe an edge 540?

R

Comment

Shiny is easy.. if you got flat and unscratched to start with..

Simichrome and a brown paper bag, not sure how it works, but rub it till the bag is black and the metal looks like chrome..

Damascene is what I adore.. bright.. like a shiny thing.. sparkly.. OOOOHHHHH AWWWWWW..
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
              X