Ultimate endmill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate endmill?

I got this cutter among a box of 'Dedlock' cutters a few years ago, & wondered why anyone would need one like it. Finally found a use for it today:-

The cutter is 6" long, 3" dia. 'Dedlock' is a Clarkson system for shell mills which have internal threads, the big brother of the Autolock endmill chuck system.
    More or less defunct now, but I think you can still find new cutters if you look hard enough and have deep enough pockets.
    I just needed radiused cutouts for water passages in a part for a marine thermostat. A 1/8" thick slice of 2" dia 316, with a 6-32 thread in the centre to hold the Waxstat element. The big cutter was about the right diameter and long enough to reach across the end of the vice.

Tim

Wow. Can't exactly use the rotable on a horizontal! Good idea if you got the cutter.

Comment

Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

I think I once spoke that language... but I quit drinking long ago

Comment

Timleach,
          I noticed the britool tin on the table, is that the funny size set i.e not 1/4 or 3/8 but inbetween, i have a set and its always puzzled me [ i've got a 1/2" hex drive set also thats an enigma
          mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab
            Timleach,
            I noticed the britool tin on the table, is that the funny size set i.e not 1/4 or 3/8 but inbetween, i have a set and its always puzzled me [ i've got a 1/2" hex drive set also thats an enigma
            mark
            I've always assumed it's a 1/4" sq set, youve put doubt in my mind so I'll check later

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

Didn't need to be, probably. The original was missing, described in the parts book as a 'plate' so I assume a disc with holes. I wanted to be sure it stayed flat, while allowing plenty of water through. Could have attacked it with a hacksaw or angle grinder, would have worked just as well!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by boslab
                Timleach,
                mark
                You're absolutely right, the male squares measure around .285".

I seem to remember reading that they made some odd sizes for the military to reduce 'losses'.
                They weren't the only ones to make hex drive sockets, my dad had a simple hex drive set years ago, I think it was Gedore or similar.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
                  Didn't need to be, probably. The original was missing, described in the parts book as a 'plate' so I assume a disc with holes. I wanted to be sure it stayed flat, while allowing plenty of water through. Could have attacked it with a hacksaw or angle grinder, would have worked just as well!

Tim
                  Yea, it probably could have been a straight cut or perhaps a Vee and worked just as well. But if you have a nice, BIG, 10,000,000 percent overkill cutter just sitting around, you just h-a-v-e to use it.

Somehow, I completely understand.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
                    You're absolutely right, the male squares measure around .285".

I seem to remember reading that they made some odd sizes for the military to reduce 'losses'.

Tim
                    Yes typical MOD move to prevent them walking, still have a set here somewhere with one of the rare 1/4" to 9/32" adaptors.

Another trick they had was to tap the spark plug holes out on their vehicles to 14.22mm and use specially supplied plugs.
                    The idea was if they got stuck a 14mm plug would fit but the unwashed couldn't steal 'their' plugs to fit in the ride to work, unless you 'obtained' one of their taps

Very handy for racing as they had some very very special and expensive plugs with side electrodes and platinum points, common now but not at that time.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                    X