No announcement yet.

New Ring and Pinion Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1960's Lincolns with the Spicer rear axle were noted for noisy ring and pinion gears. I had a 1963 that was rather noticeable since the rest of the vehicle was very quiet.

It was long out of warranty but I went to the local Lincoln dealer and spoke to the gnarled old mechanic in the back room to get the inside info on them. He told me that it was quite common to have a noisy rear end in a Lincoln and he fixed them with STP.

His method was to drain the rear end and remove the rear cover. (Spicers had the metal cover over the back portion of the unit.) Then he would put two (I said two) cans of STP on the rear cap and, using a new gasket, slap it back on and tighten the bolts. Then, he would fill the rear end to the proper level with the normal 90wt gear lube through the filler hole.

I got a gasket at the dealer and bought a couple of cans of STP on the way home and tried it. Darned if it didn't get rid of all of the noise. That STP is good stuff! Too bad they don't have those gnarled old mechanics working around in the back room anymore to give you free advice. LOL.

Comment

I think your main problem is that cheap gears = noise. I don't buy off brand gears from Summit or Jegs and despecially don't use any no-name stuff. I spend the extra and use Richmond and have yet to have problems. I do my own setups in the drag cars (9" Ford) and so far no problems. We beat the sand out of two cars at the drag strip (400~500 passes per car per season) and neither rear makes much noise even with the 4.56 ratios in each. I use the recommended bearing preload and use a solid pinion spacer (not a crush sleeve), shoot for the middle backlash, get the pattern right. For lube, I use 75w-90 high pressure synthetic Valvoline. I know several that do rears professionally for racers and most will send you away if you show up with anything but a brand name gear set. Otherwise the "warranty" ends at the shop door.
      Chris
      Merkel, Tx
      http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Based on my personal experience changing out a fair number of ring and pinions in street cars, tow vehicles and race cars, Falcon67 is 100% correct.
        Dom

Comment

Good r&p sets are setup are lapped together at the mfg. When you install them, you want to get as close to their setup as possible. Their setup numbers are usually marked on the gears. The further you are away from thier setup, the noiser the gears will be. If you set them up wrong and put enough miles on them to break them in (lap a new surface), there is no going back and your stuck with a noisy gear set.

.006" backlash should be fine. Where was the pattern concentrated on the gear teeth? Noise during accel or decel is usually from the pinion running off the ege of the ring gear teeth or vise versa. Noise under no load is not that uncommon for high ratio gears. The higher the ratio, the smaller the pinion gear. The smaller the pinion, the more rotation in the driveshaft for a given amount of backlash in the gears. The rotation somehow creates more driveline vibration from what I understand.

I almost always buy Yukon Premium gears. They typically source the OEM for their gear sets.

Comment

True, quality gearsets are set up and factory run, and lapped to perform properly and deliver long life. But, I've seen cheapo gears that are so crudely finished that you wonder sometimes if the ring and pinion gears are from the same set. Not to be beating up on the Chinese, but they have a habit of taking something that works, and copying it. This works...sometimes. If they don't get the grade of steel right, or the dimensions correct, they could give a rat's a**, 'cause they're wayyy over there across the Pacific Ocean.

I would be conserned about OEM Chrysler parts. Ever since their unholy marriage with Daimler-Benz, quality control as been slipping...Not only on Chrysler products, but Daimler-Benz stuff, too. And now that FIAT has their lunch-hooks in the pie, along with the UAW, they're a pretty scary bunch to deal with.. I think the only thing they got from Daimler-Benz was higher prices. And Benz only discovered they were expending too much energy making good cars, and decided to sit back and slide along on their reputation for a while. Unholy marriage.

Using two cans of STP in a differential would eventually be disasterous. The tapered roller bearings are designed to run a a specific weight of oil, and STP is well known as a "Viscosity index improver"....Make the gear oil too thick, and it won't be able to get into the load bearing surfaces in the roller bearings. Lack of lubrication= bearing failure.

We had the same, or similar problem when the Sherff's department first got their overhead cam 4.6L Fords. The shop serviced them, and added fresh 15W40 wt motor oil. The engines promptly suffered cam chain tensioner and bearing failures due to the oil being too heavy to lubricate everything properly. We switched back to 5W30 and the problems ended.
            Last edited by saltmine; 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM.
            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Working...
            X