Our new shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new shop.

We just built an addition on our Garage Shop. Whats the best and (or)cheapest Material to cover the outside of the walls? I dont really like Vinyl Siding and our old Garage has Horizontally applied Aluminumn Siding and also a noticable lean to it. Its very old but all we have. Someone suggested Vinyl siding installed vertically. I dont want it looking too Rough . Any Ideas? Audrey

Brick is not much more than siding in cost. Get some mason to quote you a price and compare it to installed siding. If you intend to put it on yourself then some siding might be cheaper.

Comment

You can use Exterior grade Plywood that is grooved to look like "Board and Batten" construction and it comes in 4 x 8 sheets. Check your local lumber dealer.

Comment

Cass,

What price do you pay for bricks in Tx? They are really expensive here, with tax about $0.75 each for plain red brick. With installation and mortar and aching back it will cost a lot more than plywood. Also not good in earthquake country, that being the entire west coast of North America and the Mississippi basin. Every has heard of "The Big One" that is expected to hit LA at some time in the future but not many people know that a Really BIG One is expected in the Vancouver area. Apparently they have evidence from drill cores showing entire rivers were turned upside down. In some areas the sediments in the river bottom are in reverse order from upstream. It appears they hit about once every 300 years. Guess how long it has been since the last megathrust quake. January 26, 1700.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

By the time you consider painting, and the time and cost of that to cover whatever unfinished material you choose, vinyl siding looks pretty good. Does anyone use mesh and mortar anymore? Still needs paint, and that's not easy because of the surface texture, unless sprayed.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Audrey

Congrats! If it is a matter of taste finish it the way you want it. Industrial metal siding is nice (vertical seams) and cheaper than normal siding. Brick is harder to chainsaw through, stucco can be nice. Natural stone is beautiful, but costly.

I prefer concrete walls myself - steel reinforced hardened concrete is natures best building material at the moment.

Dave "call me Bunker Boy"

Comment

Compare $/square foot for siding and bricks and you will usually find that brick veneer construction is close to the same as a good siding for home construction. Bricks, mortar, installation, supporting wall etc. all go into the comparison with a walk away turn key cost of siding or other wall system. Metal buildings are lower cost. Do it yourself costs are beside the point. I am about to build a 5000 sq. ft. shop and it will be a metal building. It is lower cost than tilt up wall steel reinforced concrete construction but obviously not as strong as 8" thick concete. The tilt wall construction is required in a lot of cities here mostly because of fire insurance I think but also general durability.

Comment

I built my shop with metal corrugated siding over 2x4 constructed walls. Used a nail gun on the walls.

Cost, 1.15 per linear foot, is 3 feet wide so coverage is 1/3 of cost per square foot.

Hard to believe anyone can beat that with plywood or brick.

Plus, it goes up really fast and comes in colors to match house or ?? Maybe your car or horse?

I spent $3200 on footing, retainer wall, and slab for my building, then $800 for building. It is a 24x24, uninsulated as of today, Un air conditioned. Too full of tooling already and too small. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer, plan ahead for them things.

I am a cheap skate when it comes to spending my money. Follow me... I'll save a dollar if it takes investing every last dollar I got.

My building started out cause I needed a place to spray paint my street rods.. Now I can't get one in there. Now I need a place to spray my streetrods. Tooling took over.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-30-2003).]

Comment

I agree with ibewgypsie. Painted steel ,38" wide, sells for $.50/sqft. It's sold in my area under the name "Strong panel". It goes up fast, looks ok and is durable. I've built lots of buildings with it and never have been sorry. Only problem I can see is that darker colors might fade in time.

I think I'd use screws with neopreme washers instead of nails.. they are expensive but shouldn't work loose with the expansion/contraction of sttel.

[This message has been edited by dhammer (edited 09-30-2003).]

Comment

Painted steel is probably the best if money is a consideration. Put a Tyveck wrapping under it to stop drafts. Makes a good roof also. T-111 plywood is also inexpensive- I would put (if trim is no problem) purloins under the steel or plywood. The AIr space adds insulation. Problem with adding purloins that the wall is spaced out from the existing windows and doors, so you have to add trim work. If you are covering the leaning building, use come alongs to square it. THen add shelves with 2" uprights (to carry the load) and good 1" boards as shelving (and to keep the 2" column from buckling. If the walls cannot get lower to the ground, they can't lean.

Nails do work loose overtime. screws (with neoprene washers don't. And remember-should you use the steel- the screws or nails go in the top of the ridges or corrugations.

Comment

Cass

It is common to cast footings, then walls and finally the slab around here. The walls are a single pour and rarely crack unless inadequate reinforcement was used. They sometime use the modular (tilt up) construction on high rise buildings, rarely on slab buildings. Very large Industrial type buildings are often heavily insulated steel structures - these give large open spans like an aircraft hanger.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-01-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                      X