Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the hex in the new Vice grip adjusting nut for?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's the hex in the new Vice grip adjusting nut for?

    Has anyone figured this out? I've searched the net, and can find nothing. You would think it's for adjustment, but with no pressure the screw turns easy, and once clamped there is no way that you could turn the adjusting screw.

    Anyone?

    Rich

    Sorry exchange screw for nut in title.

  • #2
    I just got some new Vise-Grips and the illustration on the box showed a hex key being used to adjust the screw. I don't see much benefit to the feature either, unless the person using the tool has very weak fingers, in which case they probably wouldn't be able to close the tool anyway.

    Comment


    • #3
      I suppose maybe it could come in handy. I recall using a pair of pliers to turn the screw on a couple of the old beat-up welding vice-grips. Sometimes they get spatter on them or they get jammed. 'Course the pliers always worked fine before ...

      'spose it's just a marketing ploy

      Comment


      • #4
        Just some "improvement" the Asian company that bought Irwin out thought they needed to make. Sticks in my craw!! I have about a dozen assorted AMERICAN MADE Vise Grips laying around and have never needed any damn METRIC assistance to tighten them.

        Comment


        • #5
          How about using it to loosen them. Especially when you've really had to crank the handles to get them to close.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by websterz
            Just some "improvement" the Asian company that bought Irwin out thought they needed to make. Sticks in my craw!! I have about a dozen assorted AMERICAN MADE Vise Grips laying around and have never needed any damn METRIC assistance to tighten them.

            Several months ago when I first heard they were going to China I went immediately and bought a set of Vise Grips. These are marked "made in USA" and are different than the China versions I see on the shelves now BUT they too have this feature, have not checked to see if it is metric but I suppose it is.

            Comment


            • #7
              I weld washers to the adjuster, it help when you are using the clamps one handed. Also helps when they start getting slag stuck to them.

              Comment


              • #8
                I assume (!) that it is to allow you to further tighten the grip AFTER the
                pliers have been applied to an object

                Just a guess
                Rich

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by radkins
                  Several months ago when I first heard they were going to China I went immediately and bought a set of Vise Grips. These are marked "made in USA" and are different than the China versions
                  I did the same thing: stocked up on a bunch of Vice Grips when Irwin transferred the operation to China. Lemme guess -- the Chinese Vice Grips are the same price as the "old" Made In USA Vice Grips, right?

                  I think you might be able to find the Made in USA versions still on MSC, if you match the SKU number.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think in the next year, I will buy all the Vise grips I can envisage using. (I already have a lot of redundancy), Then that will be it for my vise grip purchasing, unless a domestic maker re-emerges. This stuff has pissed me off. I tried to buy some Aussie Blundstone boots, but they are all from Thailand now. It annoys me when a brand built up with a national image just slips offshore hoping no one notices. Well I did.
                    Last edited by Nicad; 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lazlo
                      Lemme guess -- the Chinese Vice Grips are the same price as the "old" Made In USA Vice Grips, right?
                      Nope. There's been a price increase since they went Chinese.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I pick up used vise grips at yard sales, auctions, and at the flea markets. You can usually get them pretty cheap. Some may have a little rust but that doesn't bother me,,,,, I oil them up and use them.

                        I was at an auction a few years back and picked up 6 pairs of 11R welding grips for $5 a piece.

                        Between welding grips, and regular vise grips I probably have 60-70 pairs ,, most all bought used and working fine !!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm in the dark here, having not seen any new vise grips any time recently.

                          Are we talking about a hex head screw that's replaced the older knurled screw that's used to adjust the closure point?
                          ...or is this something else.

                          (google didn't return me any revealing pictures)
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lynnl
                            I'm in the dark here, having not seen any new vise grips any time recently.

                            Are we talking about a hex head screw that's replaced the older knurled screw that's used to adjust the closure point?
                            ...or is this something else.

                            (google didn't return me any revealing pictures)
                            In the middle of the knurled knob there's a hex recess for an allen wrench.

                            Last edited by gb25; 10-27-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: add picture

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The hex is a feature they added to make a now usless product a little more useless all while charging more.F--- Irwin!
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X