• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy_b
    • Aug 2003

check those earmuffs!!!!

no, not for noise ratings.

i headed out to my shop this afternoon to clean up two vises (i'm going to post about one shortly) and went to put on my earmuffs. in about 0.0037 seconds i felt a pinch, and about 0.002 seconds after that the burning sensation started.

it took me about another half second to realize what was going on and i tossed those earmuffs down on the bench and started looking for the biggest hammer i could find to smash something. a dang wasp thought the foam padding in the earmuffs would make a comfy spot to spend the day in my cold garage.

aside from the fact i was ready to take a flame thrower to any hint of a wasp nest just because i was so mad, now for the next month i am going to be freaking out every time i put earmuffs on wondering if a biting insect of some sort if laying in wait for me. thank goodness i'm not allergic to insect stings.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining
  • beanbag
    • Jul 2009

Don't forget to check your shoes and glove as well

Comment

• NickH
      • Feb 2007

I've been turning the foam around in my earmuffs each time I use them for 20 years after a ruddy great spider tried to hide in my ear
      Nick

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
        • Aug 2002

Wow thats not a Christian way for insects to act.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Tom S
          • Oct 2009

I used to check them just in case someone had put something inside of them.

Do unto others..... gets you every time.
          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• andy_b
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beanbag
            Don't forget to check your shoes and glove as well
            we used to have a cat that would barf in your shoes at night. he almost died of lead poisoning a few times.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

• Weston Bye
              Contributing Editor
              • Jun 2002

Never had it happen, but I am paranoid about some bug crawling up my CPAP hose. I turn it on and blow it out before putting on the mask, just in case...
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• Bob Farr
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by NickH
                I've been turning the foam around in my earmuffs each time I use them for 20 years after a ruddy great spider tried to hide in my ear
                Nick
                I don't mind a few spiders in the shop, but the one I found in the face mask of my paint respirator went 1/8 of a step too far. I can move pretty fast when sufficiently motivated!

Comment

• larry_g
                  • Dec 2004

For me its checking for bugs in the soda can before taking a swig. I hate to swollow bugs and bees.
                  lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

Comment

• Highpower
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                    Never had it happen, but I am paranoid about some bug crawling up my CPAP hose. I turn it on and blow it out before putting on the mask, just in case...
                    Oh great! I've never thought about that before -- but I'm sure I will every night NOW. Gee, THANKS Weston...

Back when I was a young lad, mom would dry our clothes on a line out in the back yard during warm weather. Went out there one day to get a clean pair of jeans to wear. Took them off the clothes line and carried them back in the house to change. Got one leg in, and started to stick the other leg in when I thought I felt an ice-pick being jammed into my inner thigh....

Had those pants off in a wink of an eye, and then noticed the wasp crawling around inside.

Needless to say, all clothes received a good shaking out / beating before going into the house after that day!

Comment

• KiddZimaHater
                      • May 2007

...... and don't forget to check your soda can for honey bees.
                      I nearly swallowed one Saturday.

Comment

• S_J_H
                        • Mar 2006

yeah wasps can be mighty aggressive buggers when threatened. I was up around 25 feet on a ladder recently and came across a nest. Wham bam! it was an air raid on ol' Steve's face. They got me a couple of times on my cheek and ear. Not much I could do to get away that high up.

Comment

• lynnl
                          • Jan 2002

The most painful sting I ever had as a kid was once when I was stung on the ear. However I've since had other ear stings and they were NOT especially painful. I guess it just depends on the particularly spot that's stung.

BTW, the best treatment for a wasp/bee/yellow jacket/etc. sting, is to make a poultice of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and apply that to the area. If you can do that immediately it can eliminate the pain 'toot sweet'.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• andy_b
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by lynnl
                            The most painful sting I ever had as a kid was once when I was stung on the ear.
                            then you know EXACTLY how i felt. although one crawling on my thigh inside my pants would certainly cause some concern. that is a little too close to the family jewels for comfort.

andy b.

Comment

• AD5MB
                              • Oct 2009

I keep my earmuffs and boxing gloves in Tupperware cake boxes. Spider infested 1920s adobe; brown recluse in a boxing glove - no, thank you.

wasp sting on the ear was probably on the ear lobe. major nerve nexus.

Comment

Working...
                              X