Question for John Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for John Stevenson

John I have not been on the chris heapies old site that you took over is it still going? I am looking for an invertor for my woodlathe and there are usually some good used ones there from time to time any advice would be great and keep well young man,give my best to our Gert .Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
    John I have not been on the chris heapies old site that you took over is it still going?
    Did John re-host Chris Heapy's web site? That was outstanding -- I was really sad when he took it down.

The industrious Japanese fellow (I can't remember his name) has it hosted too:

http://kansai.anesth.or.jp/gijutu/ko...h/homepge2.htm
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

This is a link to Johns site if that's what you're after..
      http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/
      It's really well laid out now and snazzy looking but I think there's a fee payable by anyone north of the wall

Allan

Comment

Short potted history.

Chris Heapy ran a very good web site that as Lazlo has said got mirrored on the Japanese site.
        Part of this site, now lost, was a free adverts site for Model Engineers to buy, sell and ask for information.
        This was completely free, you posted an advert and after vetting for spam, it appeared and ran for a month.

No one was charged for using this site, buying or selling and it was very popular. Chris also ran a parallel site on astronomy needs and wants.

After a few years he said he was having problems runing the site and hosting it. I know about 5 people who offered help both in terms of time, cash and free hosting. Chris never replied to any of them.

The Astronomy site was handed over to someone else and I believe it's still running today [ Evan may know ? although it was UK based ? ]
        Chris didn't hand over the ME site but just let it expire. The adverts side died almost immediately because there were no new ads.

I saw a gap here that was needed and useful and myself and Charles P, mainly Charles for the web support, put together a simple text based page that mimicked Chris's site so it didn't die.

This was in January 2005 and it's been running since, still free.
        Earlier this year Charles bowed out due to pressure of work and a job change and I ran it on my own.

Because the hosting was due to expire this year in November small Son built a new web page which makes to updating of the adverts a lot easier and far less time consuming. We have always allowed a percentage of trade ads to keep a balance and with the new site we make a small monthly charge to keep them focused and to cover the site costs, something Charles and myself have always paid for out of pocket.

Private ads and even trade ads that lie in the main advert window are still completely free, no hidden charges at all. All I do is list them and remove them when I get a sold form sent in.

We get a lot of traffic, so far this month [ first month on the new site ] we have had 270 adverts placed of which 37 have sold or got what they needed. Views are into the tens of thousands.

It's a lot easier to use now from the old text based site and gives me more time to keep Evan on the straight and narrow but still perform what I think is a good service.

Oh the site, it can be found here.

http://www.adverts.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks Allen that's exactly what I needed Kindest regards to all.Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
          X